Caught using brother student oyster card-SOMEBODY HELP!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2724 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There can be a difference in payg fare : there is also a discount to some Payg fares if the 18+ Student Oyster has had a 16-25 (year old's) Railcard applied to it.

We need to wait for the op to confirm what's on the card.

If It's a straight 18+ card pay as you go without any railcard discount on it, he might have done nothing wrong.

Could be inspector mistake.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely, they'll write to you, asking for your explanation of events.

Worst case scenario is if you don't tell the truth when you write back, as then they'll likely prosecute. This can happen if people try to "put a spin" on events, and end up describing something TfL know is unlikely .... so don't be tempted to embellish the truth!

I will tell them the truth and accept my mistake and will apologise for my error. I'll tell exactly what happened so is that fine?when i told him i used my brother card by mistake and he said that we've heard this so many times...

Looking at TfL fares, if your brother's card did not have a weekly, monthly ticket but just pay as you go, the fare is the same as adult oyster.

So, if you we're using pay as you go on your brother's oyster, you haven't evaded your fare: Pay as you go is transferable.

Did your brother's oyster have a weekly or monthly pass?

He had a weekly pass😕

We need to wait for the op to confirm what's on the card.

If It's a straight 18+ card pay as you go without any railcard discount on it, he might have done nothing wrong.

Could be inspector mistake.

It is a 18+ card with weekly pass meaning its cheaper compare to normal adult card.

Yes, that's why you were done by TfL.

So initial advice stands.

Grovelling apology and accept to pay their costs

Alright. I'll accept my mistake, ask for apology, would make sure it won't happen again and i'm ready to pay the fine.

Edited by shaharyar

Told you that in post 3

All you are doing by ringing is winding them and yourself up

Simple mistake

Easily sorted by the right style of letter

Sit on your hands!!!

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It's not a fine, admin costs

What is it then?

Told you that in post 3

All you are doing by ringing is winding them and yourself up

Simple mistake

Easily sorted by the right style of letter

Sit on your hands!!!

Dx

I haven't rang them yet. Just waiting for what they might do

Good don't!!

Until its been to court they can't fine you

But

If they do write

Then you need to do some grovelling

Offer to pay all admin costs and an equivalent sum to any fine you would get at court

To avoid a criminal record which will hurt your future

You need to go read Like threads

DX

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What is it then?

It's admin costs, as said.

I fine can only be given by a court of law and very few authorised bodies.

TfL is not an authorised body, so they can't fine you, but they can ask for admin costs instead of taking you to court.

Wait for a letter and if it arrives, respond with a grovelling apology.

Sorry to repeat the same thing again

Good don't!!

Until its been to court they can't fine you

But

If they do write

Then you need to do some grovelling

Offer to pay all admin costs and an equivalent sum to any fine you would get at court

To avoid a criminal record which will hurt your future

You need to go read Like threads

DX

It's admin costs, as said.

I fine can only be given by a court of law and very few authorised bodies.

TfL is not an authorised body, so they can't fine you, but they can ask for admin costs instead of taking you to court.

Wait for a letter and if it arrives, respond with a grovelling apology.

Sorry to repeat the same thing again

I have now recieved a letter from tfl stating

"You were reported to tfl for failing to produce a valid ticket, pass or photocard for your journey". Now I am asked to fill out a form.

There are two options either;

1. If you deny committing offence, please explain why. But it also says mistake or accident is not a defence. The fact that you were on a tfl service without a valid ticket is normally sufficient for a conviction.

2. If you accept committing an offence, please provide exceptional reasons, including evidence, as to why tfl should not proceed with a prosecution.

How should i write my letter and what should I include?

Best excuse so far.

Brothers trousers!!!!

!

What do you mean best excuse? I am being honest since I was going to my first interview I didn't have a formal trousers...

option 2

time for a nice grovelling letter.

brief

to the point

offer to pay any reasonable admin costs and equivalent monetary sums toward a fine

and they

option 2

time for a nice grovelling letter.

brief

to the point

offer to pay any reasonable admin costs and equivalent monetary sums toward a fine

Are you sure? Its not that I am not accepting my mistake but I do not really want to go court!

Are you sure? Its not that I am not accepting my mistake but I do not really want to go court!

You can take the good advice or not. It is your best chance of avoiding court.

What do you have to lose by writing as suggested?.

What better option has been suggested or better option you have planned?

Yes option 2, but don't mention the trousers thing. As mentioned previously it sounds like a very far-fetched excuse! We can joke about it on here, but the train company receiving the letter are going to think you're making things up. Obviously you know the truth, but please appreciate how it could appear. The train companies have heard every excuse in the book - and plenty more. Don't give them any reason to doubt your honesty or sincerity by writing about such a fanciful excuse. There are so many threads on how, by accident, someone picked up their brother, friends, grandmothers, fathers oyster card (which all happened to be subsidised or cheaper), than their own.

Write the letter, be apologetic and offer to pay costs to them now. This offers you the chance (the best chance) to avoid court and to avoid a fine. Remember as outlined above, only a court can impose a fine. What you're offering is to pay admin costs to the train company - no doubt they will be quite high but the alternative is you attending court (mind you this gives you a chance to wear those formal trousers again from your brother)!

Good luck.

You can take the good advice or not. It is your best chance of avoiding court.

What do you have to lose by writing as suggested?.

What better option has been suggested or better option you have planned?

Sorry bazza I just wanted to be certain thats it nothing more!

post your letter up here first

have a look at like threads

there are examples

You may wish to write to the prosecution office with an apology and ask if you may be allowed to pay the outstanding fare and all the reasonable costs incurred by the company in order to preserve your good name by resolving this without court action. The Rail Company is not obliged to agree, but if they do it does remove the likelihood of a conviction and court record.

and they

Yes option 2, but don't mention the trousers thing. As mentioned previously it sounds like a very far-fetched excuse! We can joke about it on here, but the train company receiving the letter are going to think you're making things up. Obviously you know the truth, but please appreciate how it could appear. The train companies have heard every excuse in the book - and plenty more. Don't give them any reason to doubt your honesty or sincerity by writing about such a fanciful excuse. There are so many threads on how, by accident, someone picked up their brother, friends, grandmothers, fathers oyster card (which all happened to be subsidised or cheaper), than their own.

Write the letter, be apologetic and offer to pay costs to them now. This offers you the chance (the best chance) to avoid court and to avoid a fine. Remember as outlined above, only a court can impose a fine. What you're offering is to pay admin costs to the train company - no doubt they will be quite high but the alternative is you attending court (mind you this gives you a chance to wear those formal trousers again from your brother)!

Good luck.

I just want to say that i did wear my brother trousers and used his card. That is the truth, so should i mention it or not?

Also the officer who noted all the details, i told him this as well and he wrote it down on a piece of paper....

Thank you for your help.

post your letter up here first

have a look at like threads

there are examples

You may wish to write to the prosecution office with an apology and ask if you may be allowed to pay the outstanding fare and all the reasonable costs incurred by the company in order to preserve your good name by resolving this without court action. The Rail Company is not obliged to agree, but if they do it does remove the likelihood of a conviction and court record.

Thanks alot for the info

I'll try to type a letter asap and post it up here.

great no bother

should be easy to resolve

lots here have succeeded and it is a mistake and a first 'offence'

and they