Emergency Service - Interview result dispute

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello team CAG,

This is a little long, but please bear with me.

I applied to one of the Emergency Services in London, and after passing an assessment was invited to an interview on 18th August.

On 30th August I made contact with one of the two panel members who interviewed me as I had received no feedback.

I had a lengthy conversation with this person who raised concern about unaccounted gaps in my employment but also stated that I sat a good interview and did not fail it.

I was informed if I were to send a complete employment history covering the gaps along with key skills gained/used, there would be potential of a second interview but this would have to be with somebody else.

On 4th September I emailed the person above (also Cc’d two other HR staff members) my complete employment history accounting for the gaps.

I called my interviewer on 9th September as I had received no communications.

I was informed that my information had been passed on and I should contact HR.

On 12th September I received an email from one of the two HR staff members I had Cc'd informing me that I have been unsuccessful? No reason/feedback provided.

I called this HR staff member the following day seeking an explanation and feedback.

To my surprise I was informed that my interviewer had mentioned to this HR staff that she (my interviewer) had informed me that I had failed.

My interviewer never mentioned this to me during any of our conversations.

I emailed my interviewer on 13th September seeking clarification and feedback, which I am yet to receive.

I sent a letter to the Head of Recruitment for role applied for on 16th September, expressing my dissatisfaction and seeking clarification/investigation. I also attached comms I made by email.

Received an email acknowledging my letter and will respond no later than 14 days from receipt. GUESS WHAT?...NOTHING!!!

Emailed this person on 9th October seeking an update, only to be informed my interviewer has been away, investigation is ongoing and will get back to me by the end of this week (14/10).

If I do not hear from the Head of Recruitment OR if I do and the result is not in my favour, can I pursue this further?

Your input would be greatly appreciated on this matter.

pursue how? they're under no obligation to give you a job. You may have "passed" the interview but other people may still have done better and therefore be employed ahead of you.

relentless pursuit of the matter will guarantee you don't get another chance in the future.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

But is it not natural for a person to want to know on what grounds they have been unsuccessful?

One of the Interviewers on my Interview Panel stated to me I had sat a good interview, then later said the opposite to another HR Member? Contradiction?

I have a feeling it will be their word against mine.

I just want my interview notes to be looked at by a neutral in the Service / independently.

Bring on Friday (tomorrow), let's see if I get my response.

Maybe you passed the interview, as in you said all the right things, but you fails to make the next stage of interviews.

Judging by the amount of chasing and hassling you are doing, I find it likely they feel they dodged a bullet with you.

You are only at interview stage and you are raising grievances and complaints. Jesus, what has this world come to when someone can raise an investigation because they did not pass an interview.

"I just want my interview notes to be looked at by a neutral in the Service / independently."

That's nice, but they have filled the vacancy already, so they have no reason to do this, and it costs them money. They now have additional informtion about you which is that

- you've asked five times for feedback and updates

- they are under no obligation to give you this

- once is considered ok/ polite; at this stage you are appeaing pushy, rude and entitled

let it go. You have no right to anything here. What you ARE doing is ensuring you are talked about in a bad way. I guarantee you are not getting this job because your behaviour fails to recogise who is actually in charge.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It would be nice to get feedback after an interview. But it is not common. Most employers don't give you much feedback.

There are many possible reasons why you might not have been successful. Perhaps the interview didn't go as well as you thought. Perhaps someone back in the office didn't like your CV. Perhaps there was just another candidate they preferred.

I wouldn't worry about it. You just have to move on. It is very common to have to interview at many places before you get the job.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

you didnt get the job, end of story. You then get told that your file is passed on and that you had answered various questions they had about you. This means that if they advertise for another similar post you will stand a decent chance of being interviewed again. You then go about things in a manner that makes you look like you have "issues" and have probably now had you files moved into the "not with a barge pole" pile.

You come accross as inexperienced and you exacerbated this impression by insisting on feedback which is not legal requierement of employers. Recruitment is not just about your ability to do a job, but also about your ability to work within a team or get on with people. If I were you I wouldn't ever pursue feedback as you attemped because it wasted both yours and theirs time without any result. To be fair, I wouldn't employee you eventhough you may be skilled because problem solving is one the most valued abilieties in any work.

I just want my interview notes to be looked at by a neutral in the Service / independently.

Bring on Friday (tomorrow), let's see if I get my response.

I think this encapsulates your problem; a misplaced sense of entitlement.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

Are you saying you feel you may have suffered some sort of discrimination in the process? This is a legitimate concern,I believe.....?

There was no discrimination. Please dont mislead the OP on an old thread

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

With all due respect, what's misleading about my question? I never actually saw any bit about anyone asking this question. Why are people being talked down to? Discrimination does occur in recruitment processes and maybe this is what the OP was trying to get at, albeit in a way that is not clear. Furthermore, this post is just a month old; how old should a post be before it's a no-go area?

There is no discrimination. Period.

He went for an interview and he didn't get the job. Someone else did. End of story.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D