style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just now, tobyjugg2 said:

So what do you think about Rees Mogg moving his business to the RoI

.. hardly showing confidence in his own Brexiteering is he?

or in his vision Brexit Britain

... perhaps because they are planning to make a killing on asset stripping the collapsing UK companies caused by their antics

what do you reckon?

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Don't you think its strange that 'Investment' companies who are reportedly  'betting' on Brexit collapsing UK companies are funding Johnson and Brexit?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

9 hours ago, Maharg1 said:

"Government have entered into private agreements with the European Community that they will, on completion of remain or whatever it is to be, transfer to the European Union in Brussels the entire control of our entire fighting forces, including all their equipment"

You're the one making the claim that it is garbage, I quoted what was said in the House of Lords.

Err not quite. Here's the actual (unedited) quote by Lord James of Blackheath as recorded in Hansard:

Is it really true that the Government have entered into private agreements with the European Community that they will, on completion of remain or whatever it is to be, transfer to the European Union in Brussels the entire control of our entire fighting forces, including all their equipment? [Laughter.]

https://hansard.parliament.uk/lords/2019-09-06/debates/0C259B8B-7232-4228-BB00-E258510FD926/EuropeanUnion(Withdrawal)(No6)Bill

So not only did you edit the quote front & back to make it appear as a some kind of statement of fact, rather than a question, his peers laughed at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Maharg1

So @Maharg1 were you 'mistaken,  and/or incompetent,  and/or simply trying to deliberately deceive us?

Perhaps also consider that 'mistaken' should also encompass grossly incompetent given such a wildly unbelievable claim, even if what was (not) 'quoted had been accurate and honest.

Sounds rather like the question that needs to be asked of everything Johnson and Vote Leave as a hole (sic) utter .

@Maharg1- In mitigation, perhaps if you just copied that 'doctored' text from some other 'mistaken and/or incompetent and/or simply lying source,

we can accept that you are merely incompetent as an excuse, and not actively seeking to promote lies or deceive us.

Particularly as you do seem to show you have no actual knowledge or understanding of the area you posted on AND are unwilling to properly support your claims..

Was that the case? or were you deliberately presenting false statements?

That second final  point in italics does seem to lead us to doubting your sincerity.

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Like 1

The Tory Legacy

Claimed Johnson possibilities re the Benn bill is that he will veto the extension he requests (or perhaps simply not vote FOR it)

I don't know the ins and outs of this.

Because despite all the Leave claims that we have no say,

... in LAW each and every nation in the EU has veto's on many things including any new members (eg Turkey) and for the UK's article 50 notification

.. including the UK.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

I'm not sure we have a vote on the extension. I found this:

An extension can only happen if the UK formally requests it and it is unanimously agreed by the remaining member states. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/02/brussels-will-reluctantly-agree-brexit-extension-rebel-mps-succeed/

• Thanks 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

9 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

if the UK formally requests it and it is unanimously agreed by the remaining member states. 

TY HB. Good find.

I wouldn't put it past johnson to look for a veto though..

A veto vote might be a different issue?

The Tory Legacy

2 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

He's denied asking other EU leaders to veto an extension. I can't believe the way no 10 is going about this, very unprofessional.

Doesn't need to ask others if he can veto the extension himself ... after asking for the extension

Hopefully the Benn bill caters for Johnsons government kyboshing the extension request via veto or any other means

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

16 hours ago, cjcregg said:

The ex Supreme Court Justice Jonathon Sumption (he who represented the banks in the Supreme Court bank charges case and won) was asked about that scenario and he said that if Johnson did anything contrary to genuinely seeking and obtaining an extension after the letter is sent it would have the effect of invalidating the extension request letter and he would thus be in breach of the Benn Act.

The act doesn't just require him to seek an extension, he has to accept it if the EU agrees to it.

Excellent find there by cjregg which might cater for veto

.. but I'm not certain.

• Thanks 1

The Tory Legacy

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, apologies if it has, but if not I think most who post on this thread would find it especially interesting.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but this 12 minute video from Bloomberg does seem raise some genuine questions about the integrity of Nigel Farage, the Leave campaign and their chums in the city.

• Thanks 1

No way is Boris Johnson going to be able to get around the Benn Act.  

My prediction.  Johnson fails to come up with a deal at summit.  More Tories defect to Lib Dems , VONC ensues, Caretaker government set up, everyone settles on Kier Starmer / Ken Clarke deputy .  1 year A50 ext set up. 1922 commitee gives Boris his marching orders (It's the scandals not Brexit), another Tory Leadership contest ensues, followed by a GE, perhaps Javid or Gove as leader.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It is so true when 'they' say a week is a long time in politics.

We have gone from not entertaining a motion of no confidence before an extension is agreed to doing one this week . 

I really am not sure- reading the papers today there is talk that a 'secret' deal has been done with the DUP but who knows and in any event how does the maths work out. 

Sadly I can not go to the London demo on 19th as I am working but my partner and two friends are. In an ideal world we would just revoke A50 but to be fair, if a deal is on offer that should be put to a public vote with deal or remain as the binary options - anything like a STV and multiple choice would just confuse the electorate in England.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Any of the EU 27, can Veto, as I mentioned, UK HAS to ask, Benn Act cannot compel the EU to grant extension, and they have all misunderstood the Article 50 process, as illustrated by banning Bills and shenanigans., where NO Deal is default a default caused by voting down the only Agreement in town, the May WA.  Barnier cannot negotiate anything else as it would be outside his mandate, which would have to be changed and don't think the EU want to reopen negotiations, as far as they are concerned the only deal in town is the WA.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Correct but the EU will grant an extension, they will not throw Ireland under a bus.

• Thanks 1

It's all pointless anyway. He won't get it through parliament.

27 minutes ago, Jase1982 said:

It looks to me as though Boris is preparing to cede Northern Ireland to the European Union.  Again, they're just not saying what the proposals actually are and it's being fluffed up.

Is that what people voted for?  The price of European Union membership is apparently Northern Ireland.

More correctly IMO:

Part of the price of Brexit is the British union.

1 hour ago, London1971 said:

My prediction.  Johnson fails to come up with a deal at summit.  More Tories defect to Lib Dems , VONC ensues, Caretaker government set up, everyone settles on Kier Starmer / Ken Clarke deputy .  1 year A50 ext set up. 1922 commitee gives Boris his marching orders (It's the scandals not Brexit), another Tory Leadership contest ensues, followed by a GE, perhaps Javid or Gove as leader.

Just Starmer as PM I think highly unlikely there.

Perhaps Ken Clarke PM, Starmer or Thornberry deputy

although the ERG wont like any of that.

Corbyn wont like anyone but himself as PM,

and the Tories wont accept Corbyn as PM

The Tory Legacy

2 hours ago, tobyjugg2 said:

Doesn't need to ask others if he can veto the extension himself ... after asking for the extension

He can't do that. Article 50 says that the withdrawing Member State cannot participate in any discussions at the European Council concerning their withdrawal, so Johnson could not veto his own request for an extension. The UK is not allowed to be there when the vote is taken. [Article 50(4)]

• Thanks 2

Great job there from @Ethel Street

the relevant bit

Looks rather watertight - although happy to be corrected.

" 4.   For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it. "

The Tory Legacy

So Ireland and the EU don't like Boris's final offer and Lord (Peter) Hain says it breaks the Good Friday Agreement. 

Boris says the next step is no deal. 

Maybe Dominic Cummings was right when he said he saw them spending a lot of time in court over the next few weeks. 

The GMB union has been talking about Trump's new trade tariffs on goods from the EU. They're of the opinion that it won't get any better after Brexit and that we can't count on the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/03/whisky-tariffs-are-glimpse-of-post-brexit-future-says-union

No we can't count on the USA, to Trump its America First, so any Trade Deal will be detrimental to our interests.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks