DLA change appointee

thedryad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2775 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son is 7 and gets higher rate mobility and care DLA.

His father is the appointee so he gets all the correspondence,

we recently split up and our son lives with me.

the payments go into my bank account (which was our joint bank account but my husband took himself off the account so it's now just in my name).

Is it easy enough to change the appointee to myself?

I googled it and read that they suspend the payments and make a home visit.

Anybody know anything about this?

Edited by thedryad
Add more information.

Hi, thanks for the reply, yeh that's the article that I was referring to. Ex and I are both happy to keep it in his name until renewal in March however is this allowed? I am the payee and he is the appointee - we are both his parents with equal responsibility.

The CAB don't seem to know what I'm supposed to do! I just don't want to get into trouble for failing to report a change, or my ex get in trouble for claiming a benefit for a child he no longer lives with (even though the payments go into my bank account and are used for our son).

am thinking that if he (as the appointee) is no longer joint on the account that is being paid into re, then may need to do something?

How do you mean?

the appointee is no longer on the account, therefore the govt are not paying to the appointee. doesnt the govt have to pay to the appointee?

so, either get the govt to now pay to the appointees account, or change it so you are now the appointee?

You are phrasing it as if you're asking me a question. I have posted a question on the forum hoping for answers.

So, in answer to your question to my question (?) - I don't know.

I will try and contact DLA myself.

I asked on here as CAB were quite frankly crap with their advice.

Sorry - long day - I know how it is - I used to volunteer on this site under a different username on the debts forum, sometimes though it was like banging your head against a brick wall.

Thanks for your help though.