Landlord Issues - Scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2751 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi We took a year's tenancy agreement with a private landlord in July this year. Initially the landlord seemed a very nice man, things were going well until about 2 weeks ago the power to the flat completely failed at about 8pm at night.

I called the power supplier who stated it wasn't their issue as the power to the flat was fine. Upon calling the landlord, despite having a young son, he flatly refused to have an emergency electrician come out to the flat and left us with no heating or power overnight (all-electric flat). The next morning his appointed electrician claimed to have attempted access to the flat (it's through a secure door entry downstairs) but he did not attempt to use this at all - all the electrician did was to call my mobile three times (phone completely flat due to no power!) and this over an hour later than he was supposed to have arrived (0845 appointment time, called at 0947).

I called the landlord who blamed me saying I should have ensured he had entry, needless to say I wasn't best chuffed with him at that. He eventually got another electrician to appear at almost 5pm, he looked at the issue and determined that a completely new panel was required but that he couldn't obtain one for almost 24 hours. For a second night we were left without any power whatsoever, again had to go out to eat, and then come home to a freezing flat with no lighting or heat.

It was around 5pm on the Wednesday the power was eventually restored. By this time we had lost all the contents of our fridge/freezer, and had to pay for eating elsewhere. His reply to my concern was a very harsh three-worded text message "claim your insurance". The insurance company would only cover the freezer contents, nothing in the fridge or our other expenses and by the time the excess is deducted it's almost pointless to claim. Even if it were just my wife and I in the flat it's unreasonable to expect anyone to sit without power of any sort for almost 2 days, but given we also have our daughter and a very young son at home it beggars belief in my opinion.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me on this. Many thanks.

Edited by Andyorch
Paras

Hi

As of 1st December 2015, under sections 13(4A) and 19B(4) of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006, private landlords in Scotland will be required by law to ensure that their properties are electrically safe.

This is a link to the sections mentioned above: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2006/1/section/13

Also have a good read of this link on Electrical safety laws for private rental properties in Scotland : http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/scottish-landlords/

Also look at this link Private Rented Housing Panel: https://www.prhpscotland.gov.uk/repairs-faq

So were provided with a copy of the most recent electrical safety inspection report (Read the above link)

You could also have a chat with the Private Landlords section of your local council

1. To see if you landlord is required to be registered and if so are they.

2. See What they advise

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I do not profess to understand the differences in Scotland's LL&T Legislation but, as a Sassenach LL I would suggest an electrical safety inspection may have noted age of distribution board and rec changing asap but could not detect imminent failure. Whilst loss of elec in an all elec house is inconvenient, ii is hardly an emergency, even with an otherwise healthy child.

Even a well-stocked small fridge-freezer should be able to maintain frozen food integrity if door is kept closed.

I assume you don't have personal contents Ins including frozen food?

If you did, your Ins provider would have assessed your claim and perhaps recouped their loss from LL.

You had opportunity to engage your own out-of-hours electrician, but from what you have said, resolution of problem may have not been quicker.

I would suggest only an immediate life-threatening event constitutes an appropriate Emergency callout.

Consider your response if you had been owner-occupier of thr property.