style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

24 minutes ago, cjcregg said:

Theresa May was a moderate Conservative. Remind me, how did that go?

That actually does appear a good point

.. until you realise that her mantra was 'Brexit means Brexit'

There no 'moderation in that even though theres no meaning.

She presented as every bit the demagogue as those that replaced her.

... although I should have said and honest moderate who speaks the truth

The tories are no longer Tories.

All other things aside, the years of austerity were wrong, but are now being made utterly pointless by Johnson who is borrowing to buy votes

- dropping the UK further into debt it cannot afford even without the devastation Brexit will bring

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/24/tories-increase-borrowing-by-28-as-possible-election-looms

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/10/uk-economy-brexit-car-shutdowns-bmw-peugeot-gdp

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-credit-stepchange/more-british-consumers-living-on-financial-knife-edge-debt-charity-warns-idUKKBN1W30O0

Now some might callously say that the poorest consumers don't matter, but its only the consumer market that has been keeping the UK economy even looking like its still afloat.

More and more of those consumers are running to the end of their credit, let alone cash, and even the middle incomes are tightening belts quite markedly.

Only the rich are spending ... and they aren't spending in the UK.

Edited by tobyjugg2

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Theresa May might have been a moderate, she kept such a low profile that I didn't really take much interest. But my view is that she was hijacked on Day 1 by the ERG with their red lines for the negotiations, which meant any deal would be a fudge.

Not centent with that, the ERG want no deal now.

Illegitimi non carborundum

12 hours ago, Jase1982 said:

How many brexit MEP's did they win in the Euros?  29 MEP's from nothing, and voter turnout will be higher for a general election.

The arithmetic could be interesting if the Brexit party did make huge gains.  This election will come solely down to brexit, which all parties know... hence why the lib dems have come out and committed to a full revoke because they can basically say anything they like.  Labour have committed to a neutral position hoping to keep everyone happy whilst burying several extreme policies in plain sight hoping that they can do enough to win power and carry through a number of extreme policies that wouldn't win them an election under normal circumstances, and the Tories as we know will campaign on a platform of leave.

It could come down to a Tory/Brexit Party coalition if the vast majority of leavers vote for either party.  Something which suits Johnson and the Tories as it would be easier to come up with a confidence and supply deal with the Brexit party.  That's probably why Jobnson doesn't look too fazed, and I'll happily admit I was wrong about there not being the possibility of a deal between  farage and johnson.  I now think that is what he wants, and the opposition parties have done well to avoid an election just yet.

I hear you but Euro Elections and general elections are 2 different animals.  Always have been and always will be.

If the BXP achieved 30 MP's the Tories would have been decimated, with a massive Lab / Lib Majority.

I recommend playing with the Swingometer on Electoral Calculus.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/userpoll.html

This has been a real education for me

• Thanks 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

wonder ig Parliament will be prorogued again

.. even for the supposedly legitimate reason of queens speech and Tory conference

.... being as they've already had weeks to sort those things that the original illegal prorogation was supposed to be for

Wouldnt put it past Johnson to delay the Tory conference and agreeing any queens speech so he could 'legitimately' request even more prorogation after the second prorogation

Nothing really requires an actual break other that a nominal day for a new session anyway.

Tory party conference certainly doesn't.

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Plus, it cannot be forgotten, that although the lunatic hard Brexiteers are impressed with this, many moderate Tories in around 20 Lib / Dem  Con marginals might not be.  In some of these it will only take a few hundred to flip the seat Lib Dem.

He's got to say that crap to keep his job.

16 hours ago, Jase1982 said:

How many brexit MEP's did they win in the Euros?  29 MEP's from nothing, and voter turnout will be higher for a general election.

The arithmetic could be interesting if the Brexit party did make huge gains.  This election will come solely down to brexit, which all parties know... hence why the lib dems have come out and committed to a full revoke because they can basically say anything they like.  Labour have committed to a neutral position hoping to keep everyone happy whilst burying several extreme policies in plain sight hoping that they can do enough to win power and carry through a number of extreme policies that wouldn't win them an election under normal circumstances, and the Tories as we know will campaign on a platform of leave.

I'm not sure you can compare seats gained in the European Parliament with seats in the UK's Parliament, based on voter percentages.

EU : Proportional representation, so 29 MEPS represent a proportion of the votes.

They could get the same proportion of votes in a General Election, and not win a single seat 'first past the post'.

1 hour ago, BazzaS said:

I'm not sure you can compare seats gained in the European Parliament with seats in the UK's Parliament, based on voter percentages.

EU : Proportional representation, so 29 MEPS represent a proportion of the votes.

They could get the same proportion of votes in a General Election, and not win a single seat 'first past the post'.

which is why I believe we should have proportional voting ,because at the moment you have a lot of voters who wont vote because they support a different party to the majority in the ward . Think back to when UKIP won a lot of votes but not one seat . To me that is totally wrong

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BazzaS said:

You do make a good point.  My general point was basically to suggest that it might not matter too much who wins certain seats as long as the brexit party can stop labour from winning in certain areas.  The Tories are banking on the brexit party latching on to their coat tails.

Although I think polls and historical voting patterns will go out the window in this election. 

and of course the way for the Brexit Party to wins seats for the Tories NOT to run against them

Just as it is in the Tories interests to not have Brexit party candidates run against them

So Farage and Johnson can trust each other to do whats in their own interests.

Of course that would put even further pressure on Tory moderates and of course you can't trust Johnson (FoL. KToT.  ARA. DoML.)  with anything.

Depends whether Farage thinks he can beat the Tories ....

Note: Almost unbelievably, It can get worse

Of course the libdems and Labour could do the same in what might be considered winnable seats for one or the other

I agree that 'normal' voting may go even further out of the window.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

It was predicted BJ's next step was to undermine the Judiciary, with the backlash in the media in his favour and the status quo being tested, it's how he will seen to be justified in his action. Imagine the furore if Jeremy C had done the same. 

Change is good if change is for the good. The next generation may well feel the need for an antiquated system to be challenged where it's necessary to do so.

The Judges were a breath of fresh air😀

I was reading down Facebook and saw how many comments against the judges were on there... 

I still think mums response to my aunt stands out - aunt railing on about how the judges had no right to stand in the way of brexit

Mums response "why complain - you wanted British laws by British people" 

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I'm quite surprised that the yougov polls don't show much larger majority condemnation of Johnson although I expected outcry from the brexit arm of the country on the Supreme court ruling

... a minority outcry as shown in the yougov poll    :-)

We'll use a daily mail link :-)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7499681/Snap-YouGov-poll-says-public-divided-Boris-Johnson-resign.html

But what I find absolutely abhorrent on all levels is Johnsons use of Joe Cox's name to promote Brexit ideaology

In that, Johnson has shown what utter monstrous **** he is.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-09-26/johnson-sparks-outrage-by-saying-getting-brexit-done-would-honour-jo-cox/

and yes, that is avoiding the filter - and entirely warranted I think

Johnson demonstrates he is unfit to be called a human being.

If i were religious, I'd believe Johnson and Trump were competing for the title of The Antichrist, with Johnson winning.

The Tory Legacy

About time both sides stopped using Jo Cox as a weapon, this constant bickering with her memory must be absolute hell for her family. They deserve to be allowed to remember her and move on as best they can without constant reminders from nasty useless Politicians of any party trying to be Virtue Signalers, and becoming the problem themselves..

• Like 3

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Shame he can't sue these useless politicians using her memory as a political football to kick around, for stress caused to himself and their children.  that would do some good for her family.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks