BankFodder BankFodder

TheLadyEngineer

MoreThan have served me with a Default Notice for £5, overdue for just 10 days

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1285 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Yesterday, after a very long day at work, followed by dinner with the in-laws, I arrived home to find a letter from MoreThan.

“Dear Mrs. TheLadyEngineer,

IMPORTANT – YOU SHOULD READ THIS CAREFULLY DEFAULT NOTICE

This is a legal notice we’re serving you because you have defaulted on your Home Insurance payments.” The letter goes on to tell me that it has been served under section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Apparently my bank “refused to release my direct debit” of £5.91 on the first of November and now they are

“serving me with the default”

The letter was issued on November 10th 2016, but has taken 7 days to arrive.

It gives me 14 days from today to pay £5.91 or they will be taking me to court for the money owed.

Enclosed with the letter was an information sheet from the FCA about what a default notice means.

This is the first communication they have had with me.

No letters or phone calls first… Just a default.

I didn’t even know I’d missed the payment!

As a student, I was often irresponsible with what seemed like “free money” (my overdraft) and I remember a few of these default letters landing on the mat.

I didn’t give them much thought until, a few years later,

I started viewing my credit report and so I’m aware that defaults remain on your report for 6 years.

The first time I checked my credit report, I had a score of around 200.

I owed £10,000 and I couldn’t even get a phone contract.

Now it stands at around 675 and I owe nothing.

I am so careful and sensible with money and credit.

I’m working so hard to build up my rating and keep on the straight and narrow

– this just seems so… Unfair.

And I know that life isn’t always fair.

And I know that I only have myself to blame

– but still… a default notice for £5 that was 10 days overdue?

I phoned them as soon as they opened this morning and paid the £5 by card.

Then I closed the policy.

At best, I don’t want to give my money to companies that do this to people who are struggling to pay their bills on time.

At worst, I’m scared it will happen again.

Now that I’ve cleared the debt, can I apply to have this removed from my file somehow?

I’ve been looking around the internet but I can’t find any examples like mine.

It seems to me that most people are issued with defaults when they owe money over a few months (usually a much larger amount). I know that a default is a default, regardless of the amount, but given the circumstances, is there anything I can do?

My credit report for this month hasn’t refreshed yet so I’m not able to see if it has appeared. --------

------- Sorry for wall of text - I can't seem to figure out formatting!

Edited by TheLadyEngineer

The default can be removed (by force) if it factually incorrect.

If it is factually correct, you can't insist on its removal.

It does seem disproportionate for such a small sum.

However, given you have moved your policy away from them they have less incentive to agree to remove it "out of goodwill" than if you had stayed with them until it was removed (& then left!)

This seems to only be a default notice as it is served under 87(1), as you have paid it within 14 days no default will be recorded at the credit agencies for six years

You have only received a notification of intention to record a default with the credit agencies if you do not settle that default amount within 14 days, you have done that so no worries

Edited by obiter dictum

can we see this DN?

scan it up to PDF after redacting

follow the uPLOAD

I don't like this:

It gives me 14 days from today to pay £5.91 or they will be taking me to court for the money owed.

under the rules they have to give you MORE than 14 days and cant just say 14 days

it must be a date

I also doubt it says anything about court

again that's not allowed in the format of a compliant DN.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.