Speeding in London

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Many of you who drive in London will know that Speed cameras are calibrated a bit higher than the actual limit to a greater extent than they are out side of London.

Indeed you can often get flashed in the outside lane if only doing 30 in a 30 mph area.

I got a NIP for doing 35 near Hanger Lane.

Now I know I cannot whinge about that since I may have been over the limit

but it does seem unfair if you can

[along with loads of other motorists]

go through most cameras at that speed and not get done and then get done for one "rogue" camera.

It is surely one speed for all on all cameras

not one speed at some cameras

and a different criteria on other cameras within the same speed limit.

Where does this "calibrated for London" stuff one from.

I drive a lot in London and neither have I heard of that, nor have I been flashed doing 30 in a 30.

Is it written anywhere about the cameras or is it guessing?

One of the boys got caught by a speed camera (not in London, nearly 150 miles away in fact) doing 35 in a 30 some weeks ago.

Using the APCO guidelines 35 is actually the correct trigger speed for cameras - Limit + 10% +2mph and I believe most cameras in areas adopting the advisory guidelines will flash at that point for a 30mph limit - I would not be going through any camera at that speed at think I could get away with it. The new HADECS cameras on 'Smart' motorways actually have a zero tolerance now, so being just 1mph over whatever variable speed limit may be in force at the time will trigger a NIP in most cases.

Never heard of London having any special arrangement. Of course subject to circumstances you would be offered a Speed Awareness course at that level?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

cheers. was doing 42-3 accord to the gps sat nav through a smart 'variable' re a 40. and maybe saw a flash.

had read that they might not give an 'allowance'. a q of waiting a couple of weeks now.

does anyone know more about the governments confirmation last year that all working cameras (inc those motorway ones) must be painted yellow by october 2016?

does anyone know more about the governments confirmation last year that all working cameras (inc those motorway ones) must be painted yellow by october 2016?

if then the cam is still grey and working, wld that then be a (technical) means of appeal/challenge? i know that they were (probably) just over the cams limit, but if their rules say xyz and their rules have not been complied with...?

if then the cam is still grey and working, wld that then be a (technical) means of appeal/challenge? i know that they were (probably) just over the cams limit, but if their rules say xyz and their rules have not been complied with...?

Average speed cameras don't need to be painted yellow, but signs must indicate that the system is there.

The latter part of this thread is about HADECS, not 'Average' Speed Camera's.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

cheers. was doing 42-3 accord to the gps sat nav through a smart 'variable' re a 40. and maybe saw a flash.

had read that they might not give an 'allowance'. a q of waiting a couple of weeks now.

seems maybe no worries. FOI info (at mid october 16) states that there are no fixed cams (ie working?) on the motorway in the county areas, and that the only cams are temp av speed ones further south (ie n/a). :madgrin:

• 1 month later...
seems maybe no worries. FOI info (at mid october 16) states that there are no fixed cams (ie working?) on the motorway in the county areas, and that the only cams are temp av speed ones further south (ie n/a). :madgrin:

just to update this. nothing came through. unsurprisingly, as foi info states that there are no (working) cams there. even though there are cams there. :) m40 just before the m42 btw.