• Tweets

• The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
    • Monika the first four pages of the Private parking section have at least 12 of our members who have also been caught out on this scam site. That's around one quarter of all our current complaints. Usually we might expect two current complaints for the same park within 4 pages.  So you are in good company and have done well in appealing to McDonalds in an effort to resolve the matter without having  paid such a bunch of rogues. Most people blindly pay up. Met . Starbucks and McDonalds  are well aware of the situation and seem unwilling to make it easier for motorists to avoid getting caught. For instance, instead of photographing you, if they were honest and wanted you  to continue using their services again, they would have said "Excuse me but if you are going to go to Mc donalds from here, it will cost you £100." But no they kett quiet and are now pursuing you for probably a lot more than £100 now. They also know thst  they cannot charge anything over the amount stated on the car park signs. Their claims for £160 or £170 are unlawful yet so many pay that to avoid going to Court. When the truth is that Met are unlikely to take them to Court since they know they will lose. The PCNs are issued on airport land which is covered by Byelaws so only the driver can be pursued, not the keeper. But they keep writing to you as they do not know who was driving unless you gave it away when you appealed. Even if they know you were driving they should still lose in Court for several reasons. The reason we ask you to fill out our questionnaire is to help you if MET do decide to take you to Court in the end. Each member who visited the park may well have different experiences while there which can help when filling out a Witness statement [we will help you with that if it comes to it.] if you have thrown away the original PCN  and other paperwork you obviously haven't got a jerbil or a guinea pig as their paper makes great litter boxes for them.🙂 You can send an SAR to them to get all the information Met have on you to date. Though if you have been to several sites already, you may have done that by now. In the meantime, you will be being bombarded by illiterate debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors all threatening you with ever increasing amounts as well as being hung drawn and quartered. Their letters can all be safely ignored. On the odd chance that you may get a Letter of Claim from them just come back to us and we will get you to send a snotty letter back to them so that they know you are not happy, don't care a fig for their threats and will see them off in Court if they finally have the guts to carry on. If you do have the original PCN could you please post it up, carefully removing your name. address and car registration number but including dates and times. If not just click on the SAR to take you to the form to send to Met.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lurker1 v Abbey

lurker1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone and thanks to all for this website and the great advice.

This is my first post, I have been lurking for a while and in the process of my first claim, I have gone through the data protection request delays, eventually got the statements and a part refund for £235, LBA sent and then moneyclaim has started against Abbey for around £2500, they didnt respond within 14 days so got Judgement by default after Judgement received a letter saying they had changed solicitors to inhouse legal team but nothing else so a week after Judgement I clicked on the Warrant button on Moneyclaim and got the warrant a few days later.

The day I received the warrant confirmation I received a copy of Abbeys defence, two weeks later they sent through a copy of there application to have the Judgement set aside - they say there former solicitors (DLA) had faxed and sent a letter to the court acknowledging and stating they would defend the action, they say I should not have applied for the default and that they are applying for tme to pay the set aside costs.

I was half expecting them to apply for the set aside - still makes you angry that they use these tactics as I am sure they probably didnt send any acknowlegment as they seem to do this many times (reading other posts).

Reading some other posts I gave Ingra Kirkham a telephone call and gave Abbey the option of settling saying I would be prepared to agree to the set aside in return for a full set aside, she said the matter had esculated to the point that they had a court sheriff down stairs trying to take there furniture (I guess this is what prompted the set aside application), she said she would call back - which she didnt so I called her again on Monday and she said she had spoken to a senior official who said if I was willing to lower my demand of full payment she was allowed to continue to negotitate otherwise they would continue with the set aside and defend the case.

I am obviously very prepared to see this go all they way through the set aside and see them in court for the Judgement hearing as well.

Tomorrow is the set aside hearing and I want to make things as difficult as possible for Abbey, I guess I should agree to the set aside to stop any further delays especially as it sounds like they have every chance of having the Judgement set aside, but can I say anything else to get the Judge to make them either settle or produce evidance/break down of the penalty charges in as short a time scale as possible or have the Judgement hearing set soon.

Another point I thought about bringing up in the set aside hearing is the fact Abbey say the first they knew the court hadnt received the acknowledgement from Abbey was when they had the court sheriff turn up, yet they would have had the Judgement sent through to them three weeks before this and then the actual warrent two weeks before.

Any adive on what to do and say in court tomorrow would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. One other stupid question how do I address the Judge, should it be "Your Honour"??

Many thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks Karnevil for the info, I had an interesting experiance in court as I have never been before (probably a good thing).

Abbeys solicitor seemed a bit of a novice he had forgot to take a copy of Abbeys defence which the Judge absolutely slaughtered him for and she also went fairly mad over Abbeys claim for me to pay there costs.

The Judge also mentioned she had seen many of these cases yet had only known a few that hadnt been settled before the hearing and those few cases that hadnt been settled only the claiments turned up which she thought very strange.

Hi Karnevil

Thanks it really wasnt as scary as I thought it would be.

The Judge said that Abbey had to send the court the defense by Monday the 27th November and the QA 14 days after that.

Very annoying that Abbey can continually use these actions to delay things, I am now wondering if I can hit back at them by changing the interest from the courts standard 8% to the contracted unauthorised overdraft rate of about 29% compounded - any ideas do I just fill out form N244 to amend the amount, or is it to late to change things??

Any info would be very greatfully received.

Thanks karnevil for the further advice, think I will leave things as they are on the interest front for the time being, if Abbey delay things more and it drags out into the new year I think then I will push the contractural interest.

I go the AQ form today, needs to be in by the 7th December, I will get it completed using the excellent info on this site tonight and drop it back at the court with the £100 fee tomorrow - hopefully abbey will then make me the 50% offer and follow up with the full 100% - if not I think I am looking at the new year and up the anti with regards the contracted interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Allocation Questionaire has to be back at the court by 7thDec, I have sent mine and sent a copy to Abbey, Abbey now have until Thursday to get their Allocation Questionnaire back to the court, what would the situation be if they dont send it back in time, can tey delay things yet more with sending the AQ back late??

Anyone see anything wrong in the following email:

Re:- Court Case:***************

Dear Miss Kirkman

I would again like to give Abbey the opportunity to discuss settlement before the case reaches a court hearing, you are also reminded that your Allocation Questionnaire is to be returned to the court by Thursday 7th December 2006, you should have received copies of my Allocation Questionnaire and letter to the court via royal mail recorded delivery and a further copy of my Allocation Questionnaire was sent via email directly to you on the 30th November and again on the 1st December.

I would very much like to avoid adding to the congestion in the court system caused by all the penalty charge cases being brought against the UK banks by settling this matter before a court hearing.

If you would like to discuss settlement please feel free to contact me anytime on the following:

Telephone: ******************

Email: *************************

Post: ***************************************************************************.

Yours Truly

CC. Copy printed and sent to County Court.

My thinking is if I give them loads of opportunities to settle - and then they drag it out until much nearer the court case, I may make myself unavailable near the case and send back my bank card with a letter closing my account - so the case has to go to court and then I can either fight it out in court with them or get another Judgement by default, surely if they dont turn up a second time they wont be able to easily get the second Judgement set aside??

it sounds good to me but i am no expert! Sounds like you have a good knowledge of what you are doing so keep up the good work and good luck!

I've beat HSBC, GE Money and Abbey

Court pending V Barclays and Time Retail

Inga has emailed me saying she is happy to discuss settlement with me, and inviting me to make an offer I would be prepared to accept, and if it was the case that I required 100% then she would not be able to progress settlement discussions with me.

I sent one back saying I would accept 99.5% plus interest and court costs as a goodwill gesture - after I thought about it could this be looked upon by a judge as taking the pi55??

"I sent one back saying I would accept 99.5% plus interest and court costs as a goodwill gesture - after I thought about it could this be looked upon by a judge as taking the pi55??"

FOMCL:D:D:D

that's soooooo brilliant!

There's no reason why you have to accept anything less than 100%. You gave them ample opportunity to negotiate - preliminary request, LBA, even the claim filing and all the delays getting to court.

They could, of course, tell you what their actual costs are and you could offer to knock those off the total claim....;)

Then you could post the information on this site and we'd all have a good laugh.

And thorough congratulations and well done for sticking to your guns. Inspirational!

Westy

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

I emailed her again and said:

If the offer wasnt acceptable to you, especially as the amount is incurring interest every day then please feel free to make me an offer at anytime, I feel I have gone out of my way to avoid further court action with you.

Her reply:

With respect , an offer of 99.5% is hardly an effort to avoid court action. I am prepared to devote time to meaningful settlement discussions with you, but having received your offer of 99.5% I am concerned that this is a wasted effort. If you are prepared to enter into meaningful discussions, please let me know, otherwise I will deal with your claim in the normal course of the prioritisation of all claims being dealt with at Abbey.

Kind regards,

Inga Kirkman

Is she admitting in this reply that they have a procedure to settle all cases in order of priority as they get to a court hearing?

You can even reply saying 'with respect, failure to acknowledge

court service or to act on default judgement, to the point of a sheriffs warrant being executed, does not indicate any seriousness or willingness to negotiate. You have had adequate opportunity to discuss this matter before it went to court. You chose not to do so. In the absence of any realistic offer on your part, I shall proceed with my claim. I expect to gain judgement and to receive the full value of my claim then, which will have accumulated with contractual and statutory interest."

Or you can simply say 'get stuffed. see you in court'.

Whaddya think?

Westy

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Both replies are tempting, might steal some of your points in my reply if you dont mind.

I am thinking of saying something along the lines of its my money you will settle 100% at some point so knocking off 0.5% plus the interest and any further court costs is a serious offer - and then go onto say I can provide many court case numbers of Abbey settling and believe you have settled every case, please feel free to correct me by providing one case where you have successfully defended against a claim against you for the recovery of your penalty charges, clearly if you cant you are just wasting the courts time.

hey lurker, be careful how you word your reply...it's very easy to get caught up in clever sarcastic responses, but they could undermine you if they came before a judge.

my advice would be to the point, so basically point out in a polite but precise message that you feel given the fact they are breaking the law by enforcing penalties on their customers you have an infallible case behind you. It was your intention to end the matter swiftly by settling early, however it appears both parties are unable to reach agreement on this matter at present and therefore you see no other choice but to continue your claim in court.

my court hearing was meant to be tomorrow and they waited until a week before to settle so be patient and it will get there.

missphant :razz::D

claim commenced 05.06.06

court hearing on 08.12.06

abbey settled in full before the hearing...yippee :cool:

Hi, Lurker

I really wouldn't get involved with justifying anything or suggesting that they won't win. We know they won't, and that they'll settle before court date, but no need to go into detail or even bother referring to it. Remember, this is a serious case - despite the hilarity you've given us, for which much thanks - so you have to be seen to be sensible. they haven't been. They've had judgement, a warrant, a visit from the bailiffs all before they took you in the least bit seriously.

I presume the clock is now running - what's next on the timetable? It shouldn't be long before you get full settlement.

And you are more than welcome to use my suggestions in their entirety, whichever you prefer!

Thansk for brightening my day and best wishes

Westy

Westy