• Tweets

• Email and call your local councillor, their details should be on Google.  Just explain everything to them and they will have the bailiffs off your back in short order.   Do it now, and this could be resolved by tomorrow.  
    • Your latest ramblings make no sense in relation to the issue (which is whether a person hearing an SD can question the maker as to its truthfulness and reject the declaration if they are not satisfied as such).     It's not within 21 days of the hearing it's within 21 days of learning of the conviction of which they were unaware. I don't know what it is you are reading or are referring to but there is no "debtor" involved in an SD that is made to have a conviction set aside. When an SD is heard in court the only officers involved are the court's Legal Advisor and the Magistrates themselves.   I’ve just been looking back at the original post which started all this off to ensure I wasn’t going mad. I’m pleased to say I don’t think I am. Instead I am of the opinion that you did not properly grasp what originally happened to the OP and compounded that by providing incorrect, misleading and confusing advice whilst plucking bits of irrelevant legislation from thin air randomly when you commented. Here’s a few of your quotes and my comments for you to consider.     The OP said no such thing. She said she had moved three years earlier. For some reason unknown, her change of address was not recorded by the DVLA. She said she was happy to accept the speeding allegation. This indicated she was driving (a fact she confirmed absolutely soon afterwards). Nowhere did she ever say she was not the owner of the vehicle at the relevant time.         So, from advice to plead Not Guilty to advice to plead Guilty inside two hours, with no new or additional information provided. Still you mention somebody else being the driver.         What is an “out of time statement” and where and when was one ever mentioned?     Then from the OP:       Your response:       The cause of any confusion was your comments. She said from the outset that she did not live at her old address when the offence was committed (in fact she went to some lengths to explain that was why she did not receive the court papers). Nowhere did she suggest she was not the driver nor that she could not or would not disclose who was.     No it isn’t. A Statutory Declaration voids the original conviction as if it never happened. Section 142 of the Magistrates’ Court Act is not involved with the resurrection of proceedings following an SD. That Section grants the Magistrates powers to re-open cases to rectify mistakes, etc. There has been no mistake here, the Magistrates will not be called upon to re-open the case and could not prevent it being revisited even if they wanted to.   Then we set off into the intricacies of the Statutory Declaration process which is covered above.   I’m not surprised the OP in this particular case became confused. Her matter is straightforward enough (for those who know the law and the process). In summary: She moved; She thought the DVLA had her vehicle registered at her new address but they hadn’t; Her vehicle (with her driving) was detected speeding; She (unsurprisingly) did not receive the notification of that offence or the request for driver’s details; She obviously didn’t reply to that request, she was prosecuted for it, convicted in her absence and without her knowledge.   Happens every day and simple to deal with.   Unfortunately, not when you became involved it isn't. Firstly you grasped the wrong end of the stick by assuming she was not the owner and/or the driver. You advised her to plead Not Guilty on that basis. Then, when you had grasped some idea of what had really happened you suggested she plead guilty to the S172 offence purely on the basis she had moved and the speeding information was sent to her old address. Very poor advice. Then you scared her witless by incorrectly suggesting there was a chance her SD would be rejected if it was thought her declaration may be untruthful. There also followed discussions about the six month time limit for prosecutions and the 21 day limit for SDs to be accepted unconditionally (both totally irrelevant).   I don’t suppose you will accept any of these criticisms but whether you do or not you clearly caused the OP considerable confusion and probably distress. My comments are not based on something I've heard on the net or on barroom (sic) knowledge. They are based on my knowledge of the law and of Magistrates' Court procedures.  It's obvious you will pay no heed to me so when I see any such clearly misleading information provided to an OP by you in this section in future I will simply report it to the site's administrators.
    • Just ignore unless you receive a PAP letter.    Chances are you will run out the clock and it will become SB'd.    
    • Sure I read somewhere that PayPal MADE 2.2 billion dollars in 2018, so I guess losing out on say 10 million a year in negative balance is more cost effective than paying tax in the UK?  Dont get me wrong I’m by no means saying “sod it” they can afford it, I’m just hoping they don’t take me to the cleaners and at least give me time. 
    • I apologise profusely for my actions in this case. I pride myself on my integrity and honesty and I feel shameful for my moment of very poor judgement. As the sole income earner for the family (my wife is on maternity leave), a criminal record would be devastating for us as my employment relies upon a clean criminal record.   On the 22nd I was travelling to London Bridge and needed to connect at Three Bridges. When purchasing my ticket in the morning I only bought a ticket to Three Bridges by mistake.   I made a bad error and I am just so sorry for my actions and the inconvenience caused to all involved.   I am happy to make immediate payment of the unpaid fare and any incurred costs that my mistake have caused.   I would appreciate your consideration and I sincerely hope that you can show some leniency as an criminal conviction would impact my employment and ultimately being able to provide for my family.   Regards   I cant offer to get a monthly ir annual as I only travel a handful of times per year.
  • Our picks

petWill444

BES Utilities supplying electricity from Renewables

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1098 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Taken from the BES Utilities website:

Through talking and listening to our customers, BES is aware that more and more businesses are keen to use electricity generated from renewable resources.

As such, we’re delighted that these official figures show we are way above the national average compared to other commercial energy suppliers. Over 60% of our supply is from Renewables, and as the national average is only 24%, that makes us proud to be one of the UK’s premier suppliers of energy from Renewables.

This is positive news, what do we think?

petWill444 how lovely that you have joined the forum expressly to tell us about this great news. We are very grateful. This is the kind of altruism that is greatly appreciated here.

Wasn't BES Utilities under investigation by the regulator for something other? What has been the result of that?

Goodness, I've done a quick search and came up with this – http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/police-and-trading-standards-raid-bes-utilities-offices-at-fleetwood-town-1-8039226

Apparently there was a police raid on the offices of BES Utilities in relation to energy mis-selling.

https://0lly.uk/2016/07/28/bes-utilities-raided-police-trading-standards/

“Warrants have been executed today at various properties in Lancashire as part of an investigation into allegations regarding the mis-selling of energy contracts to business customers. This has seen a number of premises searched, including offices located at Fleetwood Town Football Club.”

http://theenergyst.com/trading-standards-and-police-raid-bes-utilities-and-commercial-power/

National Trading Standards and Lancashire police last week raided the offices of business energy supplier BES Utilities and sister company Commercial Power in relation to allegations of mis-selling energy contracts to business customers. As part of its investigation, Trading Standards officers also visited Fleetwood Town football club, where BES Utilities co-owner Andy Pilley is chairman, and where some of the energy suppliers’ offices are located.

Commercial Power, a network of energy brokers founded by Pilley, was also raided.

http://theenergyst.com/trading-standards-and-police-raid-bes-utilities-and-commercial-power/

I wonder what the result of the ongoing investigation is? It makes me think about the several complaints that we've had about BES Utilities on this forum which have suggested a similar kind of mis-selling behaviour. I suppose it is just coincidence

Thanks for that - I fail to see what relevance this has regarding renewable energy... ? My question's aim was to discuss supplying electricity via renewable energy and the fact BES is miles ahead of the national average...

Why are you so sharp to change the topic and post negative articles regarding a positive subject... and indeed BES Utilities in general? Keep them comments to their relevant threads/websites.

In fact I have just come across this – https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/investigation-bes-and-its-compliance-its-obligations-under-gas-and-electricity-supply-licences-standard-licence-conditions-7a-7b-7-14-and-21b-and-consumer-complaints-handling-standards-regulations-2008

Does that mean that there have been at least two investigations into BES Utilities – one which has resulted in a fine and which has now been closed and a subsequent one which is still ongoing?

Again, you're just posting links to negative articles... are you purposely trying to drive viewers and users to negative sites on a positive thread?

Can we discuss the other supplies and how much electricity they supply from renewable sources? Can we discuss, in the light of the recent bad press (as you have kindly pointed out several times), that this is a positive move...

Or are you instructed/programmed to post negative links/comments whenever you see the name BES Utilities?

I for one am pleased that BES are using renewables. Just a shame they have proved to be a **** company!

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

The offer of renewable electricity was the third most likely factor to prompt a switch, behind price and service.

The first two are obvious, to me, the fact it was third is quite surprising... Location? History?

I don't see why this should at all be a surprise to you. You can see exactly this kind of price-oriented concern on a much larger scale if you look at the essentially return to nationalistic values and anti-globalisation represented in the trump vote and in the Brexit vote.

People are concerned greatly about price because they have to manage their own personal budgets. After that, they are very concerned about service. Unfortunately for BES utilities, their reputation in terms of the things which really matter to their potential customers i.e. price – and especially service is extremely poor. You can see that it has become so poor that they have been subject to investigations and sanctions by the regulatory authorities.

If I was a potential customer for the kind of service offered by BES Utilities then I'm afraid that their poor regulatory history would discourage me enormously. This is why, the regulatory failures and investigations which I have pointed to in this thread are exactly on topic – and not off topic - even though they may seem inconvenient for you.

However, it is good of you to raise the subject again because it will make sure that it remains prominent in people's Google searches so that they will be fully informed when they decide to make the choice between BES Utilities and other similar companies who maybe don't have the same poor reputation.

A lot of companies have been subject to investigations, and still are (search 'ofgem current investigations')

They may have a bad reputation because of their past, but this is a step in the right direction.

I can't seem to find any recent news about other suppliers doing anything similar or acting on this, maybe you can point me in the right direction?

It seems people only highlight the negatives, even in a positive BES new story - and don't look across the industry.

You're right. People do highlight the negatives. I expect that this is one of the reasons why you read the newspapers. They do the same thing. I expect that you would become bored if they did anything different.

Do you have any links to the other suppliers regarding their renewable activity?

I suggest that you do a search

Your second post on this thread featured 4 links to anti-BES content. But you can't send me one link to any other supplier and their news on renewable activities? You're asking me to do it myself?

I came here for a discussion on a news story I came across, and how other suppliers are responding. But I've been given negative, unrelated links to anti-BES websites/articles...

What's going on here? This is very concerning. Customers can't be "fully informed" if you're only talking about half the story... :/

I'm sorry you feel that way.

I've just done some searches as you requested - and can't find anything.

I think this is great from Andy Pilley and BES Utilities - I can't find any other supplier that has improved their renewable output.

But this thread seems to focus on the negatives... it's a shame.

There are companies out there that use 100% renewables.

This one took all of two seconds to find

https://www.goodenergy.co.uk/our-energy/

helluva lot better than BES

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks silverfox1961,

In regards to that supplier, they only supply renewables. What about the smaller suppliers that aren't 100% green - what're their fuel-mix disclosures?

Edited by petWill444
typo

In regards to that supplier, they only supply renewables. What about the smaller suppliers that aren't 100% green - what're their fuel-mix disclosures?

Renewable energy is not always "green" or environmentally friendly.

• Hydroelectric requires the damming and flooding of large areas.
  • Solar PV arrays use some pretty toxic and damaging chemicals in their manufacture.
  • Wind turbines are a blot on the landscape, and the offshore impact has yet to be fully assessed.
  • Biomass generation still needs to burn large quantities of wood or straw. This has to be grown somewhere and transported to the generation site.

It goes without saying that when the sun doesn't shine or the wind blows, you don't get any power. When you are generating power and feeding it in to the grid, it gets mixed with all that "dirty" energy from coal/gas/nuclear and the end user has no way of knowing what percentage they consume is actually from renewables.

These claims that "X percentage of our energy is from renewables" is nothing more than fuzzy marketing speak especially when the supplier is nothing more than a broker without any involvement in generation.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

How does this effect Good Energy then who claim 100% renewable? The 4 bullets would apply to them too, would they not?

It is just not true, that is the problem with the statement about the percentage of renewable energy they supply.

All electricity in this country is lnked to the national grid, to stabilaise and regulate supply, voltage current etc. No one end user or supplier can specify where ther electric comes from. This also raises another problem, if someone tell you a lie why is that good news?

You may wish it that other suppliers match this but they cant, they are not generators and can only sell what they are given. My 3electric supplier is different to my next door neighbours but he doesn actually get his electric sent from Scotland and mine doesnt come from Milton Keynes.

The advertising guff is probably only worthy of a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority

Read what a REC is and you will see why the claim is bilge

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

This is very interesting: http://www.edie.net/news/6/UK-generated-50-percent-energy-from-low-carbon-and-renewables-in-q3-2016-according-to-drax/

More than half of the UK's electricity was generated from low-carbon sources in the third quarter of 2016, a stark contrast from five years ago when the figure stood at little over 25%.

During Q3 2016, coal accounted for just 3% of the UK's electricity

Breaking down individual electricity sources; wind power comprised 10% of the low-carbon power, solar power produced 5%, biomass 4% and hydropower accounted for 1%.

That only adds up to 20% which is a long way from "over half". But if you include nuclear, which accounted for 26%, you just scrape past the halfway mark.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.