Claim help

tezza1234
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2720 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, in need of some advice, I find myself in a position where I am unsure what to do, basically 6 days a go someone shunted me from behind at a roundabout, they assumed I moved when I hadn't and hit me up the rear at no more than 5mph

So, I get out and we exchange details, then this guy tells me his sob story, and says sorry it was totally his fault, now the thing is, I couldn't see any damage as such on my car, I think my tow bar took the brunt of it and it was a very low speed impact, his car only had surface scratches on this bumper which he said he would t-cut out.

Then he started saying to me look, there is no damage lets not bother going through the insurance as both our claims will go up and there is nothing to claim for anyway, I was very uneasy with this.... but, after knowing his sob story situation I fell for it and agreed. also I had another accident 6 months ago, which was not my fault, went down as a non fault claim but come renewal time my premium still went up so didn't want the same happening again, I don't get that when its not your fault your insurance still goes up the following year but hey ho.

Anyway, fast forward to today and I have received a letter from this other parties insurance company, its a generic we hear you were in a accident with one of our policy holders, claim number etc.... we can arrange a hire car while yours is being repaired without prejudice, at this time we are not making any judgement on liability etc....

So, I txt the guy asking WTF is going on and why he has put in a claim after begging me not to and he says he hasn't put in a claim, so I say so why have I got a letter from your insurance with a claim number, he says that he reported it to get his car repaired but is not claiming against me, so not to worry, thing is, I am not sure I believe him one bit now and am worried that because I didn't report it to my own insurance I will be in trouble.

How should I proceed, any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

That letter sounds very much like he told his insurers exactly what happened.

They're not threatening you with anything, they're actually offering to sort you out with a hire car whilst your (potential) repairs are ongoing.

Your insurance policy probably specifies that you should report ANY accident - but that does not mean that everyone does when the accident is trivial or non-fault. Under the circumstances you're not likely to be in much, if any, trouble.

agree, technically you should report to your Insurers, but if there is no claim made by you or against you, then you have another non fault accident, with another increase in premium. Your Insurers should contact you, if the other driver or their Insurers tryto claim against you.

Check over your car thoroughly to make sure there is no damage and it is up to you whether you report or not.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

as he has told his insurers re a claim, then maybe you shld tell yours as a non fault incident. even if he's told his insurers he was completely at fault.

you know how insurers are, requiring all the t's crossed and i's dotted, and they share data?

Hi all, thanks for advice so far, my worry now is,

I can't phone my insurers and say

Hi, I had a incident 7 days ago where I was hit from behind and here are the details of other party,

their first question would be why wait 7 days to report it :/

I know that technically I should have reported it within 12-24 hours,

but as no damage,

no injuries and I didn't want premium going up again for something that was not my fault I didn't.

Dont worry about it, report the incident to your insurers and advise the other party has admitted liability.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Dont worry about it, report the incident to your insurers and advise the other party has admitted liability.

Again though, what is my response when the question comes in, why wait 7 days to report it, i don't do telephone conversations well.

Again though, what is my response when the question comes in, why wait 7 days to report it, i don't do telephone conversations well.

Because the accident was at very low speed and both parties did not think there was anything that needed to involve Insurers e.g no injuries or damage. However since then, the other driver has found damage on their car and you have been advised of this, so you then have needed to advise your Insurers.

Don't worry about 7 days. Insurers receive phone calls months after an accident.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Simply say that you didn't realise you needed to report non-fault claims but have subsequently been told that you probably do. Make it clear that the other driver accepts responsibility and that you have a letter from his insurers offering their services. Your insurers will probably ask you for the claim reference from his insurers letter and give them a ring to check no claim is being made against you.

As Uncle Bulgaria says insurers are used to this, they will realise there was no intended malice on your part. It's not as if you ran someone over and didn't report it, that would be a very different conversation!

and I didn't want premium going up again for something that was not my fault I didn't.

know what you mean. when it comes up for renewal and the obligatory q comes 'any acc in last x years'

you might have to say yes, but no fault, no claim on yours, no loss, etc

if you dont, then how do know what the other guys insurance have recorded. insurers share data. and if the other guy has made a claim on his, and they have contacted you, then he wld have had to have told them about you.

then, the poss issue of not disclosing may arise on future quotes/insurance.

[removed] they got like a £100-200 damage and they willing to go by insurance claim that they would after pay excess and then have a extra £100-500 increase on insurance and I bet the guys car wasn't even worth much to bother fixing

[removed]

Edited by dx100uk
behave - dx