Self employed claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I had a car accident which was non fault

have settled all claims for injuries

made a claim for lost earnings as I could not earn for six weeks,

despite knowing that I have been self-employed since February this year the insurance company has requested business accounts and bank statements from 2014 which seems a bit weird.

I can prove my business income for the past eight months

but have not made any drawn up accounts as I do not need to yet.

What paper work of mine do I have to produce under insurance law, surely my payments statements from my customer less costs proves that I have earned what I declared.

Any advice welcome.

Unfortunately payments alone prove nothing. Say someone get payments of £3000 a month, if their cost of doing business is £3100 a month they have no loss to claim from the insurers. Obviously that's an unlikely scenario but hopefully you see the point - it's not about what you get paid, its about net income after all possible variable expenses, tax and NI.

Things like accounts & tax returns show income AND expenditure as well as tax/NI paid. Since you don't have any for your current occupation then you may struggle to evidence a loss. Suggest you provide them (or equivalent) for your previous job and if you feel your new net earnings are higher than you will need a well drafted argument to show exactly why, explaining not just your income but also your projected expenditure and estimated tax/NI bill.

If you didn't have earnings before 8 months ago things get more complicated and you are pretty much down to what you think you can convince a Judge you earn after expenses/tax/NI.