Court summon for fare evasion, please advice.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all,

Today I received court summon for attempt to travel without paying fare and with intention to avoid payment.

Contrary to s.5 (3) (a) of the regulation of railways act 1889 as amended by section 84 (2) of the transport act 1962 and section 18 of the british railways act 1977.

In the beginning of April 2016, I was commuting by a train from my university in Brentford to Vauxhall. It was my regular route.

Unfortunately, on that day I was in a rush and boarded departing train without touching in my student oyster card.

I should add that Brentford train station doesn't have ticket barriers and i didnt want to miss the train by spending an extra time on touching in my oyster card.

My intention was to touch out oyster card in Vauxhall in that case I would have charged the maximum fee, something around £5-6.

I have done this already several times unintentionally when i forgot to touch in oyster cards on stations without ticket barriers.

When arrived to Vauxhall my oyster card did not work

I approached ticket inspectors to check the balance and it turned oyster card balance was negative.

I was going to use my contactless debit card instead of oyster card to leave the station

but ticket inspector did not allow me leave the station.

He kept my student oyster card and started to intimidate me suggesting that he knows that I came from Southampton.

I panicked and told him that i travelled from the next station up (doesnt big make any difference in terms of fares).

After taking all my details train inspector opened barrier and let me leave the station without paying any fee.

Afterwards train operation company representatives contacted me several times in order to arrange interview with me,

however I stupidly failed to attend any of them,

I informed the train operation company that I am leaving the UK for entire summer and will be in touch when i come back.

Of course, i completely forgot about this incident as I could not have imagined it could lead to criminal conviction.

Could you please advice if I stand any chance in court?

Can I negotiate out of court settlement at this stage, or it is too late?

Thank you very much for all advices!

Edited by newera

no its not too late

simply briefly and with remorse

offer to pay any reasonable adminlink3.gif costs and equivalent fine sums to avoid a criminal record

as this will effect your future and your employment prospects

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It is never too late to ask, but you have stacked the odds against you by declining to attend several arranged interviews : if you haven't engaged with them (repeatedly) why would they feel they need to not proceed to prosecute?

They are claiming you travelled without previously paying your fare : difficult to dispute.

They are claiming you did this with intent to avoid your fare.

You deny this.

The fact you didn't have enough balance on your Oyster may count against you. The case may well hinge on what you are recorded as saying when you were stopped .....