Free Insurance ended - but unbale to get Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2754 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an 18 year old friend who bought a brand new Ford Fiesta in May 2016 on HP.

She drove it for just 1 month – in hindsight she feels was shoe-horned into the deal & was given 30 days free insurance by the dealer to get her on her way quickly.

The car has been parked up since June (all monthly payments have been made) but no one would insure her at the end the 30 days free insurance period.

Yes .. she should have looked into insurance BEFORE signing up (Naïve 18 yr old girl)

Does she have any form of re-dress with the manufacturer (dealer doesn't want to know) or with the finance company?

Apologies - she can get insurance, but for £5,000 (even after shopping around)

I thought there may be some form of duty of care by the dealer to ensure she was buying something she could afford - but I have told her that any duty of care would probably only extend to ensuring she could afford the monthly payments & the suitability of the car - but I wasn't sure If I was telling her the right thing.

what kind of car is it . since she is 18 you need the lowest insurance group possible it sounds as though she brought a car without looking into insurance first . has she looked into having telemetrics fitted (Black box) restrictions on when she could drive .

She's been a VERY naïve 18yr old - bought the car with her now ex-boyfriend in tow who had his own agenda & she came away from the dealer having bough a 'sporty' Fiesta (Brand New 16 Reg in May) I will suggest the telemetrics option

She could check the prices adding his mum or dad on the policy.

If they have good driving records it can help the price a bit.

Yes adding mature drivers can reduce the premium.

Two companies worth trying for a young female.

Elephant

Coop

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

i hope your not suggesting 'fronting' she has to remain the named driver . has she thought about a much bigger excess as well , also there are companies that if you pay over 10 month you will get your no claims built up i did that when i started mind you that was 20 years ago i think it admiral then not sure wether they still do it

No fronting. She has to be policyholder as the owner, but can add older drivers as named drivers to help reduce the premium. Because she would not have sole access to the car and mature drivers would also be using it, this helps reduce premiums.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

No fronting.

She can add a mature driver to the policy, have a box fitted, dash cam, park in a secure place at night rather than the road, reduce her mileage (some overestimate this by a lot) and take an advanced driving course.

All of this could contribute to a cheaper premium.

Don't expect to pay £300 though.

I think it will still be in the £2500/£3500 bracket.

Failing that she could sell the car and buy a cheap runaround to build up experience and ncd.

She would lose quite a lot if she sells the car, but what else can you do?

The dealer is not responsible for insurance.