Tricked into an Opus Energy Contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2697 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As the title says, here goes.

First a little background. I've recently started my own business and opened up my own shop. I'm quite young to have done such a thing but I felt the time was right.

I'd had the premises for a month and was waiting for a letter from whoever supplied the previous tenants electricity, so I could look into energy contracts etc. which never arrived (which only made me anxious anyway).

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, on the day before the shop opening, tensions were running high, stress at getting the finishing touches done when I get a phone call out of the blue from 'Jake'.

He stated that he worked with APR Energy and was in charge of handling my energy contracts alongside the estate agent and demanded to know why I hadn't responded to any of their correspondence. Caught offguard, I said that I had been waiting for it and hadn't received anything. His tone immediately changed.

He said that I was currently with NPower and I was on some astronomically high out-of-contract rate and that he had called to get me on a better deal. Foolishly, I believed him and he rattled off that he had searched through deals and the cheapest he could find was with 'Opus Energy' and had I heard of them. I replied no. He continued on with his spiel and managed to extract my details out of me and then recorded me verbally agreeing to a 3-year energy contract with Opus Energy before I even knew what was going on. Towards the end of the call, he pushed that if anyone else called, to hang up and not talk to them. He was so pushy that it was THEN I realised that something was wrong.

When the phone call ended, I googled Opus Energy and pages upon pages have come up recounting the exact same scenario that I've just explained.

I called back on the number he called me on a couple of hours later to cancel, but strangely another man 'Jonathan' (who sounded an awful lot like Jake) denied any knowledge of Jake, or third-party energy brokers. He did say, that he would look at any paperwork that came onto his desk and if my name came up he would put a note on it and he would get back to me on Monday. (I took out the contract on Friday). Needless to say he never called, so I called him again today and he told me to call Opus and get it sorted. Now Opus Energy are giving me the run-around and are 'going to check the recording', when I know that all that has been recorded is the verbal contract and not the start of the call in which Jake told a torrent of lies.

I know that I was totally mis-sold this contract by 'fraudulent misrepresentation' under the Misrepresentation Act 1967.

He stated I was with NPower. After calling Power Distribution, they informed me that no, the previous owners were with Scottish Power.

He stated that he worked alongside my estate agent. They have also confirmed this is false.

And because of what he claimed, I was induced into taking out a contract.

I have no idea, what else I can do. It's my first business and this whole farce is worrying me sick. I never wanted to go with Opus in the first place and I feel completely cheated. I admit, I should never have been so stupid and gullible to have fallen for his charade and I certainly won't ever be as stupid again.

Is there anything else I can do to cancel this contract?

Thanks.

ring Scottish power and cancel the transfer to these fleecers

they are well aware of what they do

and will block the transfer

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

To find out who your energy provider is have a look at this link: http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

OPUS are well know for editing their voice tapes so you will have a battle on your hands if they decide to be nasty.

However, they are well know for a lot of other bad things so the liklihood of them actually trying to force a contract on you ( where in B2B contract law they can) is slim.

Be resolute and stick with SP for the moment.

If opus kick off start off with telling them that you will require a copy of the recording, not a transcript and that you intend to have it analysed

Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

Yes, ericsbrother that what I suspected they'd try and do.

I called up scottishpower and informed them that I was the new tenant and that I didn't want to go with them but I wanted to pay for the electricity I've used so far.

They were very obliging and said that because I have a debt with them any attempt at a transfer will be blocked.

Once I've paid my bill I'll be free to go elsewhere.

This time, I made sure they weren't trying to sign me up either!

So fingers crossed when I've paid them I'll let them know who I actually want to go with and whose attempts to keep blocking.

Thanks!