Should I sue Barclays, they took £244.61 for no reason with DD

Kamil83
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2759 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, on 25th I was taken 244,61f from my account by Direct Debit from O2. They said it was mistake but I know people that was edited like that before. O2 said to use Indemnity Claim (firstly they said they are refunding me but after few chats they said they didn't - pure edited). I contacted Barclays like 5-6 times. Everyone edited or ignores the matter. I have proof on chatts that different customer service write that indemnity claim is succesful and I will get my money back but after 2.5 days I don't have nothing.

I have just called on barclays helpline and some guy edited told me that they need 2 more days (he didn't even check anything). I told that I want to speak with Branch Manager - he told ok and put me on hold and then he disconnected !!

I have a problem because now I am abroad - normally I would go to the bank and won't leave without my money.

Just a good thing I know now that Barclays are edited same as O2. Never go to them. I am taking my money from their accounts as soon as I can.

What should I do with 244,61f - should I sue them? Barclays as an UK bank is obligated to use in this matter DD guarantee - and I should get my money asap.

Tomorrow I will propably call a lawyer and will see how it goes from there.

Edited by slick132
Removed defamatory accusations

Hi Kamil and welcome to CAG

Please avoid making defamatory remarks and accusations - our Site cannot afford to carry these. Your post above has been edited accordingly.

We could use some more info :-

1. Are you an O2 customer or not.

2. It's not clear if they've taken money with no authority or taken money and you dispute the amount.

3. Is there a DD mandate in place for O2.

It's probably way too early to involve a lawyer. Normally you would contact the bank or the company that has taken the disputed amount and attempt to resolve the matter.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

1. I was O2 customer, everything paid off, contract finished on 02.09.16 (service has stopped), I have paid off my phone. There was just few pounds to pay from 25 to 02. On my O2 I got that everything was paid just for last month (18f bill - was told that most of it will be refunded)

2. O2 sent me email that they will take 244,61f from my account. I contacted them on chat - and they told me that there was some kind of error but I shouldnt worry - they will change it to 18f. On 25th they took 244,61f !! After that I contacted them numerous times - every time I got response that I am lucky and should be happy because they are refunding it to me.

After a week I made complaint and after that I got email that I can choose refund or idemnity claim !! (there is nothing on my account that anyone ever made any refund for me !! - and I got proof of customer service doing this for me ) - after this I knew this is a [problem].

3. I had paid always O2 with DD - I canceled it after I saw that they took 244,61f. But I had only 20f on my account - why Barclays gave money that I didnt have !!!

There is no contact of anykind with Barclays. They ignored my phonecall, they replied on chat but saying everytime something else.

As I see it its not first time - they do it propably to many people that go abroad thinking they won't do anything. In this situation O2 knew it is a mistake - I contacted cs and they said they will sort this out - and they never did. Now they are just stalling - writing I need to wait, more and more in every mail/chat

Oh and 2nd thing. On 25th Pound was far more worth than it is worth now.

So you see that it smells [problem] as hell. When I went into my account I saw - 218f !! I needed to transfer money from other account !! I didn't take any overdraft or any buffer zone.

Right Id like to add my 2 cents and hopefully I can be of some help knowing O2 rather well..

You have 2 issues,

1 - Barclays Paid A DD When you didnt have enough funds to cover it

2 - Your O2 bill is exceptionally high.

Lets start with Barclays. Have you had your money back yet? Did you complete a DD Indemnity? If not, go do it now. And please stop freaking out about this.

I get you are angry but getting a lawyer involved for this will just fall flat on its face.

Barclays just pay out based upon a DD Instruction set up from O2. If you are unhappy with the service you have recieved, then complain to Barclays about being hung up on. You may receive compensation for poor treatment.

2nd Issue.... And i need to know more.

2 - O2... Tell us more about this large DD that went out. Did you get a bill of some nature telling you how much and what it was for.

Usually you can get these from your online account... Tell me more and when you can do I will help.

If you have done a DD Indemnity then you should get the funds back within a maximum of 72 hours depending on the amount of time that has gone past since the payment has been processed.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Kamil which country are you in, you have stated 244,61f which suggests switzerland but the postcode is polish, just trying to clarify as rules may be different from uk where we are based.

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

If it was taken by a DD then get it back under the DD guarantee

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

a) I have made my indemnity claim 55 hours ago. I used all my minutes on calls so only email/chats now.

b) I was told by first person on chat that indemnity claim is succesful and I will get in touch by people that do this. No one called/emailed me.

c) I just complained about my matter on email.

2. I got the bill on 11th. I contacted them ASAP and they told me that it is some kind of error that takes all 240f for my Iphone (but I have paid it off 2 weeks ealier) and was told that they will erase this bill and change it to normal one (18f)

The bill wasnt even on My O2 - it was just emailed me. On my o2 was 18f !

1 Hour ago I was told they need min. +48h for DD Indemnity but it was already 55h from the claim.

2nd thing - after brexit pound is going lower and lower. In a week pound will be same as Euro. If I get my money back like even a week or more I will loose around 20f on that considering how good pound was on 25.08

I just want to sort this out and take my money out of the bank.

Now I am scared that anyone can take any ammount of money even if I dont have the money to pay it off.

Ahh ok, the "f" after the monetary post, 244,61f suggested swiss francs

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

No worries its clear now that we are dealing with uk based problem, for info its gbp not f

Ok so when you set up the direct debit via O2, you will have agreed to a variabke mandate, which barclays will oay upon request from O2, on a monthly basis, as its variable, it allows for the amounts to change monthly if necessary due to usage differences, month to month.

Barclays are not at fault here, O2 are, but Barclays have a "Direct Debit Guarantee" as do all uk banks, in which, if a company such as O2 make an error when requesting a payment, which is whats happened here, Barclays will refund it to you within 72 hours and then reclaim it from O2.

This is the quickest resolution to your problem. Invoke the Direct Debit Guarantee if you have not already done so.

Ok cool, keep us updated

I've just got the money back :-) but all the nerves and stress, time I spent on it is mine :mad2: The most annoying was that everyone was incompetent to actually say why O2 took the money, when I get them back and how (same with Barclays every customer service saying something else). I spent like min. 5 hours on phones and chats.

Actually the best help - specific, fast, polite was here. Thank you for help :whoo:

No problem :) Happy to help.

I would pursue a complaint against Barclays, you have nothing to lose.

They can't treat you as they did. Either way, would you consider making a donation to the site to help keep us going?

FKO

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

When I get my refund from counsil tax (another problem hehe:P) will do that. Because I have just transfered all my money to Poland. Gbp is going down every minute. Already lost lots of money:/