Does Category D write off legally need MOT after repair

slick132
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've bought a Cat D write-off vehicle less than 2 yrs old and understand it's NOT a legal requirement for it to be MOT'd before going back on the road.

I obviously recognise the need for vehicle to be repaired to safe standard by a competent mechanic and this is being done. I'll also tell my insurer my replacement vehicle is a Cat D write-off.

I'd just like opinion on whether I need an MOT, even though vehicle is less than 2 years old.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

If it was me I would spend the extra £50 and get it done at another reputable garage.

That way you will have a better idea of the repair.

If it fails then you have lessened the risk to you and anyone else on the road.

If it passes the. All good.

A cat D repair is not going to be cheap so another small amount to give some peace of mind must surely be worth it?

There's never been any legal requirement for a new MoT following a cat C or D marker.

I think some insurers ask for one to satisfy themselves but if the old MoT hasn't expired (or cars under 3 years) you don't need a new one.

The only requirement used to be an identity check carried out at a VOSA centre to check its identity and that it hadn't been ringed - which you needed to be able to obtain a new V5 log book.

They did away with the Identity check a year or more ago so as long as the repairs have been done properly and it's road legal then you're good to go.

I have a cat C and it doesn't make any difference to insurance cost.

Might knock a bit of its resale value but I got it cheap enough anyway.

If its a cat D and has some damage, then it would be wise to get a MOT done, just so you know everything that has to be repaired. It wont make a difference to the 3 year thing, but at least youll know every major thing wrong with it

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

A MOT is no substitute for a vehicle inspection, the MOT standard is very low, coupled with the tester not being allowed to remove any parts things get missed, what you need is an AA, RAC inspection or similar.

Thanks for all the input.

The repairing mechanic runs a good workshop and is a trusted friend.

Ok, so I don't legally need an MOT.

But do I need to tell DVLA anything.

My insurer will probably recognise the vehicle as a Cat D but I'll tell them anyway, just in case.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Prob that its been repaired, but chances are they wont care, as the class ratings are for insurance reasons.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Insurers say they want an MOT despite the vehicle being less than 2 years old.

When they see they MOT, they'll be happy to insure it for me.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Whilst the MOT is not a legal requirement, and I agree that the MOT inspection standards are low. Following a car being declared a total loss, insurers will ask for an MOT to ensure that your car is roadworthy, and generally wont insure, or reinstate comprehensive insurance until this has been done.

Clouud

Hi Clouud and welcome to CAG

Van was MOT'd and insured successfully.