Moneybarn - Court hearing in 3 weeks

thescribe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a court hearing with money barn in 3 weeks

where they are seeking a return of a car I have on finance with them.

Firstly, hands up, entirely my own fault.

Circumstances are this.

I haven't yet paid a third.

In february I got into financial difficulty and instead of discussing it with them I did a fine impression of an ostrich and ignored all their letters.

One of them was a termination notice, that much I do remember, and it followed all the others into the bin.

(No, I'm not sure what I hoped to achieve by that either.)

I then got a letter stating that they had passed it to their repo company who would be in touch.

I heard nothing then until I got this pack from the court telling me of the court date.

They are seeking:

- the full finance amount outstanding,

including all the interest that would have been payable under the 5 year contract (even though it's just over 2 years)

- compensation

- the return of the car

I contacted them via email, apologised, explained about being poorly

and told them that I would be able to bring the account fully up to date on the 29th of November.

They declined.

Is there anything I can do?

I think they're taking the a bit wanting all the money AND the car?

I have to fill in a defence form and was thinking about saying that they can have the car and the outstanding finance LESS the book value of the car.

Any suggestions?

you have two options to try to keep the car,to request a suspended repo order or a time order

have a read of time orders here

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/06C%20EW%20Time%20order%20-%20hire%20purchase%20or%20conditional%20sale/Default.aspx

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

you have two options to try to keep the car,to request a suspended repo order or a time order

have a read of time orders here

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/06C%20EW%20Time%20order%20-%20hire%20purchase%20or%20conditional%20sale/Default.aspx

Thank you theoldrouge,

If I apply for one of them, should I do it now or ask for one in my defence form? Also, does this in effect them re-instate the agreement?

I have also emailed them asking for a copy of the default notice and a full statement including any charges they have applied

Thank you theoldrouge,

If I apply for one of them, should I do it now or ask for one in my defence form? Also, does this in effect them re-instate the agreement?

read the full link, if you wish to apply

you will need to fill in the form 9C that came with the pack

together with your witness statement

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

in answer to your question it wont reinstate the agreement, which can only be terminated once

so any opportunity to vt the car has gone

in answer to your question it wont reinstate the agreement, which can only be terminated once

so any opportunity to vt the car has gone

thank you!

Another question if you don't mind? Sorry about this!

They are saying that the default notice was the termination notice. In the sale agreement though it says this:

"On or after the occurrence of an Event of Default we shall be entitled (subject to the consumer credit act 1971), and after serving a default notice, at our option to terminate the agreement."

Should they not have sent me a separate default notice then?

This is what is says in the default notice:

"If you do not take the action required by this notice before the date shown then the further action set out below may be taken against you:

Further action: on or after the date shown for payment of arrears:

* we will terminate the agreement with immediate effect;

* we will enforce our rights to recover possession of the goods and our rights to payment under the terms of the agreement; and

* we may register a default with the credit reference agencies to which we subscribe."

My emphasis on the 'may'. To me this says this is a possible course of action, not a definitive one. Shouldn't they have told me they were going to terminate?

Also this:

"If you fail to take the remedial action by the date shown above you will be liable to pay us the balance outstanding under the agreement of £17,9913.36 less a rebate of £5,101.84 (which will reduce if you do not pay by the date shown above), to give a net amount payable by you of £12,889.52 (which will increase if the rebate reduces.) We will deduct from this amount payable any net proceeds we receive from the sale of the repossessed goods."

But then in the court papers there is no mention of this rebate?????

they must have served a compliant default notice under s87(1) cca 1974

giving you 14 clear days to remedy

before they were able to terminate the agreement

rebate is only payable if you were to settle in full

this is why it is so important to obtain a suspended repo order or a time order

otherwise you become liable for the full agreement less what the car sells for at auction

forget the "may" they have terminated

But that's not what it says, it says "IF you fail to take the remedial action..."?? - Ignore me,

I think I see what you mean now

They've also included their 'charges' in the default notice

Edited by thescribe

but you havent remedied ie paid in full by the date on the dn??

• Haha 1

No I haven't

but it's not saying "if you take remedial action as above" then that's what happens.

They say if you FAIL to take the remedial action, this is what you will owe.

Do you see what I mean?

Shall I upload a copy?

I'm not reading it wrong am I?

Concentrate on the N9C and your ws

You haven't remedied and they terminated

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...