BankFodder BankFodder

sean110869

Self employed claim

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1287 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I had a car accident which was non fault

have settled all claims for injuries

made a claim for lost earnings as I could not earn for six weeks,

despite knowing that I have been self-employed since February this year the insurance company has requested business accounts and bank statements from 2014 which seems a bit weird.

I can prove my business income for the past eight months

but have not made any drawn up accounts as I do not need to yet.

What paper work of mine do I have to produce under insurance law, surely my payments statements from my customer less costs proves that I have earned what I declared.

Any advice welcome.

Hi,

What was your accident and when did you go to being self employed.

What did you do for a living before the accident?

Thanks.

Unfortunately payments alone prove nothing. Say someone get payments of £3000 a month, if their cost of doing business is £3100 a month they have no loss to claim from the insurers. Obviously that's an unlikely scenario but hopefully you see the point - it's not about what you get paid, its about net income after all possible variable expenses, tax and NI.

Things like accounts & tax returns show income AND expenditure as well as tax/NI paid. Since you don't have any for your current occupation then you may struggle to evidence a loss. Suggest you provide them (or equivalent) for your previous job and if you feel your new net earnings are higher than you will need a well drafted argument to show exactly why, explaining not just your income but also your projected expenditure and estimated tax/NI bill.

If you didn't have earnings before 8 months ago things get more complicated and you are pretty much down to what you think you can convince a Judge you earn after expenses/tax/NI.