• Tweets

• Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
    • The US competition watchdog has taken legal action to stop Tapestry's $8.5bn takeover of rival Capri.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Backdoor Cabot/Mortimer CCJ - old LLoyds Card DEbt - N55/N56

molly2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Responding to your PM molly2

Yes just serve a copy of your defence on the claimants sols and file a further copy with court.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The set aside hearing for this default judgement is set for Monday next week.

So today, just 1 working day before the hearing, I have received a witness statement from Cabot's solicitors.

Can I just ask the court to disregard their witness statement as they haven't served it 14 days in advance of the heading ?

They wasn't ordered to file a witness statement in the above order?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Nope they wasn't ordered to do anything.

The order on 22 December was for me to file and serve my defence to the court and the claimant.

On 29 December, the court sent a copy of my N244+defence to both the Claimant and myself, with notification that Monday 13 March will be the hearing date.

I've heard nothing since, until today.

Edited by molly2
clarification

Okay thanks molly...well I assume this is in objection to your set a side....can you possibly upload the statement (redacted) ?

Here is the witness statement. Yes they are definitely objecting to the set aside!

Sorry the last page has come out first.

There is a covering note stating that

We refer to the above matter [claim reference given above] and enclose:

a) the Witness Statement of [Cabot employee] together with enclosures in readiness for the forthcoming hearing on 13/03/2017, and

b) the statement of costs.

Pursuant to CPR 27.9, [Cabot employee] will not be attending the hearing.

Cabot Mort Witness March 2017.pdf

Edited by molly2
add covering note details

Thanks Molly

Okay the main points that jump out at me...the wrong address issue...they state you never informed LLoyds ...and as we know if you didn't then the last known address is deemed as good service.

The other point is that they are rolling out the old Carey argument and wishes to rely on a recon agreement..your agreement is pre 2007 so that wont wash....Carey is not retrospective....and is irrelevant with regards to enforcement only in the providing of information pursuant to section 77/78/79 CCA1974.

The other point is that they only refer to the termination date...not the default date ...so from the termination date of Jan 09...now if the claim was issued July 2015...then it would be safe to think it may be statute barred ...as the default date will precede the termination date by possibly as much as 4 weeks.

Back to the witness statement...or response to the defence.

Consequence of failure to serve witness statement or summary

CPR 32.10 If a witness statement or a witness summary for use at trial is not served in respect of an intended witness within the time specified by the court, then the witness may not be called to give oral evidence unless the court gives permission.

Service of Witness Statements

If a party intends to rely on a witness statement they must send a copy to the other side and to the court prior to the hearing. If the court has given any special directions requiring the parties to produce witness statements, the statements should be served in accordance with those directions.

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy

I was with Payplan 2008-2014. Payplan have provided me with a statement issued to Lloyds in 2010 indicating changed address. Am I allowed to bring this to court to show the judge, even though it wasn't mentioned in my defence ?

Regarding enforcement for pre 2007, is the judge likely to know that Carey vs HSBC is irrelevant, or will I be expected to prove this by citing the relevant wording from the judgement ?

I'm not sure what they meant by termination date in their witness statement. Jan 2009 was the default date. I think they're using the terms termination/default interchangeably. Anyhow, payments continued to be made until 2014 through Payplan so not statute barred.

I expect if the set aside is granted then another date will be set for a trial

I will get a chance to respond to their witness statement at that later trial.

Is that how it works ?

Thanks Andy

I was with Payplan 2008-2014. Payplan have provided me with a statement issued to Lloyds in 2010 indicating changed address. Am I allowed to bring this to court to show the judge, even though it wasn't mentioned in my defence ?

Yes

Regarding enforcement for pre 2007, is the judge likely to know that Carey vs HSBC is irrelevant, or will I be expected to prove this by citing the relevant wording from the judgement ? Only if you tell him why

I'm not sure what they meant by termination date in their witness statement. Jan 2009 was the default date. I think they're using the terms termination/default interchangeably. Anyhow, payments continued to be made until 2014 through Payplan so not statute barred. Fair enough

I expect if the set aside is granted then another date will be set for a trial anyway so I will get a chance to respond to their witness statement at that later trial. Is that how it works ?

Not always...as you have already submitted your defence and the claimant has responded with its objections and reasons...it may be decided there and then at the hearing.Therefore I would consider drafting a Skeleton Argument for the hearing (3 copies) pointing out the errors in their witness statement.

The wrong address issue is de minimis as the set a side should be granted however its a factor that should be taken into account by the court with regards to the claimant behaviour and underhand tactics in attaining judgment.

This should then be regarded throughout the whole claim and any other further attempts to mislead the court.

It will all hinge on the agreement and the need to produce the original signed executed agreement.....and that a reconstituted version is not suffice for enforcement purposes and therefore sec127 .1 (b) of the CCA1974/ precedes Carey.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/127

Excellent Molly...you need to get that filed and served fast though as I suggested a skeleton argument not a witness statement.The minimum time allowed is 3 days before the hearing.

Andy

There's no time for file and serve. Hearing is tomorrow, Monday afternoon.

No harm in taking my draft witness statement along to the hearing, to use as reference I guess.

Claimant served their witness statement last Friday, I guess that counts as 3 days before the hearing ?

They have stated, pursuant to CPR 27.9, they will not be attending the hearing. Thus seems to me to be a breach of protocol as CPR 27.9 requires submission 7 days prior to a hearing for a witness statement to be considered.

Well they have requested costs for attendance in their Witness statement...So I assume they will be in attendance at the hearing.

Best of luck for today molly.

Regards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

well done

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

The Claimant has now served their second witness statement, for a small claims court trial set in July, as attached.

I now have a week to respond to their witness statement and have drafted the following in response to their second witness statement.

1. I am the Defendant in this case.

2. Unless it is indicated to the contrary, all the facts and matters in this statement are true and to the best of my knowledge and belief.

3. I make this statement in opposition to the Claimant’s Second Witness Statement dated 5th April 2017. The same numbering as in the Claimant’s witness statement has been used.

6-8. The Claimant contends that the letter sent to the Defendant dated 20/07/2016 was an administrative error and should not have been sent where a County Court Judgment is already in place.

The aforementioned judgment was subsequently set aside on 13 March 2017 therefore a County Court Judgment is no longer in place.

The Defendant sent a further request for documentation under Section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 on 8 April 2017 which was received by the Claimant on 10 April 2017. The act states that the Claimant has 12 days to respond, otherwise the Credit Agreement is rendered unenforceable. To date a response has not been received.

9-10. The Claimant claims that the Defendant has been provided with documentation to satisfy his request pursuant to the Act.

However, the Defendant did not reside at the address given on the Reconstituted Credit Agreement at the date the Claimant claims the Credit Agreement was executed. Therefore the Reconstituted Credit Agreement provided does not infact satisfy a Section 78 request

11. Section 127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 states that the court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor.

The Defendant contends that no such document exists since not only has the Claimant been unable to locate such a document in the past 9 months since the Defendant requested to see a copy, the Defendant also does not recall ever signing such a document. Therefore the Defendant believes that the court should not make an enforcement order for the debt.

12. As stated in point 11, a court shall not make an enforcement order unless it can be satisfied that a signed copy exists or has existed. The Claimant has in fact stated that it is not able to provide a copy of the original credit agreement. The defendant asks the court to follow section 127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and strike out the claim due to lack of evidence of a signed agreement.

Lloyds Second Witness Statement.pdf

Very good molly...but just one suggestion

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? Before, 2003.

You need to trash the statements point 10 and reiterate that carey is not applicable to a pre 2007 agreement.

You must submit and serve not less than 3 days

Regards

Andy

hows this going?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Revised draft, need to get this off friday, how does this sound ?

1. I am the Defendant in this case.

2. Unless it is indicated to the contrary, all the facts and matters in this statement are true and to the best of my knowledge and belief.

3. I make this statement in response to the requirements of paragraph 4 of the Court Order dated 13 March 2017. I have used the same numbering as the Claimant’s second witness statement responding to the requirements of paragraph 3 of the Court Order.

Evidence in response – letter dated 20/07/2016

6-8. The Claimant contends that the letter sent to the Defendant dated 20/07/2016, in response to the Defendants section 78 request, was an administrative error as no response is required where a County Court Judgment is in place.

The County Court Judgment was subsequently set aside on 13 March 2017.

On 8 April 2017, the Defendant sent an additional request for documentation under Section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. This request was received by the Claimant on 10 April 2017. The Act states that the Claimant has 12 days to respond, failing which the Credit Agreement becomes unenforceable. As of 28 April 2017, a response has not been received.

9. The Claimant’s position is that the Defendant has now been provided with documentation to satisfy the request pursuant to the Act, in the Exhibits to the Claimant’s Second Witness Statement. However, on or around 13 March 2003, the date the Claimant claims the Credit Agreement was executed, the Defendant did not reside at the address given on the Reconstituted Credit Agreement. The Reconstituted Credit Agreement must be a ‘true copy’ of the executed agreement, which must include the name and address at the time of execution. As this was not the case, the Section 78 request remains in default.

10. The case of Carey v HSBC Bank plc approves a method of satisfying a Consumer Credit Act 1974 Section 78 request, which is to provide a reconstituted a copy of the executed agreement.

However, Section 127(3) of the Act continues to apply to agreements made before 6 April 2007.

Section 127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 states that the court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor.

The Defendant contends that no such document exists since not only has the Claimant been unable to locate such a document in the past 9 months since the Defendant requested to see a copy, the Defendant also does not recall ever signing such a document. Therefore the Defendant believes that the court should not make an enforcement order for the debt.

Therefore by reason of sections 61 and 65(1) of the Act, the agreement may be considered to be wholly unenforceable.

Conclusion

12. A court shall not make an enforcement order unless it can be satisfied that a signed copy exists or has existed. The Claimant has stated that it is not able to provide a copy of the original credit agreement, and also failed to provide a reconstituted copy so far. The defendant asks the court to follow section 127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and strike out the claim due to lack of evidence of a signed agreement.

13. The Defendant submits that this Witness Statement complies with the requirements of paragraph 4 of the Court Order dated 13/03/2017.

Fine...dont forget to add the headers and statement of truth ...sign and date.

• 2 months later...

Witness statement sent.

2 weeks before court date, Mortimer have come up with another witness statement, similar to their previous one.

Except now they've appended a statement of their costs.

Their case (point 9.) seems to hinge upon the FCA's Consumer Credit sourcebook rule 13.1.4, a firm is able to reconstitute a copy of the agreement to satisfy a CCA 1974 Section 78 request, i.e. Carey vs HSBC.

I think my witness statement refuted this point adequately and so no point in a further witness statement from me.

LL CW3.pdf

doesn't wash your agreement is from 2003

and they

Getting desperate arnt they ...third witness statement...that will impress a District Judge ...not

I have not read everything up on this but IME there is a fine line to be drawn between requiring the other side to come up with what you as the Defendant consider to be strong evidence/absolute proof and what the judge believes what has happened taking into consideration all the evidence they have seen.

Judges have wide ranging powers and an over riding remit to "do good" so it doesn't go in your favour to appear too smug.

As a Lay person a Judge will give you a reasonable margin and not expect you to know the law in a lot of detail. Use that to your advantage. You dont want to come over as a smarty pants vs a wronged Layperson.

This doesnt mean you should not be prepared to whip out some bits of law but the court room drama Ahaa .. here is the killer evidence moment, is best left for Hollywood.

This is one of the biggest mistakes intelligent lay people make.

they can read the law and make some considerable sense of it, they can put arguments together and present themselves.

It all helps, but the Judge by and large has to believe you are the wronged party when they could in law make a decision either way. Case law often gives them plenty of wriggle room.

Lawyers avoid court and avoid giving guarantees for a reason.

Court action is inherently risky.

Just been to court and I lost.

Judge said the burden of proof was on me to prove the recon had the wrong address and I hadn't proved it sufficiently.

Judge was not too familiar with Carey Vs HSBC and the other party argued that lack of a signed agreement did not prevent enforcement of a pre 6 April 2017 agreement.

I appealed but the judge refused my right to appeal. Now my only option left is to ask for reconsideration of my right to appeal.