• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Big inflation coming 2017 – stop borrowing, start repaying. Urgent!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2651 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

UK inflation will quadruple to about 4% in the second half of next year and cut disposable income, a leading think tank has forecast.

The rise in prices will "accelerate rapidly" during 2017 as the fall in sterling is passed on to consumers, according to the National Institute for Economic and Social Research (NIESR).

The revised figure is sharply higher than the 3% it forecast in August.

The economy also faces "significant risks" that could restrict growth.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37838087

Most loan agreements are tied to variable interest rates. This is certainly true of mortgages, credit cards and overdraft.

A dramatic rise in inflation is forecast for the second half of 2017 and will likely continue right through until 2020.

If you have an agreement with a variable interest rate then the cost of your loan and therefore the size of your required repayments are going to increase dramatically.

If you have calculated your ability to repay based on the record low interest rates which we have experienced over the past few years, then you better sit down and start having a serious think about your position.

The good days are all coming to an end.

Next year, you will receive notification from your lenders that they are putting up the interest rates and that your payments will be increased from the next 30 or so days time.

This sudden increase in your loan payment outgoings will have a dramatic effect on your disposable income for paying for things such as food, clothes, heating, lighting et cetera for you and your children.

If you want to protect yourself then the only solution is to start making accelerated payments now so that you can reduce or get rid of your liability before June/July/August next year and also to stop borrowing.

The situation is fairly simple.

Would you rather be paying your hard earned cash to your bank or some disreputable payday lender?

Or would you rather be spending it on yourself and things which make a difference to you and your family?

Stop borrowing.

Next year, you may not be able to afford to pay it back.

This is also going to royally screw all students who have relied on student finance as interest charged is RPI based . A typical student will come out with say 50K of debt

If they start eating 22 K they will repay 90 a year BUT if Inflation hits 4% there loan will attract 4% interest which is £2000

If they earn 41K they will pay £1800 back but will be charged 7% interest which is £3500 . In effect most students will be trapped in a cycle of debt for 30 years - no doubt the government will use this to alter the terms of repayments so that students will have to pay significantly more back

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Wise advise. Over the last few years there has been an increase in people taking up credit, encouraged by Banks and government. When the economy starts to suffer, then the Banks will look to secure their positions by increasing rates.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thing is that people live well beyond their means.

I see some colleagues driving brand new £50k+ cars and moaning about having debts.

In my days you only bought what you can afford in cash, apart from your home.

Nowadays we're encouraged to maximise our credit and be in debt for the rest of our life.

Thing is that people live well beyond their means.

I see some colleagues driving brand new £50k+ cars and moaning about having debts.

In my days you only bought what you can afford in cash, apart from your home.

Nowadays we're encouraged to maximise our credit and be in debt for the rest of our life.

And that is what our economy and growth has been built on.

It would be nice if people were to heed this message this time round. Sadly there will still be families who will either miss out their CT or mortgage payment or take out PDLs or even resort to Brighthouse ! over Christmas/January because they give into their children for expensive toys/technology.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yesterday a colleague was moaning that he hasn't got money until payday (20th nov), yet he used his cc to by a £500 console to his 5 year old son for Christmas.

My reaction: What you gonna buy him when he turns 18? A house???

He also mentioned that he is bored with his 18 month old car on finance and looking to get a BMW which would work out "only" £450 a month.

Doesn't make any sense to me...

And now this BBC article http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37873825 says the same thing

"But with interest rates so low at the moment, it's easy to think that high levels of debt are manageable.

"On Thursday, Mark Carney claimed inflation will rise to 2.7% next year.

"More inflation means higher interest rates, which we'll all have to pay on our mortgages, loans and credit cards.

"If you're in debt, particularly if you have a variable mortgage, it's time to prepare by taking control of your finances."

– except that you heard it on the CAG first.

And friends said i was silly to fix my mortgage for 5 years in may

Glad i did now :-)

Yes, it was a very good move. Well done. Your friends will regret that they didn't do it themselves.

If interest rates go up and I am sure they will what does this mean for the economy and the building trade in particular

Will it just lead to a spiral of inflation and interest rate hikes that we saw under Thatcher followed by mass unemployment. For all her efforts to reduce the role of the state she was not able to reduce welfare spending because of all the people she threw on the scrapheap

• 1 month later...

I've been saving up for a good few years now, I almost had enough to afford the down payment on a house, but now with this inflation... looks like we'll still be renting for a while :( I'm quite clueless in this area though, not sure how to figure out what's best to do. Is it likely at all that the sterling will go up again within the next few years, or should I just accept the inflation and take out a mortgage?

I can't help feeling I was just born a few years too late!

I've been saving up for a good few years now, I almost had enough to afford the down payment on a house, but now with this inflation... looks like we'll still be renting for a while :( I'm quite clueless in this area though, not sure how to figure out what's best to do. Is it likely at all that the sterling will go up again within the next few years, or should I just accept the inflation and take out a mortgage?

Property prices are a reflection of not enough supply compared to demand. UK population will grow by about 2 million within the next 5 years, so even more demand. Prices will keep increasing until there is enough new properties to cater for the demand. This is very unlikely. I can't see there being a price crash due to economics. If the UK economy is affected, causing repossessions to happen, then this just means those with cash getting cheaper properties to make money from by selling on or renting out.

If you are in stable employment and can afford to get on the property ladder, then it is worth doing. When a flat sold in my road for £155k about 4 years ago, i thought the buyers were mad. But now the same flat in good condition would sell for £200k. There is a new development of similar sized new build flats for retired people not to far away selling for over £300k. I can't see any reduction in property prices and rental prices increasing. If people buying buy to let properties are paying more, then this will be reflected in the rents they want to charge.

The UK is not in a unique situation. They have the same problems in Australia, New Zealand and US. You would have to be on a fantastic salary to live anywhere near Sydney.

If you speak languages, have qualifications/skills you are better living somewhere else, if you can get a good job.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Something to think about is , if interest rates rose by 1 or 2 % could you afford the increased repayments, It really isn't that many years ago that interest rates were at 15 % (ok 25 years but doesn't seem that long). Of course no one can force what will happen and remember that while the Euro may or may not collapse it is the value of the £ against other major currencies that matters. Oil will increase in price next year due to the cap put in place by OPEC , well thats if the world economy carries on as it is now , if the $ gets stronger , oil goes up even more to us which will push inflation up, most analysts believe inflation will increase next year anyway.

I'm sorry but no crystal ball here

Property prices are a reflection of not enough supply compared to demand. UK population will grow by about 2 million within the next 5 years, so even more demand. Prices will keep increasing until there is enough new properties to cater for the demand. This is very unlikely. I can't see there being a price crash due to economics. If the UK economy is affected, causing repossessions to happen, then this just means those with cash getting cheaper properties to make money from by selling on or renting out.

If you are in stable employment and can afford to get on the property ladder, then it is worth doing. When a flat sold in my road for £155k about 4 years ago, i thought the buyers were mad. But now the same flat in good condition would sell for £200k. There is a new development of similar sized new build flats for retired people not to far away selling for over £300k. I can't see any reduction in property prices and rental prices increasing. If people buying buy to let properties are paying more, then this will be reflected in the rents they want to charge.

The UK is not in a unique situation. They have the same problems in Australia, New Zealand and US. You would have to be on a fantastic salary to live anywhere near Sydney.

If you speak languages, have qualifications/skills you are better living somewhere else, if you can get a good job.

I am actually thinking about moving abroad - the company I work for has an office in Israel, I speak the language... but all my savings are in sterling! Before the Brexit vote, I almost had enough money. Now, when I convert it to shekel, I get 20% less.

I have very little understanding of the market at all, economics are NOT my strong point. Or even a point at all. So should I convert it and buy something smaller, or keep saving and risk my savings being worth even less... I don't know!

4 years ago I had split up with my ex, And was paying half a small mortgage which i still pay to this day

I was renting a house and it was costing me £650 a month in rent

I decided that i had to buy another house as i hate renting, So i worked 60-80 hours a week until i have my 10% deposit, Couldn't do help to buy as i owned another house

I bought this house 2.5 years ago on an 18 year mortgage, And i still pay £20 a month less than i paid in rent back then, And now fixed for 5 years

Rents are climbing rapidly these days, It is nearly always better to own than to rent

I have a great final salary pension, And i really didn't want to retire and have to pay out big rent from it

Edited by colin11
added to

4 years ago I had split up with my ex was paying half a small mortgage which i still pay to this day

I was renting a house and it was costing me £650 a month in rent

I decided that i had to buy another house as i hate renting, So i worked 60-80 hours a week until i have my 10% deposit, Couldn't do help to buy as i owned another house

I bought this house 2.5 years ago on an 18 year mortgage, And i still pay £20 a month less than i paid in rent back then, And now fixed for 5 years

Rents are climbing rapidly these days, It is nearly always better to own than to rent

True - thanks for this. The problem is that I don't quite have enough yet, because of the fall of the sterling. Buying on paper is quite a popular option, as it's quite a bit cheaper, but it also means that I would have to pay rent as well as mortgage until it's built. Part of me is saying - go for it, you'll figure out where the money is coming from - and part of me want to hold back, waiting until I have a bit more saved up.

On the bright side, I got a raise today!! :) I'm celebrating!!!

I am actually thinking about moving abroad - the company I work for has an office in Israel, I speak the language... but all my savings are in sterling! Before the Brexit vote, I almost had enough money. Now, when I convert it to shekel, I get 20% less.

I have very little understanding of the market at all, economics are NOT my strong point. Or even a point at all. So should I convert it and buy something smaller, or keep saving and risk my savings being worth even less... I don't know!

Move to Israel where it is cheaper to rent. If you can get a good salary, you might save more. You can keep a UK savings account, if you use a relatives address for bank record/communication purposes. When Sterling picks up in value you can transfer money to Israel if you wished and to buy a property there.

Worth looking into.

The UK is going to become a very overcrowded country ( more than now), as immigration controls after Brexit are unlikely to reduce net migration numbers. Brexit might deal with EU migration, but instead UK will offer visas to people from outside the EU. Building of new houses will never keep up with the demand there is for places to live. Therefore prices will keep increasing, as will the rent.

When Sterling picks up in value you can transfer money to Israel if you wished and to buy a property there.

Any idea how long that will be?

Most of my savings are in Santandar's 123 so I'm getting good interest, but I don't want to have to rent for a few years before buying. As I mentioned, buying on paper is an option - but then I'd still be paying rent... why can't life be simple?!!!

Any idea how long that will be?

Most of my savings are in Santandar's 123 so I'm getting good interest, but I don't want to have to rent for a few years before buying. As I mentioned, buying on paper is an option - but then I'd still be paying rent... why can't life be simple?!!!

No expert and i think experts would find it difficult to predict, given the uncertain circumstances.

But i think Sterling will gradually increase over the next year against both Euro and US Dollar. I can't see the current value of Sterling being maintained for too long. You have elections in some EU countries, EU mainland Banks weaker than most UK Banks and UK economy is outperforming many. Investors will therefore look to the UK and i can see Sterling rise by at least 10% against other currencies.

If you search online you will find predictions on currency levels over the next 12 months.

No expert and i think experts would find it difficult to predict, given the uncertain circumstances.

But i think Sterling will gradually increase over the next year against both Euro and US Dollar. I can't see the current value of Sterling being maintained for too long. You have elections in some EU countries, EU mainland Banks weaker than most UK Banks and UK economy is outperforming many. Investors will therefore look to the UK and i can see Sterling rise by at least 10% against other currencies.

If you search online you will find predictions on currency levels over the next 12 months.

Ok, thanks for your advice

Your sage words have filled me with confidence! :)

(and I love your elephant, she's hypnotic!)

• 1 month later...
And friends said i was silly to fix my mortgage for 5 years in may

Glad i did now :-)

Colin, IMHO your absolutly on the button. If you can borrow on the present low rates, are able to get fixed rates and inflation takes off you would be quids in. The winners at the momement are those with fixed rate low interest loans and the losers are the carefull one's with loads of savings and earning next to nowt interest rates waiting whilst inflation erodes the buying power of their cash. Or worse still, they end up in a care home. House and cash gone.

• Confused 1