Hastings Policy cancelled - Accident report form not returned in time

PedestrianPete
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2671 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Reversing out of a parking space in a tiny car park (room for maybe ten cars at a pinch) of a Caravan Park, my car came into contact with another... Rear bumper to rear bumper.

I had a dent. His had a crack... Nothing major. A bump not a crash.

He made a note of my reg and took my phone number just in case

but we were both of a similar mind and parted with a shake of the hand and the prospect of a visit to the repair shop when the holiday was over and then driving back home with our NCD record intact.

Two weeks after I received an Accident report form from my insurer informing me that I had to complete it and return it within a 7 day period and failure to do so could result in the cancellation of my insurance policy.

Third party had decided to make a claim against me.

Seven days is time enough to complete and return a form and ordinarily, that's what would have happened but the short caravan break was the last chance my Mum had of ever seeing the sea again.

Its something she dearly wished for and, although we didn't get much time away from the caravan, she did see it and I have photos and a video of her looking out to sea trying to count ships on the horizon and she's smiling. Mum has terminal lung cancer that spread into her brain.

I'm her full time carer and she'll never see the sea again.

There's just Mum and me and I hide my upset from her... I know she hides hers from me.

The heatbreak twists my insides and my mind threatens to explode with all the despair and hoplessness and others in similar circumstance will clearly understand this is more than enough to offer as a reason and explanation for neglectfulness and that 'fill out that form' is a thought that, unfortunately slipped out of mind until it was too late.

Now I am uninsured and Mum and emergency Hospital visits means I'm desperate to be on the road for her sake.

Taxis are too unreliable and Ambulances are surprisingly slow. If Mum gets an infection and her temperature rises I have a short time frame to get her to the emergency ward.

If There is any insurance company willing to insure me up until the day Mum leaves me then the next day I'd present my car to them as a gift.

I'm scared to ring and ask to be insured. I don't know who to ring. I'm scared, if rejected, I'll make everything worse for us both.

Does anyone know an insurer I could contact and risk a little trust?

I was late returning a form... No more.

To begin with, please would you avoid posting large blocks of text. It's impossible to read and discourages anybody from helping you. I've edited your post to make it easier for us.

Secondly, you should understand that under ICOBS, insurance companies are expressly forbidden from denying liability simply because of administrative breaches of their contract – and that includes the late submission of claims forms. Far too many insurers try this kind of thing on. It is unlawful.

Please can you tell us what insurance company you are dealing with

Many thanks for your guidance and advice. All is welcomed. Will form any future posts more concisely.

Insurer was Hastings Direct.

29 years of accident free driving and years spent as one of their clients and I am cancelled with no email notification or phonecalls and only one or two letters received. (We live on a very long road with many identical house numbers and very similar post codes and much of our mail goes astray.) They seem to lacking in loyalty to loyal customers.

Please will you post up the letters that you have received about this in PDF format. Disguise your identifiers

I should imagine that Hastings Direct customer relations would like to look into this and therefore this thread should be flagged to them. They did have a site rep and CAG admin might be able to make them aware of this thread.

7 days for a response is inadequate and cancelling a policy for such an admin issue seems very extreme.

can you please contact us directly and provide your policy details? [email protected]

The above is their email address for complaints

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Just had this tweet from Hastings Direct

@Real_CAG Thanks for bringing this up. If the customer can contact our claims team on 0800 035 4260 they'll be happy to look into this ~Tim

If you do decide to call the number above, please let us know what happens. These people often use these kinds of things to take problems off the forum and out of the public gaze.

Make sure that if there is any proposed settlement, that you let us know about it so we can give you our opinion. Don't agree to anything without advice from us

And now:-

Hastings Direct Help ‏@HastingsHelp 54m54 minutes ago @Real_CAG Thanks for bringing this up. If the customer can contact our claims team on 0800 035 4260 they'll be happy to look into this ~Tim

1 reply 0 retweets 0 likes

•  

• cagtr64_bigger.png ConsumerActionGroup ‏@Real_CAG 45m45 minutes ago

@HastingsHelp you should come onto the forum. It's your customer. You have one of your reps on the forum – so where is he?

1 reply 0 retweets 0 likes

•  

• ebc682c5b98cff33921f910b12b7d9ad_bigger.png Hastings Direct Help ‏@HastingsHelp 3m3 minutes ago

@Real_CAG That team isn't in right now but I will flag this to them to make sure they are aware when they return next week ~Tim

0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

• Actually, I don't think that we have seen heir rep on here for some time. They seem to be as slack as Vodafone

A very quick update here. I've viewed and read and am up to date with the progress of this thread and the attention and time you have devoted to it has and not been lost on me. I have high gratitude and want to thank CAG without reserve. Yes I will upload letters very soon. My Mum goes through periods of sickness. These come and go and unfortunately, she's sick at the moment and until it passes she'll be very poorly. As soon as she rallies again I'll be back here with the uploads.

I'm wouldn't leave this thread without being part of its conclusion and fully intend to share all things that lead to that. This thread means a lot and please don't think any delay in my postings mean it has lost any of its importance to me. It hasn't and nor will it.

My respect and thanks.

I am sure Hastings will resolve this early next week, hopefully by reinstating the Insurance if someone has been over zealous cancelling the policy.

That is the best solution, as obtaining a policy elsewhere after this cancellation will prove more expensive and i don't think that should be necessary.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for letting us know about your issue, we would certainly like to learn more about it and see if there is an amicable resolution we can arrange. The first thing I'd like to do is find your policy details so if you want to email me at [email protected] please can you provide your full name, DoB and registration or policy number? I can then respond once I've looked into it for you.

Kind regards,

Joe