Can I Claim This Back ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6579 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I booked a cottage holiday through a company called Welcome Cottages. This included the ferry travel and a cottage in Southern Ireland for one week. After receiving all the paperwork, I needed to change the time of the return ferry and so contacted the Ferry company - Stena-line. They said that as I had booked through Welcome cottages I would need to amend the booking through them, but there was plenty of room on the ferry I needed and there would be no cost.

When I told Welcome cottages about this they said they would charge a £20 'administration fee' to do this as it was their 'policy'. I needed the ferry time changing so had to agree - although registering my protest.

Does anybody know if this is a fee that I could lawfully claim back?

Help much appreciated.

Not sure it is illegal, or right if they haven't had to issue anything other than a computer schedule then I would write to them along the following lines...

I amended my travel arrangements for holiday in XYZ at XYZ, and was charged £XYZ as an administration charge 'to cover extra paperwork'.

I believe this to be a penalty which in English (and Scottish) law for breach of contract is not legal if the penalty exceeds the actual cost of the breach. If you say that this is not then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs as a result of my breach in order to reassure me that your penalty really does reflect your costs?

Please reimburse my £20 forthwith.

Let me know what you think

LOULA

However, it may be in their contract with you that they charge for this - if it's not a breach of contract then no penalty has been incurred.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

They are in breach of their own T&C's.

Where it clearly states £25 admin charge for all changes once the holiday has been confirmed.

If the change occured prior to 58 days before the holiday start date, then it should be free as Steve could have cancelled got a full refund and then re-booked with the amended travel dates for no charge at all.

LOULA

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 08 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6579 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks