Panasonic 4k tv from shop direct - now faulty

Saj33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2711 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I purchased a Panasonic 4k tv from shop direct in April last year.

A few days ago the tv developed a fault (turns on for a few seconds and turns off, red light flashes several times).

I have researched the fault and it looks as though it will cost me over £300 to fix.

Unfortunately i have no additional cover on the tv and the 12 month warranty has finished,

i am quite devastated as i paid £1100 for the tv last year,

do i have any legal rights to get panasonic to repair the tv?

The above advice is correct. Who supplied you with the TV? It is their responsibility. Don't worry about Panasonic.

Because your contract was made before October 2015, you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act section 14 which requires that goods be of merchantable quality and remain that way for a reasonable period of time.

Who supplied you with the TV? In is to be taken back to them – although if it is Currys or PC World, don't expect them to be too helpful about honouring their obligations under consumer law.

I notice that you say "unfortunately" you have no additional cover. Please read what we have to say about extended warranties. And also, to plug the Consumer Survival Handbook have a look in there about your rights, about extended warranties, and about preparing a case.

Consumer Survival Handbook

Hi, thank you for the replies. I bought the tv online from Very, i am not sure how to go about complaining, is there a template letter i can use? From past dealings with very they are not helpfull.

first post says shop direct

so it a catalogue purchase gentlemen.

write [better that ringing to shop direct and start an RMA claim.

warranty or extra cover or any guarantee is in addition to your statutory rights under SOGA=CRA 2015 now.

it is the responsibility of the retailer to repair/refund or replace as they think fit

a TV should last more than 4yrs

they might and are entitled to get you to do an engineers report as its out side of 6mts since purchase

the cost of which will be refunded under your SOGA claim

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

they'll probably faff you off until you do anyway.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry i didnt understand, do you mean i can get an engineers report before making an complaint to very? I dont want them saying why did i open the tv before informing them. I just want to be prepared and have all the evidence i need before i complain.

My suggestion is to raise the request with them first for repair/replacement/refund. Only when they ask you to prove that the fault is an inherent manufacturing fault that you then get an engineers report.

I suggest this as I had a similar situation with Co-op recently for a faulty TV. I escalated the situation with them as they were trying to fob me off with the manufacturer. I was fully expecting to be asked to prove the situation as the TV was old than 6 months. However, they decided to simply cave and refund the fill price of the TV (despite it being 18 months old). So worth raising the request/complaint with them first and only getting the engineers report when they prompt for it in my opinion.

they will most probably ask you to get an engineers report before they will entertain you.

you could try ringing and ask

0843 9020723

and they

Hi All,

An update on my complaint to very. They have requested an independant report to confirm the manufacturers fault. They have offered to repair if viable or refund. The refund is based on usage fee of 20% each year i have owned the tv.

I have had the tv inspected and the backlights need replacing, the total cost of repair is £600 including labour. Not sure if very will pay to repair, is the usage fee of 20% reasonable?

Gauge it yourself

What do they sell for 2nd hand?

and they

Assuming they mean 20% of the original purchase price per year rather than 20% compounded, they are saying that you should only expect a TV to last 5 years. I'm not convinced that's reasonable

I can't remember having any TV that has not lasted more than 7 years without any faults.

I have a 10 year old Panasonic TV that it working ok, apart from a bit of screen burn which shows up on light coloured programme outputs.

But in regard to the 5 years that is being apparently used, i am not sure how you would argue. I am not sure there is any specific wording in law or case precedents which state durability years for TV's. I think the law uses deliberately vague language like 'reasonable', so it is open to argument.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to Panasonic 4k tv from shop direct - now faulty