BankFodder BankFodder

Stumpy666

Paying back Social Fund loan from 9 years ago.....

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1300 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, Hope someone can give me some advice. I received a letter from DWP saying that they were going to start stopping money from my ESA to pay back a loan of £345.

I rang them and told them I have not had a loan or applied for one, they told me it is for a loan I had in 2007 (9 years ago), I told them I am sure it was paid back as it is stopped automatically. He was adamant it was not paid back, and they will be stopping the money. I said surely after 6 years it is statute barred but he said this does not apply to them.

Does anyone know if this is correct please.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hi, Hope someone can give me some advice. I received a letter from DWP saying that they were going to start stopping money from my ESA to pay back a loan of £345.

I rang them and told them I have not had a loan or applied for one, they told me it is for a loan I had in 2007 (9 years ago), I told them I am sure it was paid back as it is stopped automatically. He was adamant it was not paid back, and they will be stopping the money. I said surely after 6 years it is statute barred but he said this does not apply to them.

Does anyone know if this is correct please.

If you are sure you paid it back go down the subject access request route

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-request-for-personal-information

other wise yes they are correct

The DWP has 6 yearslink3.gif to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpaymentlink3.gif and from when the social fund loan was due to be paid. But the DWP are still allowed to make deductions from your benefit for a debt over 6 years old as they don’t need to go to court to do this. This applies to overpayments of benefits such as income support, job seekers allowance, pension credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit and paying back social fund loans.

yes def sar route is free with them

make them prove it.

9/10 they cant

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Hi dx100uk, thanks for the advice, am I reading your reply right that I dont need to send the £10 with the SAR.

Nope its free to then

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

dx100uk Thank you very much.