• Tweets

• Background: I am a private seller on ebay Item:  brand new toothbrush charger with brand new travel case for the toothbrush How I got the item: these were the accessories come with my electric toothbrush (cost £50, with invoice from amazon uk) If I were to buy the charger and the travel case separately that would cost me £11.99 + £8.49 How much did I sell: £4.99 + £3.1 (postage) Total of £8.09   24 Dec 2020 - sold 27 Dec 2020 - Posted: in a Parcel shop 18 Feb Buyer opened not-received case same day, I refunded the money contacted packlink - submitted a claim of £50 Packlink replied "your parcel is likely lost.","there is a deadline for claims." (conversation attached)   (Tracking up-to-today3 Mar 2021: "07:11 - Tue 26 Jan Your parcel is at our local depot and on its way to you")   What to do now: I will contact myhermes  ----------------------------------------------- (side story) The reason about chasing such a small amount with lots of works:  10 years ago a similar incident happened to me when I shipped a sony camera worth about £500 via parcel2go with hermes, I opt-in for a signature service and the courier just dropped the parcel at the front door of the buyer (and lost). They refused to compensate me.   Today I am a mature student studying law and long term lurker in this forum, I have been reading different threads and fascinated by how knowledgeable you guys in contract law and giving out free professional opinions(pro bono?). I refuse to let these cowboys dodging their ways out of people's right and I wish I could help innocent people like your guys. The best way to similar myself with contract law is to practice them.         Packlink convo 1.pdf
    • It is America's third major spending package to deal with the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. View the full article
    • When you haven't told us very much. When was the contract made? How long does it last for? How was it made? Was it a cold call on the telephone? Was it a visit to a shop? What's the cost? How old is your elderly mother? She bothered about her credit file? Does she need a mobile phone at all? In other words issue thinking of getting rid of the facility order she simply want something else? That lot for starters
    • Hi all,   Good to be back.   Pay monthly EE sim only - taken out through a company call affordable mobiles few months back by retired elderly mother.   Unfortunately - in use through lockdown (higher call rate than typical + video calls) the signal was very very poor at home.    Distorted calls & dropped calls - continuously and consistently. Complaints from those calling us, and those we call.   I am asking for help on how to get out of this product, as for a retired person who is vulnerable - a reliable mobile service is very important.   Please advise - as I am unsure of how to proceed.   L
  • Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 25 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1551 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello

So much information out there my brain is fried and it's about time I sorted this out.

Erudio have started up their harassment again, stating my loans have matured and full payment is now required.

My 4 loans are from between 1996-2000.

I am self employed, have never earned above the threshold and although I have moved around a lot I have always kept in touch with both SLC and their parasite DCAs to update them of my situation.

I responded to erudio's first demand letter by informing them about my income and including some sa302s. They have ignored this and gone straight to the second demand letter to pay in full within 7 days or legal action, etc.

Is it correct that Erudio are only a DCA?

If so what power do they actually have or is it just scare mongering?

How do I make them stop, I don't want to ignore them and have the harassment continue but how do I respond correctly?

Also, what can I do about the excessive fees and charges added over the years from them and the previous DCAs.

I will continue to do my research but any advice on what legal action I can take would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

As long as they have your correct address and have replied/written to you there

Then its safe to ignore them

They've not issued any claim forms yet

But you don't ignore one of those mind!!

That letter is a current one doing the rounds

Several have had one

Read it properly too

Doesn't say will anywhere

You should always ignore and not enter dca letter tennis

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks Dx much appreciated. It's taken me a long time to ask for advice but i can't see it was worth it.

Claims form as in small claims?

Is a small claims against erudio/slc for fees a viable option?

If I don't earn above the threshold is there anything anybody can do?

Is the debt now owned by erudio and therefore no longer has anything to do with slc?

Thanks again

Will an SAR be useful

no I meant them issuing a claim against you..

there are a few things going on in the background regarding arrows and some of these matured SLC loans

cant say too much but

at present that we are hoping this reaps good rewards.

we've not seen anyone adding charges to any SLC loans

and no theres no lawful remit for them to do so.

can you expand..

and you say several dcas ?

or do you mean the other names for arrows or members of their group?

any letters detailing these supposed charges?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

My apologies I thought they were fees but they appear to be interest charges.

If I can't pay the repayments how is adding interest logical?

Is a matured student loan a real thing or is more bs?

In 2014 erudio reduced fees by £1500 saying some lie about cca 1974.

The balance, interest charges and interest rate also changes on every letter.

Other DCAs were credit solutions and buchanan, clark & wells.

Cheers

um doesn't sound like you loan took the normal route to arrows then.

the history is too bitty to give a proper answers

if you have letters and a time line

then scan them up to PDF if you wish

follow the UPLOAD

not that it makes any odds to your situation mind

but it will throw more light on what has gone on to enable a tighter response

dx

and they

That doesn't surprise me, my life hasn't exactly taken the normal route.

I have approx 100 letters but only dating back to 2010, I have nothing before that.

If it helps I can certainly upload those letters if you wish.

Will SLC and DCAs have our correspondence history, will this be part of an SAR?

Can anybody do anything if I'm below the earning threshold?

Your help is much appreciated

i don't think anyone can do anything now

but it would be nice to see the letters

PLEASE make SURE you redact each one

and post the lot in ONE MULTIPAGE PDF.

follow the upload guide

I would be sending the SLC an sar.

and they

hurt you

and they