RSA Home Insurance / Shattered Patio Door Glass

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2738 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My OH's elderly parents have Home Insurance policy with RSA through Lloyds bank.

In July 2015 one of their patio doors glass shattered and had to be replaced.

They submitted a claim and glass was eventually replaced (3 weeks) by Evander Glazing, who assumed it was due to direct sunlight / heat.

Whilst replacing it the glass shattered again therefore replaced on 2nd attempt.

Today the same glass shattered again.

My question is, would the replacement glass be under any sort of guarantee?

Thank-you

Well yes it would be classed as under maufacturer warranty BUT i would be questioning why 3 d/g units have shattered in the same frame.

Something wrong in either the frame or the installation of the frame, for example, is there a suitable lintel installed above the patio door?

If not then there could be excessive pressure being placed on the frame and thus the d/g unit aswell.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Well yes it would be classed as under maufacturer warranty BUT i would be questioning why 3 d/g units have shattered in the same frame.

Something wrong in either the frame or the installation of the frame, for example, is there a suitable lintel installed above the patio door?

If not then there could be excessive pressure being placed on the frame and thus the d/g unit aswell.

Thanks martin2006.

Well funny enough that was something else I was going to mention.

I wasn't there when they eventually turned up today (I was there earlier to look at damage) and they had the audacity to suggest that a stone or some other foreign object caused it.

The previous second time that it shattered was when the fitter was replacing it into the frame.

My OH will be calling RSA tomorrow but I just wanted some clarity on the matter.

For clarity baz are these the sliding type patio door where one pane is fixed and the other slides or french doors, both opening?

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Sliding door with one pane fixed.

I spoke to my brother-in-law earlier who was in attendance last year when first repaired.

He did say that the fitter was having trouble fitting correctly hence it shattered a second time.

He also mentioned the possibility of frame issues.

I think your problem may well lie in the frame being warped due to there not being a catnic lintel installed and excessive weight if the above brickwork pressing down.

Agree, sounds more than just replacement glass. Insurance is restricted to broken glass claim and not any building material issues. If there is a lintel or frame issue, then this is not covered by Insurance.

I would expect RSA to say that it should be boarded up until it is found out what the problem is. RSA should pay the cost of glass less any excess and anything else if your OH's parents issue,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ok martin2006 thanks again.

It is a newish house approx 15 years old.

How will they be able to confirm this?

Would heat / sunlight cause patio doors to shatter?

Glass would not just shatter like that. It has to conform to relevant safety standards.

My Dad had a problem with metal shower door and glass, with the metal heating up (expansion/contraction). In the end, the frame was adjusted in some way and different glass fitted.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ok cheers once again.

My OH will speak to insurance tomorrow on her mum and dads behalf with further questions.

I believe they have put a film over the damage for now and ordered the glass for end of next week. I mentioned earlier their assumption of damage causation.

RSA would not proceed with claim until excess was paid today.

I just wondered whether their should have been a claim at all if the replacement glass was faulty or fitted incorrectly.

The frame itself will expand and contract but when the glass is fitted to the frame, spacers are used so the glass and frame should not actually come into contact with each other, unless of course the frame is so badly warped that it impinges on the glass unit.

It will require some more investigation to pinpoint whats going wrong and more importantly, why.

All very strange and a coincidence that this is a third time this has happened.

Sorry I am no expert but surely the glass, being a patio door would be heat resistant?

Could we request an accessor from RSA to come and look at damage due to circumstances?

You could request an assessor but that in itself could open a big can of worms, especially if the assessor thinks its an installation problem. That leaves your parents with the problem of a declined claim and cost of replacement of the glass themselves every time it shatters.

Have a builder or other reputable glass firm come out and check it out for you to establish what the cause is.