Jan123

Savings and benefits

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1116 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am stuck again this time I have a man who have £12000 over the limit in savings and he wants to know how he can spend it in order to keep his HA. Only suggestions I have is a funeral plan very morbid I know. He is 70 years old.

Do you mean his housing benefit?

What is his other income?

He needs to report it now -

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

He is private tenant so it is housing allowance. He refuses to tell the DWP. He gets state pension, Pension credit (saving and guarantee) I know he can buy a funeral plan but he is most insistent he will spend the rest no matter how many times I tell him DWP will count it as is it nonial spending/benefit. Why does everyone I support want to do things their way and when they go wrong I have to pick up the pieces. You are so so great in helping me out of these situations. THANKS

If he's in receipt of Pension Credit he must tell the DWP about his savings (the threshold for SPC is £10,000). I'm concerned when you say that he "refuses to tell the DWP" because that, fundamentally, is fraud. Now I'm not saying that they'll rush straight round to his house and clap him in chains or anything - I really don't know what they would do - but the fact that he's hiding this money from them is important. What he could spend it on is a secondary consideration.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

He needs to know that he's committing a criminal offence by failing to declare the money. If it comes to light he will find himself. Ring interviewed under caution and possibly going to court.

The only way you can help him is stress the above to him. If he won't listen then on his head be it.

And unless he's keeping the cash under the bed, they will find out then at best he'll have a large sum to repay.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

He is private tenant so it is housing allowance. He refuses to tell the DWP. He gets state pension, Pension credit (saving and guarantee) I know he can buy a funeral plan but he is most insistent he will spend the rest no matter how many times I tell him DWP will count it as is it nonial spending/benefit. Why does everyone I support want to do things their way and when they go wrong I have to pick up the pieces. You are so so great in helping me out of these situations. THANKS

He's being unfair putting you in such a position. You should advise him of the dangers of what he is doing.

Wow that's an idea!!! A Ferrari! Actually I have explained his options explained the consequence. He is going to think about it all and let me know his decision. Again thank you for your great help. Wish benefits were easier.

Wow that's an idea!!! A Ferrari! Actually I have explained his options explained the consequence. He is going to think about it all and let me know his decision. Again thank you for your great help. Wish benefits were easier.

Glad you have.... clearly you really care about your clients x

Hi Shoelover

I guess I just want the best for them however some I want to thump in the nicest possible way of course. You are great!

If he spends it rashly on say a ferrari for example but feasibly be any non essential expense then he would be seen as depriving himself of capital and the amount soent would be used as though he still had it.

He is on a slippery slope and needs to declare his savings before he receives a demand for the overpayment of benefits hes currently getting.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Hi Shoelover

I guess I just want the best for them however some I want to thump in the nicest possible way of course. You are great!

Lol. I think it's ok to sometimes want to say to them to wake up & smell the coffee- you wouldn't be normal if you didn't. A friend of mine is defence solicitor- she says sometimes she could just shake them as they make the same mistake over and over again. But she still does her absolute best for them- and nothing makes her happier when one of them turns their life around.