Car accident while on compnay business in rental car paid for by employer-are they liable for my increased insurance ?

needadvice1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I had a non fault accident while I was on biz for the company I work for.

I believe I have to notify my insurer of this when my policy renews. I know my premium will cost more because of this. I believe my company should pay the difference.

Just to clarify. I was in a rental car and the insurance and car was paid for by my company directly so it was not my personal insurance.

Hi.

I had a non fault accident while I was on biz for the company I work for.

I believe I have to notify my insurer of this when my policy renews. I know my premium will cost more because of this. I believe my company should pay the difference.

Just to clarify. I was in a rental car and the insurance and car was paid for by my company directly so it was not my personal insurance.

Techically it is part of your driving experience, so yes you should advise current and future Insurers during the next 5 years, as required by Insurance declarations.

Because the rental car was not in your name and it was arranged by your company, it won't appear on any database in your name. Many people might then decide that a company rental car is not related to private car insurance and decide it is not relevant. They therefore don't advise private car Insurers and don't pay a higher premium as a result.

The other issue you have with declaring rental car accidents is that once this appears on databases it can get confused with your experience driving your own car. It will just appear as a ticked box that you have had an accident claim and the notes about it being in a rental car will be on whatever insurance companies system you advise about the precise details. Using comparison sites will also make life complicated, as that data will then be available to all insurance companies who buy it and you then have this accident claim to explain to all companies you approach for quotes.

What is technically correct and what is less hassle will be the choice chosen by many.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

I had a non-fault accident while on company business in a rental car paid for by my employer. even though its non fault, I'm sure this will increase my personal car insurance premium. am I liable to pay the increase out of my own pocket? or is my company liable? help please! thanks very much.

as I understand it, many insurance companies increase premiums for fault and non fault accidents. I can prove the increase is down to the accident because I can ask for a quote with and without the accident being in the calculation, is that makes sense.

If the hire car is in the companies name and accident non fault, then most people would not think private car insurers need to be advised. Technically it is part of your driving experience and should be advised, but given that a non fault accident will add a small loading increasing premiums, you will understand why people might not be motivated to pick up the phone. If the hire car was in the companies name, there will not be any central database record with the drivers names that could be checked. Most hire companies have repair garages and will seek a recovery from an at fault third party without touching their own insurance.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If the hire car is in the companies name and accident non fault, then most people would not think private car insurers need to be advised. Technically it is part of your driving experience and should be advised, but given that a non fault accident will add a small loading increasing premiums, you will understand why people might not be motivated to pick up the phone. If the hire car was in the companies name, there will not be any central database record with the drivers names that could be checked. Most hire companies have repair garages and will seek a recovery from an at fault third party without touching their own insurance.

so should I advise my insurers or not?

because the accident would not have happened if I was not out on business for them.

You have follow the logic on this.

Say you travelled on a train for a business trip and the train crashed causing your death, would you expect your family to be able to sue your employers ?

No of course the employer could not be held liable. Your family would sue the train company or track operator depending on evidence of their liability.