Arnold Clark AutoCare (Warranty) Cancellation Refund?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2723 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I recently purchased a used car from Arnold Clark and went with a one-year AutoCare warranty because it seemed like a good idea at the time. No finance involved.

Was just browsing this site and see that the overwhelming advice is not to bother with AutoCare,

so I've just checked the T's & C's to see if/how I can go about cancelling it.

As a new member I can't post a link, but they can be found by googling "arnold clark autocare warranty in detail", choosing the first result, and clicking the link on that page which says "download our Autocare policy document". Once in that document, the "Your right of cancellation" section is on page 10.

It starts by saying that "no full or partial refund of the price paid for the warranty will be made",

but then later says that "on receipt of your notice of cancellation we will refund the warranty cost, unless you have made a claim under your warranty". I don't understand this.

If I send a letter requesting cancellation to the specified address, will the amount that I paid be refunded or not?

Thanks in advance. Any other advice or things to bear in mind when doing this will also be appreciated. Recorded delivery for the letter, for example :-)

You haven't read it correctly.

It says that you can cancel within 30 days of having purchased the policy as long as you haven't made any claims. If you are still within the 30 day limit then write to them immediately – by email and also follow-up with a letter posted recorded delivery. Return all documents to them

You haven't read it correctly.

It says that you can cancel within 30 days of having purchased the policy as long as you haven't made any claims. If you are still within the 30 day limit then write to them immediately – by email and also follow-up with a letter posted recorded delivery. Return all documents to them

Thanks for the link and answer. I assume you understand it that a refund will be given when cancelling within 30 days (otherwise there would be no point in cancelling)?

If so, could you please help me understand what they mean by "no full or partial refund of the price paid for the warranty will be made"? I've re-read this a number of times and can't get my head around it, if cancellations with refunds are available within 30 days..!

EDIT: Might have got it now. Is it a distinction between the actual price paid, which won't necessarily be refunded, and a "standard" price, which may not have been paid, but will be refunded?

when did you take it out?

pers i'd get reclaiming it

how did you pay it too?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

when did you take it out?

pers i'd get reclaiming it

how did you pay it too?

Earlier this week. Debit card, because I didn't need finance and was told there was a surchage on credit card (and my card's credit limit is lower than the cost of the car anyway). Good/bad move?

Any idea what I'm missing about the statements that seem to conflict?

this week!!

you can cancel any contract within 14 days and you must get a full refund

see CONC rules

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

this week!!

see CONC rules

Ideal, many thanks! Will get that letter sent sooner rather than later, quoting CONC in case they claim it's not refundable by their own T's & C's.

Is AC not giving a warranty on your car themselves???---Not that it would be worth the paper it's written on.

AutoCare is what Arnold Clark call their warranty. I believe you get 2 months on all cars, with the option of extending it by one or two years.

this week!!

see CONC rules

Another quick question about this. I got home and checked my paperwork again. I actually got the AutoCare warranty thrown in for free, so no harm done even if it's useless. I did, however, purchase a two year service plan. I wasn't aware of the mileage limitation on this plan at the time of purchase, and the limit means that it's poor value for money for me. I want to cancel and will write to them (still within 14 days of purchase) telling them so. I googled "conc 14 days" and found CONC 11.1. This says that it has to be a distance contract, which it wasn't, and the contract is related to credit/debt-type stuff, which it isn't. You mentioned being able to cancel any contract within 14 days though; do you know if there's another piece of legislation which means I'm definitely allowed to cancel this within 14 days?

I stopped following all the detail in this thread – but your last post suggest to me that you were given some kind of warranty, free of charge and also you were sold a two-year service plan. Are they overlapping in some way? If there is a substantial overlap between what you been given and what you've been sold then it may amount to mis-selling.

Please can you tell us a little bit more about the details of each plan – how they are similar to each other and in what ways do they differ

I stopped following all the detail in this thread – but your last post suggest to me that you were given some kind of warranty, free of charge and also you were sold a two-year service plan. Are they overlapping in some way? If there is a substantial overlap between what you been given and what you've been sold then it may amount to mis-selling.

Please can you tell us a little bit more about the details of each plan – how they are similar to each other and in what ways do they differ

Morning,

AutoCare/warranty is like any other warranty in that it covers defects which are not caused by wear and tear. The service plan includes two standard services (oil, filter, etc.) and two MOTs for a fixed price which you pay at the point of purchase. They don't really overlap, but my concern is that there is a mileage limit on the service plan which I will hit before getting the second service and MOT, meaning it's poor value for money. I wasn't aware of the mileage limit at the time of purchase, or I wouldn't have taken it.

I can't see this mileage limit clearly confirmed or denied in writing. I also can't see a cooling off period clearly confirmed or denied in writing. I purchased all this in person at the dealership, so I believe I have no cooling off period by law, and that I only have one if there is one in Arnold Clark's own T's & C's. I have requested the full T's & C's this morning, but if it gets too close to 14 days and I still haven't got details in writing, I will send a 1st Class Signed For letter saying that I wish to cancel, just in case. Let me know if you think I should be doing anything else!

Update. I've had confirmation that the plan is non-refundable.

Thankfully I've also been told that there's no mileage limit on the plan I'm on (there are a few variations), so it does work out better than getting the services and MOTs done elsewhere after all.

I know there are concerns about AC's ability to do the servicing properly, but I suppose that's something I should have taken into account beforehand.

I've also got quite a bit of flexibility about which AC garage I take it to, so I can do some asking around to see if there's a specific one that anybody I know uses without issue.

Thanks for all advice given in the thread!

I too was daft enough to take out their service plan on a new car---thought it best for warranty purposes. Also found out it was not refundable, but if I had known about this site before hand I would have cancelled through credit card.

Car not serviced according to makers recommendations, in fact they couldn't show me old filters. Antifreeze not changed at two years as it should have been in those days.

I wouldn't trust them with a wheel barrow never mind a new car. Service manager only interested in profitability of workshop and little else. Same went for general manager in regards warranty work.

Arnold Shark--Never again