style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2754 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just completed the pre end of tenancy check list with my LA who said it was law that I had to get the house fumigated as I have a cat....no one I have talked to, including Rentokill, have said this is the law....anyone else heard of it?

Never heard of it and it sounds most unlikely.

The only obligation is to return the house to the state that it was when you moved in – minus normal wear and tear.

It sounds like a try-on to me

Never heard of it and it sounds most unlikely.

The only obligation is to return the house to the state that it was when you moved in – minus normal wear and tear.

It sounds like a try-on to me

To return in the state I moved in would mean me putting fist sized holes in the bedroom walls(hiding them behind posters!), putting worn wallpaper up and returning the mold/fungus growing carpet to the bathroom!

TBH, I've never heard of any such law?

Is this a private let?

Was it stated in your tenancy agreement?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Never heard of such a law.

Did you have permission for pets and is fumigating mentioned at all in your Tenancy Agreement.

What I would do is ask the LA for a copy of the link to the Governments Website on this New Law as you require clarification on this.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Sounds like LL condition for his acceptance of pets. Did you even ask LL for permission to keep a pet, ferret or cat?

No one has suggested you are required to return property to the exact move in state, only that property should be in no worse condition (less FW&T) than at start, as evidenced by Inventories.

If no fleas at start but noted at end, where do you think they came from?

As for specific fumigation Legislation . I doubt it, but LLs are required to undertake Legionella checks as H&S precaution and fleas are also a H&S matter.

If it is evident at end of T, that T has kept a cat or dog, with or without LL permission, I will seek to retain cost of prof pet clean & poss flea eradication costs from Deposit.

If it is about the possibility of fleas then for as little as £4 a can of flea killer can be sprayed around as the last thing you do before you leave. Keep the receipt. Most tins do 3 bed house. Do what it says on tin and leave note on door about when the 30 mins or whatever it needs is up.

I'm assuming hoovering and tidying cleaning etc.

Job's a good un

Edited by CTRL-H

One can did my home after neighbour left with 3 cats and their fleas looked for new home. And my cat and dog were both flea treated.

But I agree with you, some unreasonable LLs do expect too much from tenants. That's why I tell all tenants to reclaim their deposit by not paying final months rent. Also saves the trouble of having LL claiming deposit was advanced rent thus not repayable.

It is an not an unreasonable LL that sues any T for not returning any property in 'similar condition to start, less FW&T.

Fleas, if not present at start of T, is classed as T damage, not FW&T.

Your advice for all Ts to withhold last month rent is akin to advising a Breach of Contract and T could end up with a CCJ.

AFAIK it is against Forum rules to advise anyone to break the Law. Take care!

It is not against any law I am aware of to pay all rent owed, including recovering deposit by using it to pay last months rent.

Yet there are laws to control LLs who did not used to repay deposit with almost impunity.

Also if the property was not fumigated before T took on tenancy then, from your argument, it is unreasonable to expect big expense on say of LL.

LLs swap property rights for rent. If all rent paid and property tidy then all's well that ends well.