BankFodder BankFodder

newuser123

Student Loan - Scotland, 2005 - Statue Barred?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1303 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there,

As an Irish citizen I started uni in 2001 in Scotland on the basis it would be free of charge due to reciprocal agreements between Ireland and Scotland.

Around the year I graduated they brought in the Graduate Endowment charge of £2k.

This was subsequently scrapped a few years later after much outcry.

I vaguely remember getting a letter addressed to my parents house after graduating but felt it was a mistake as I hadn't heard anything about it before that.

I headed off travelling and never heard anything again.

I also had heard the scheme had been scrapped so duly forgot about it.

Fast forward 11 years and I've just started receiving statements etc from the Scottish Student Loans Company to my own address.

They must have gotten this as I lived in UK briefly again and filed a tax return form when I left the UK stating my Irish address.

I never took out any loans during uni and funded myself my working hard throughout.

I can only assume this Graduate Endowment debt has been sold to the Scottish Student Loans Co.

I live back in Ireland now.

After a recent career change I now only earn £25k, am single, have a mortgage and a variety of other smaller loans.

I cannot afford to pay £2,400 at £240 a month.

If this was a loan I agreed to for money I borrowed I would find a way to pay it back.

My question is - is this Statue Barred or not?

I cannot seem to get a clear answer anywhere.

It is a post 1998 loan, although it was actually not a loan originally but the graduate endowment.

Does this count as a government debt?

As I am in Ireland I understand it is Irish law that dictates it

- but our laws are similar and I think the main thing I need to understand is if it's a government debt or not.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me some guidance on this.

Edited by newuser123

no such thing as Scottish Student Loans Company

who is the letter from?

is it

http://www.saas.gov.uk/

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Apologies, it is from the Student Loans Company Limited, 100 Bothwell St, Glasgow.

Post 1998 Student Loans do not become Statute barred unfortunately, according to my understanding. But id wait on DX or one of the other experts confirming or rubbishing?

As I am in Ireland I understand it is Irish law that dictates it
wld think it is scots law as the endowment was under their Act.

and, a govt debt (maybe sold on).

when did you graduate, and become liable for it. also double check whether you were exempt.

IMO

:-):rant:

certainly wont be statute barred,

need to do a bit of research

BRB.

dx

also double check whether you were exempt.

eg

'Not all students are liable to pay the GE fee. There are a number of exemptions, including lone parents, those who are in receipt of the Disabled Students' Allowance at some point during their course, those who are studying at a UK institution outside Scotland, students who come to study in Scotland from elsewhere in the UK or from non-EU countries overseas, or those who study part-time. Overall, almost 50% of graduates are exempt under these criteria.'

gov.scot

IMO

:-):rant:

nice work ford

i'd p'haps send SLC a prove it letter

based upon the info revealed

or to cross i's and dot t's

an SAR?

dx

Thanks Ford and dx, I appreciate you both taking the time to reply.

Ford - unfortunately I don't think I'd be exempt under the exceptions listed there, but thanks for sharing these.

Dx - I'll read up now on SARs and make a decision on what to do next.

I do feel clearer about it now, not happy with the result, but feel I understand better where I stand. If anyone feels they can add anything further to help clarify the situation please do let me know.

Thanks again.

Also Ford - I graduated in 2005. I assume that's when I would have become liable for it.

i would not let this slip without investigating it further too.

As an Irish citizen I started uni in 2001 in Scotland on the basis it would be free of charge due to reciprocal agreements between Ireland and Scotland.

if you did come under these when you started the course then this reciprocal agreements covers you going forward too?

get researching

but do get that sar running

Couple of links for you:

The Repayment of Student Loans (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2001: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2001/227/contents/made

Student Loans and Repayments (NOTE: the link is an Automatic PDF Download) http://www.parliament.scot/ResearchBriefingsAndFactsheets/S4/SB_13-78.pdf

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group