housing benefit problem and trap

debt4get
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2740 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter whose oldest child is 18 and has now left school decided to take a year out and work and get a job...he earns 13000 per annum..as she recently had to finish work 3 months ago because of stress she applied for housing benefit...

She sent them all the information and today has been told out of a housing allowance for the area of 91.80p week she has been awarded 16 pound a week towards the rent for herself and her 11 year old child also living there along with the 18 yr old...i

Is it correct that the local authority can make her 18 year old pay the majority of the rent on the property? as this seems to be the case....he is not the tenant she is yet it seems from their figures that because he is earning he is expected to make up the huge shortfall can anyone confirm these figures are correct?

thanks

Edited by Andyorch
Paras

there is an assumption that the 18 yo contributes towards the household. The council has some leeway as you how it assesses household income and expenditure, detail about the youngsters outgoings are needed if the council are to change their minds or they will assume that all net income is theirs to spend as they wish.

there is an assumption that the 18 yo contributes towards the household. The council has some leeway as you how it assesses household income and expenditure, detail about the youngsters outgoings are needed if the council are to change their minds or they will assume that all net income is theirs to spend as they wish.

Not strictly true. His outgoings are not considered, just his income. The deductions bands are set each year by the government

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/500180/housing_benefit/4285/adults_non-dependants_who_live_with_you_may_affect_your_housing_benefit_and_council_tax_support/2

As 13k is about £250 a week that deduction would be used . However the final award will take into accoUnt your daughters inc r

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

Guest Miss Anxious

As far as I am aware, if you are in receipt of PIP, daily living allowance, his income is disregarded.

Please check this first, and if anyone knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me.