Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1596 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, someone can help !

Over the weekend I put in an offer to rent a property, and was given a date as to when i could move in providing referencing went through ok etc etc.

The problem now is that my boss, who is my referrer, is now on holiday and wont be able to sign anything until he is back.

I need to move out and into a new place before he is back. Perhaps naively, I actually thought that they would simply call or email him and ask to confirm any details that I put down, he is contactable this way, but wont be able to print and sign anything off before he gets back. Which leaves me in a bit of a pickle.

I can move my stuff out and and move somewhere else, but once ive moved somewhere else I wont be able to (or want to for that matter) move my belongings again.

The lettings company charged me £400 pretty much immediately, and i am wondering if i am within my right to ask for a refund. I didnt sign anything when i sent over the £400.

No checks have been made as yet, i found this all out just now as ive received the landlord hub referencing form.

thanks in advance

Most Agents charge an up front Application fee to cover office Admin for making/obtaining Credit Ref, employer and previous LL refs, which your employer can do by email or letter. He won't have to sign anything in person unless he is acting as your Guarantor.

The fee is normally non-refundable if prospective T withdraws, but not if LL later rejects the offer (mainly due to poor credit refs).

Many LA's do not accept an offer until the prospect has had opp to view the property. You knew the fee before making your offer. Sounds like you just changed your mind over the weekend and want your money back.

What is 'landlord hub referencing form'?

thanks - yes i did change my mind, but only after i got details of how the referencing actually works. as soon as i said yes i'd like to place an offer on saturday, the agent said someone would call me back to take fees. which they did immediately, no details of what the process was until i got an email this morning saying they needed a signature, and not an electronic one.

the receipt i got didnt have any info on it except a disclaimer link which went to an 'error 404' page. should they not have give me any details in writing of what i was paying £400 for ? conditions etc ?