Discussion thread on our jobs when we were young

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2728 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It is also for her futureto have one and this is not employer's responsibility but parent's as well because at 14 she is still minor. I can't even imagine to send my 14 year old to work. Even assisstants must be qualified, the company is not in the wrong. Imagine them to employee much more experienced assisstant. It looks like this is a false entitlement.

in the real world before benefits,

A. paper round at 13 yrs old before school, 3 shillings a week

B. assist veg man selling off van to households on a Friday night 2 bob

C. household shopping for mum also an aunt who was bed ridden on Saturdays = 2/6 d all put towards household needs. = no benefits in those days, left school at 15, apprentice 10 shillings a week, left joined army £1.00 a week, pay for polish etc out of it.

never send out child to to do minor job?? we even had to have a registered red book allowing us to do these small jobs at 13 or 14 no charge government scheme.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

C. household shopping for mum also an aunt who was bed ridden on Saturdays = 2/6 d all put towards household needs. = no benefits in those days, left school at 15, apprentice 10 shillings a week, left joined army £1.00 a week, pay for polish etc out of it.

never send out child to to do minor job?? we even had to have a registered red book allowing us to do these small jobs at 13 or 14 no charge government scheme.

I had to have written permission from Headmaster for Saturday work from age 13.

Saturday girl - hairdressers - 3 shillings and tips

Saturday girl - Newsagents - 4 shillings and 6 pence

Friday evening/Saturday - Washer upper in local restaurant - 5 shillings

Friday evening and Saturday - Assistant at the "bag wash" - laundry. This was before the laundromats when people did it themselves. I used to help fold sheets and towels, bag laundry and generally tidy up. 6shillings and 3 pence

I didn't receive any pocket money unless I helped out round the home.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I was raised in a rural area and we were sent out by our school to clear farmers fields of stones or potato picking. We didnt get a penny, even though it could be saturdays but the school got paid for our labour. We got lunches though and that sometimes included alcohol so as a 14/15 year old that was enough conmpensation as you were with the same friends you would be hanging abiout with anyway.

You've updated me about history and I'm not arguing it because I wasn't born yet back then. The things have moved on a bit in the Western world though and statistically not many 14 years old in Europe have to work. It's about mentality because I as a parent would pay for training of my child and wouldn't expect taxpayers or employer to do so. Christmas is coming so it is reasonable to invest into a future of a child. In addition, I wouldn't wish to send my child to learn swimming and to be assisted by another 14 year old child assistants because of potential risks.

On the other token as far as my knowledge goes, certain pool assistants must be over 16 so in some workplaces this would be even illegal.

Apologies if this link doesn't work, the sound doesn't work on my laptop.

For anyone who liked Monty Python, this is an early version of the We were so poor sketch.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&p=youtube+monty+python+when+we+lived+in+a+cardboard+box#id=5&vid=6cfe233ce08b156c1b7c94b92d8a522e&action=click

Illegitimi non carborundum

He He.a interesting thread.

Honeybee13.that Sketch is so funny,one of many.

Now let me look back in time.Come on many must have had some interesting jobs when young.About 13 or 14 no licences anything.

1-Paperboy.

2-Engraver of silver bracelets for tourists,good job they were half cut,no training just get on with it.So many ladies names from the lads who had just met them on a night out.

Key cutter,never did find out if they fitted,no training.

3-Pools checker forgot the name,just at weekends,Empire pools i think.

4-Rock seller,broken it was cheaper to buy and flog.Rock wrapper in a garage,toffee apples etc,pack boxes,2 and 6 a box for Brian London,the boxer who fought Ali. and his business friend.

5-Burger flipper,chef i mean no training.

6-Mecca Nightclub,god knows what i did,i used to walk round.Should not really have been there.

7-Hedge cutter,grass cutter for anyone who had 2 and six 12 and a half pence in today's money.Used to knock on doors and hope.

Enough just a few memories.

Those Monty Python boys do not realise how well they were living.:lol:

First paid job at 14 collecting metal on a bicycle and then selling it to scrapyards.

I got quite a bit of money when I started cleaning up after electricians and plumbers in exchange for valuable scrap copper.

I like that one and never thought about that. Entrpreurial instinct,nice one.

Until recent years when trucks were going round and making a good few pounds.

I worked in a Norvic shoe shop on Saturdays. I can't remember what I earned and admire greatly people who know what their earnings were at a young age. I do know that it earned me some credits for my graduated pension scheme tiny pension.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I worked in a Norvic shoe shop on Saturdays. I can't remember what I earned and admire greatly people who know what their earnings were at a young age. I do know that it earned me some credits for my graduated pension scheme tiny pension.

HB

I have always admired people who had the skills to save and knowledge and savvy to think about the future and plan pensions,things like that.

Just remembered picking tomatoes, and de leafing them and the smell when walking in the greenhouse and the warmth. and picking lettuce and packing them in boxes after school on a nursery.About 10 shillings a hour.And you got a free bag of tomatoes.

Do you remember the ten bob note.You were loaded if you had one.

And gooseberry's on my own allotment while at school and selling them,memories.

I think my first job was selling flowers and tomatoes from my fathers and grandmothers allotments....we had our regulars who bought most weeks...ment we ate well on Sundays :) My actual first paid job was a shop assistant in a small supermarket :)

I just remember that I volunteered to sell cherries. since then I hate retail and would not

want to do it although people said I was good at persuading people to buy ssomething.

You are just cherry picking lol oppsssssssssssssssss

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

First paid job at 14 collecting metal on a bicycle and then selling it to scrapyards.

I got quite a bit of money when I started cleaning up after electricians and plumbers in exchange for valuable scrap copper.

There used to be money collecting newspapers / magazines and taking them to the guy under the arches. Rags as well.

Also we used to collect empty beer and fizzy drink bottles and returning them to the off licence :)

I can remember my brother and a couple of his friends nipping into the back of the pub and taking a few empties from there and then going into the off licence at the side and reclaiming the return fee !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I remember the rag and bone man! ( showing my age now! ) I can also remember taking bottles back to the off licence, lol

My first job was in a factory, I hated it and am trying to recall what it did!

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

I did baby sitting as well, I actually bought up my 4 brothers!

I got pocket money for helping round the house and keeping my mouth shut over the men my """" mother """" had round :/ :-x

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

I had a paper round, used to pay my sister to do it on a Saturday so I could go and watch the mighty Heart of Midlothian :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert