You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• the 5.1 is better for that solo from jeff   if you go that way again get pictures of all the signs inc the small print where they are  and the machine ones. and the view from the public road 
    • Hi dx100uk,    OK will do, I'll wait for that possible stage to come and keep this updated when I can.   I didn't buy a parking ticket.   Kal   ...       Way off topic but I love your profile pic, gonna listen now and allow Jeff Beck to send shivers down my spine in his epic WGW P3 solo ✌️    
    • Apologies, misunderstanding on my part. I was thinking of a shop called Cotswold. Please ignore me.   HB
    • 1st Draft - reviewed several statements    I was a bit unsure about adding more about the section 78, although they took a very long time the did provide the CCA - any help appreciated    In The *******County Court Claim No. ********* Between **********Claimant and *************** Defendant     I am the defendant in this case and make this Witness statement in support of my defence in this claim. The matters set out below are within my own knowledge, except where I indicate to the contrary.   1. It is my understanding that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct disputed or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed ...10p to 15p in the £1 and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income. Idem Capital securities issue claims to circumvent and claim the full amount of debt to maximise profit.    2. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchase’s debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3. It is accepted that I have in the past had financial dealings with HBOS. That being a Credit card Agreement.   4. After seeking advice this led me to check all paperwork I held with creditors, from this I could not find any Credit Agreement relating to the account the claimant is referring to.   6. I therefore sought clarification and requested copies of the agreements from the claimant by way of a section 78 request for the alleged amount.    7. A Letter before claim pursuant to Pre Action Protocol was issued by the claimant 06/09/2019. I made a request for the following documents:   ·         A copy of the Default Notice ·         A copy of the Notice of assignment ·         A complete set of statements detailing exactly how the debt has accrued detailing ·         All transactions ·        Any additional charges applied since the account was terminated ·         A statement  of all payments received.   The claimant to date has failed to comply completely with my request and has not provided me with the required Default Notice.      8 .On the 13/11/19 the claimant issued a claim form through the county court business centre. On receipt of the claim form I made a CPR 31.14 request.    9. A CPR 31.14 request was sent 25/11/2019 via Royal Mail signed for and shows as received 27/11/19. A Request for the following documents was made:   ·            Default Notice ·            Full statement of account     The claimant to date has failed to comply and disclose the default notice.   Conclusion   To date no Default Notice has been produced.    The claimant has still yet to comply with my CPR 31.14 request with regard to clarity of any valid default notice issued, as yet I have never received an original or seen a copy of a valid default notice from the claimant.   Arbitration confirmed that the claimant could not produce the Default notice document    Therefore for the above reasons the claim bought by the claimant is without merit and an abuse of the court process. It would be far more gracious and forthright for the claimant to admit that they do not have possession of the correct valid paperwork and this is an attempt to convince the court that the claimant can disclose the legal valid documents on which its claim relies on.   Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a Default Notice they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 87 (1) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974.    I **********, the defendant, believe that the facts stated in the witness statement are true.     Signed…………………………. Dated……………………………
    • time for an sar first make sure you read all the posts in the sar link too.   dx  
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
iyam71

Restons/ME III Claimform - MBNA Card - poss SB'd

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1059 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I received one of these a week or so ago.

To cut a long story short

they sent a pre legal protocol letter out in July.

I replied telling them they were wasting their time as I'm skint/no income etc

to which their reply was to send out one of their financial questionnaires.

I wrote back refusing to give them my details and asked them to provide a Notice of Assignment and CCA.

They would not comply as the letter was unsigned

so I sent a formal s.78 request to which I've had no reply.

Then the claimform arrived.

I'm wondering how to go about defending this in light of the fact I acknowledged the debt in my first letter.

Does this count for anything legally or is the burden of proof always on the claimant regardless?

The full details are as follows:

Issue date 26/9/16

POC:

1.The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant(s) under a contract between the Defendant(s) and MBNA dated on or about Feb 14 2008 and assigned to the Claimant on Jun 24 2016.

Date 06/07/16,

Item Default Balance, Value 1902.

Post Refrl Cr Nil. Total 1902.

N of A and Defalt Notice were both received.

Regular statements of account received, notice of sums in arrears received regularly until May 2013 only.

Originally MBNA - assigned to DLC/Hillesden Sept 2011, then to DLC/ME III Mar 2016.

Last payment Aug/Sept 2010.

No dispute with MBNA, but wrote to them in Dec 2010 to explain my financial position and why I couldn't pay them.

Going to send a 31.14 over the weekend.

Any help/assistance with how to go about defending would be much appreciated.

last payment was to whom?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Mbna.

id go ring mbna

ask last payment date

bet its statute barred

regardless to whatever letters you wrote.

The last payment was definitely made before 20/9/10. I was under the impression any correspondence acknowledging the debt reset the SB clock, so to speak.

What did you send

Did you sign the letter

Might already have been SB'd anyway

Wrote to them in July to explain my financial circumstances, but did not sign the letter. I also sent a similar letter in Dec 2010 which may have been signed - too long ago to remember.

i think i'd go file the SB defence myself

have you acknowledged the claim yet on MCOL website?

Acknowledged it already. Apart from the s.78 request thats all I've done so far.

The following defence is all you need if it is SB

1 The Claimant's claim was issued on (insert date).

2 The Defendant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the limitation act 1980.

If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.

3 The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £[insert figure from their POC] or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.

..ends..

so I sent a formal s.78 request to which I've had no reply.

Then the claimform arrived.

I'm wondering how to go about defending this in light of the fact I acknowledged the debt in my first letter.

Does this count for anything legally or is the burden of proof always on the claimant regardless?

The full details are as follows:

Issue date 26/9/16

POC:

1.The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant(s) under a contract between the Defendant(s) and MBNA dated on or about Feb 14 2008 and assigned to the Claimant on Jun 24 2016.

Date 06/07/16,

Item Default Balance, Value 1902.

Post Refrl Cr Nil. Total 1902.

N of A and Defalt Notice were both received.

Regular statements of account received, notice of sums in arrears received regularly until May 2013 only.

Originally MBNA - assigned to DLC/Hillesden Sept 2011, then to DLC/ME III Mar 2016.

Last payment Aug/Sept 2010.

No dispute with MBNA, but wrote to them in Dec 2010 to explain my financial position and why I couldn't pay them.

Going to send a 31.14 over the weekend.

Any help/assistance with how to go about defending would be much appreciated.

You may want to mention the non-compliance with s.78 in your defence as well because the debt cannot be enforced while in default. You say above last payment was in Aug/Sep 2010, claim issued Sep 2016, you are cutting it quite close here. Cause of action cannot be last payment date, you need at least an extra month for a missed payment. There have been cases where the courts have said the DN date is when the CoA runs from and MBNA often send their DNs very late. I got one in Sep 2010, not paid since Jan 2010. You also say your previous letter acknowledged the debt. Better cover yourself as much as you can.

Also check the DN, it's not just a matter of receiving it, does it give you at least 14 days to remedy? Does it quote a date to pay by or just "14 days"? Does the amount demanded match the amount of the arrears at the time? The devil's in the detail and it's best to get all this in your defence in case the SBd argument doesn't hold enough water.

you should not mix anything with an SB defence

an sb defence is absolute and theres no need to refer to anything else

as its immaterial if or if not they hold any paperwork.

do you know the defaulted date?

should be on your credit file?

you should not mix anything with an SB defence

So if the court decides that the debt is not SBd, the OP's defence will be out the window and they'll have a CCJ.

an sb defence is absolute and theres no need to refer to anything else

Absolute as long as the court agrees with the SBd argument, which is touch and go in this case due to last payment dates only just six years ago and a potential written acknowledgment of the debt.

as its immaterial if or if not they hold any paperwork.

It's not immaterial. s.78(6) clearly says that the creditor is not entitled to enforce the agreement if they fail to comply with s.78(1).

do you know the defaulted date?

should be on your credit file?

Credit file default dates are immaterial for the purposes of limitation.

if the claimant wants to dispute the SB status that will be known long before it gets to a court

and the witness statement can be used to deal with any developments

you cant mix section 78 or anything with an SB defence so it is immaterial , as it makes you look a bit of a monkey being not confident with an SB defence

quite aware if you go read other threads than there is no relationship whatsoever between SB date and defaulted date.

if the claimant wants to dispute the SB status that will be known long before it gets to a court

and the witness statement can be used to deal with any developments

The witness statement is not the place to address fundamental issues not mentioned in the defence such as non compliance with s.78.

you cant mix section 78 or anything with an SB defence so it is immaterial , as it makes you look a bit of a monkey being not confident with an SB defence

With SB it's not a matter of showing confidence. There are times when being a credible witness and looking confident matters, but that's more to do with saying what you did or didn't do when you took out the card, etc. With SBd the burden of proof is on the claimant and saying that they have also not complied with s.78 of the CCA doesn't hurt. Limitation does not extend to CCA requests so they still have a duty to comply as long as there's an outstanding balance and account is not subject to judgment.

no harm in sending CCA / CPR for sure

but I still doubt the wisdom of mentioning this within an sb defence as nothing else matters

an sb defence is absolute

anyway lets not disrupt the op's thread too much......

no harm in sending CCA / CPR for sure

but I still doubt the wisdom of mentioning this within an sb defence as nothing else matters

an sb defence is absolute

anyway lets not disrupt the op's thread too much......

This is for the OP's benefit. Without having more info than what was posted above, it's not easy to comment further, however, it doesn't sound like a bulletproof SBd case.

I would tend to agree as this is close and probably prudent to enter a normal defence in this instance.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for all the above input.

If the SB clock starts from the date of the last payment or acknowledgement of the debt (as is states on the Stepchange site) then I only have the latter to worry about. If not then the relevant dates are 7/4/11 for the Default Notice, 27/4/11 for the remedy date, and the date of default on my credit file is 31/5/11. The last payment was made in Sept 2010, definitely before the 20th.

Here is an amended statute barred defence that I recently drafted for when the claim is borderline.

1 The Claimant's claim was issued on DDi/mm/yyyy.

2.The date last payment made was the dd/mm/yyyy

3.The Default Noticed was issued dd/mm/yyyy and served several months after the initial breach thus the cause of action delayed by X months and the Limitations period prolonged to 6 years and X months which in effect allows the creditor to stop time running and the creditor having effective control of when a limitation period begins or even starts to run.

4.Therefore the Defendant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years have elapsed since the date on which any true cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.

5.The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £x or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

You can also throw in the following ....

The Financial Conduct Authority rules state:

CONC 7.15.4 Notwithstanding that a debt may be recoverable, a firm must not attempt to recover a statute barred debt in England, Wales or Northern Ireland if the lender or owner has not been in contact with the customer during the limitation period.

CONC 7.15.8 A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred.

Thanks for the proposed defence Andy.

When you refer to the claim as being borderline is that down to not knowing the specific dates involved, or is it because the cause of action is open to different interpretations?

It basically cover both arguments...when a default should be listed...what the Statute of Limitations specifies in its legislation...because its a grey area and Judges interpretations vary considerably

When you refer to the claim as being borderline is that down to not knowing the specific dates involved, or is it because the cause of action is open to different interpretations?

The cause of action is open to interpretation. It could be when you first missed a payment but there's been arguments saying that, since the Consumer Credit Act requires a default notice to be issued before the account can be terminated, the full amount demanded, etc., then the cause of action should be when the DN is issued. A judge actually went along with that in court.

And plenty have also gone along with the first contractual missed payment...so as stated a grey area and varies by district judges.