• Tweets

• Well as you're implying, UB, you're going to sign a better trade deal with a large economic bloc than with a small one, aren't you?   I don't think there's any chance of any deal based on a 'special relationship' while Biden's in the White House, but as I said I think Trump would have stitched us up in the end anyway.
    • Atleast 7 years, but they have already done some of the work. I think Liam Fox started this a few years ago.   My guess is that it will take 3 to 4 years before a proper trade deal is signed. There might be a mini trade deal before then limited to a few sectors.   The issue for the Brexit supporters might be when the EU and US sign a trade deal, before there is a UK/US deal. And when this finally happens UK only obtains same deal as EU. There is no reason for US to agree better terms with the UK and they would not do so  because US sees UK as part of Europe.
    • English school leaders despair over new rules on Covid tests and  masks   https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/feb/25/english-school-leaders-despair-at-soft-line-on-covid-tests-and-masks
    • They've estimated 10 years to agree a trade deal haven't they, UB? I think the Tories believed Trump when he said the UK would be at the front of the queue and have a quick trade deal and thought it would look good as an announcement after Brexit happened. It didn't dawn on them until quite late on that Donald might lose the election.   Why they ever thought US negotiators would do any favours is beyond me and now you see how other countries have asserted themselves over trade deals, the Tories global ambitions are starting to look naive.
    • It takes a long time to agree trade deals because there are so many aspects to consider.    UK companies trade with US consumers including US Government every day of the year, with the previous trade arrangements still in place.   There is no hurry to agree a new trade deal. It takes thousands of civil servants in both Governments to go into every aspect and they just don't have the people available to do this work.    
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Any One Caught One Of Those Change Over Season Colds.How are you all today.

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1592 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Tawnyowl here with a thought that entered my mind about one minute ago.

Best write it down because another minute or two and it will be forgotten.

Age is my excuse.Strange how many times that excuse is used nowadays.

When this post is finished will check up how old i am.

Went to the docs last week for healthy heart check up,you go once a year to check you are still here after having heart attacks.

Check blood pressure,things like that.

Now definitely not keen on hanging around the docs as you just never know what you might catch.

Nurse told me to shut up while checking my pressure as she could not get a reading.

Last time she saw pressure like that was in a cooker.

I do go on a bit at times.

After ten minutes she said perfect,as expected.

Goodbye nurse see you next year was my reply.Headed for the door sharpish.

Just hang on a moment have you had a flu jab.Nurse said .

Well jabs that word,i nearly passed out thinking of the needle remembering those jabs they give you in the hospital in your stomach to thin the blood.Well i think that is what they are for.I tend not to ask many questions in hospital as if they take a liking to you they may fancy experimenting.

Well no why.

You had better have one then.

Which arm i said,choose your spot.

Well can you believe it,she paraded in front of me with this needle about two inches long giving me a smile that would freeze the desert oasis.

And came at my arm like a Olympic javellin thrower complete with run up.At a speed worthy of a sprinter.

In it went,my feathers nearly fell off and i was ready to take flight.

But managed to stay put.

After recovering for a split second i said my goodbyes and headed for the door sharpish.Hold on a minute the nurse said,not so fast.

Have you had a pneumonia jab.

What are we having a laugh i have never heard such a thing.

Settling down a touch after reassuring me there was such a thing i said as usual,which arm would you like.

My she said you are a bright one,there is only one arm left to have go at.

And once again out came the needle.

Took a fine run up and in it went,180 i replied,(Darts term) and legged it shortly afterwards,because if another jab had been required where would it have gone.Fell for that before in hospital,putting my arm out and the nurse shook her head and pointed to my trousers.

What a job,three layers of thermal insulation,well it was winter,braces the lot,then i got harpooned,tetanus that time.

What have i come in for,ah i know i caught a cold,just got rid,now put my back out but will not stop me running my empire.

The smallest business in the UK,it must be.But i am pleased how things are going.

From 1-10 probably 2.

Now how are you all this cool, windy huge coastal tides day.Have you a cold that arrived from who knows where.

Strange is it not that i am sure i read that you can catch a virus from touching a screen,a door things like that.

Now what is the first thing you do when going to the docs.

Hit the computer to say you have arrived,age,date of birth etc.

That is what i came to ask.How are you all.

Bye for now

Tawnyowl.