Pets-Low Income-Mortgage-Self Employed-Employed- But Low Income.Are Pets Suffering.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2758 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I met a couple a few months ago,got chatting about this and that.

Got talking about mortgages being self-employed things like that.

Told me that after they have paid out for their home,food,gas electric and the rest they were left with next to nothing.

Had a dog that they had had for ages but now needed a trip to the vet which seems to cost plenty.

They told me that if they had been renting a property,private or council their low income would have given them housing benefit and they would then be entitled to get a little help with their pets fees.Think they meant the PDSA.

Now way back in 2007 I was writing about people being in poverty in Detroit and the housing crises etc.

People being repossessed or in arrears.

At the same time there was a massive increase in people unable to afford to take their pets to a vet.

What help is there available for people who cannot afford a vet because their income is low but their animals need help.

And are not on housing benefit etc.

Are there any groups anything out there that could help people and their animals. that are in these circumstances.

I do not like to think that some animals maybe needing help and could be sad because they are ill or in pain.

Thanks Tawnyowl.

wish there was TO, as in August I had to take my Dalmatian to the vets for urgent treatment. I am not able to get insurance for him or my Weimaraner as both older dogs ( both rescue ) and both have on going problems

Now the vet at first wanted to put the dog to sleep :(, did test and came out to say sorry but the dogs is healthy but needs emergency surgery, either a cost of £2k with ongoing treatment at over a £1k or they could flush out the problem ( found he had stones ) but they cost me £700 and now on special food which they charge me £80 for a 12kg bag :o

I am not entitled to any help at all so as you can imagine this left me struggling to pay it but I did, it is disgusting what they charge.

He may need further treatment but am not getting his food from the vets, not that price!, I am a HA tenant

No wonder some vets drive round in top of the range cars :/

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Hi snowdragon.

I have just been looking around and will look a little more for advice.

It is interesting that it seems if your animal is seriously sick or injured there may be help available.

Rather than me go on copying things from different sites I will copy a little then put the whole link on where I found this info.Hopefully, it is up to date.

Getting help in an emergency

If your pet suddenly becomes very sick or gets seriously injured and you simply do not have the money to pay for veterinary treatment on the spot, you must take your animal to the vets anyway. Veterinary surgeons are obliged, as part of their RCVS registration and the pledges that they made upon training and qualifying to become a vet, to provide emergency treatment to a minimum level that will ease pain and suffering. This may mean administering treatment to a very basic level for a short period until an alternative can be decided upon.

The link where i found this information.

Getting Help With Veterinary Treatment When You Can’t Afford It

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/getting-help-with-veterinary-treatment-when-you-cant-afford-it.html

Anybody else who knows anything or had experience please post.I will keep looking for ideas that may help people on a low income.

I asked if could by instalments, only to be told no as others had tried this and then never continued to keep up the payments!

I really think you should be able to get insurance for dogs with on going problems, it is not their fault, you also can not always get insurance on older pets!

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

now on special food which they charge me £80 for a 12kg bag

What's the food? Most 'prescription' diets can be bought from other sources at a lot less than vet prices. There may also be other brands - vets tend to keep just one brand but there's no reason you couldn't use another if the composition of the food is the same.

he is on Hills U/T Prescription kibble food, found it for £43 for 12kg but that is expensive I feel

Just popping in for a moment.

I have just been looking around here and there.

Realising how much people think of their pets.Realising also how much vets think of your pets but needing to pay for their staff,equipment,taxes and all the day to day running expenses of running a practice.

It must be terrible to see your animal ill and not being able to afford the expenses of treatment.

Especially if it is going to be long term.Very difficult choices could arise.

Not being able to perhaps to borrow to pay for treatment from friends,family or finance companies.

So what can you do. I heard of one lady locally whose dog was going to need long term care with the same medicine needed for life and expensive.She put a word out on social media asking for this medicine if someone had some but did not need it anymore.

And received some.I suppose you have to check carefully use by dates etc in these circumstances and dosage levels and strength.

Just a thought I am just looking around for ideas to help a little if possible for those who are trapped on a low income but do not qualify for a little help from Charities like the PDSA.

I will put their link on just in case someone out there might qualify.You just enter your postcode.

Eligibility

Do you qualify for PDSA Veterinary Services?

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

For the next idea,think what you want about it.As I looked around some thought it was begging but do not look at it like that.You need help and it may work,who knows.I had not heard of it much before but have occasionally seen the requests pop up but have never looked deeply at the idea.

It is called Crowdfunding.

Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or cause by raising money from a large number of people, typically through the Internet.

I will not put any links on but google Crowdfunding for Veterinary Care and you will soon get the idea.And where if needed to try if you feel you have to.

Well, that will do for now,i hope all your pets are fine today and put a picture on if you feel like it.Leave it with you,will keep looking for ideas and links.

Only thing i seem to be taking to the vets are injured seagulls.Friendly little devils when they stop pecking and snuggle up.

Best wishes.

Tawnyowl.

I will just lighten the thread with a little story,i do tell one or two at times.

Many years ago when I was a young owl trying to find my way in the world which I still am trying to do I painted houses,shops anything that did not move got painted.

A vet was moving into this shop and asked me to paint the shop.We agreed a price,mates rates and he went away.

In those day i was similar to Edward Scissorhands,rapid with the brushes,could use left or right hand at the same time so jobs got done quick.

The shop was a old carpet shop and had a sign saying Carpets 100% perfect guaranteed.

Well my brain used to think fast in those days,mmm, I thought this is a going to be a vets, i know I will paint out the Car on the sign the sign will then read Pets 100% perfect guaranteed.Clever lad,I may get a bonus.

Also on the side of the shop a massive poodle and a few dogs,easy to do.He will be happy.

The poodle was about six feet by three feet with a huge tail.

Looking back it looked like a Buffalo really.

He came back and i am sure he had kittens but i did not hang round to long, i took my money and scarpered his look said it all.

Weeks later he told me he did have a laugh about it.

Bye for now.Another entrepreneurial venture calling,i must fly.

Tawnyowl.

What's doubly frustrating is that when owners who are struggling with their pets for whatever reason be it financially or as a result of a change in circumstances try to re-home them they're often met with a barrage of abuse from the Facebook pet brigade. Despite trying to be responsible owners and realising they can no longer offer the care required they're accused of cruelty and of being terrible people.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

What's doubly frustrating is that when owners who are struggling with their pets for whatever reason be it financially or as a result of a change in circumstances try to re-home them they're often met with a barrage of abuse from the Facebook pet brigade. Despite trying to be responsible owners and realising they can no longer offer the care required they're accused of cruelty and of being terrible people.

I think Social Media has a lot to answer for with this type of contributor.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

he is on Hills U/T Prescription kibble food, found it for £43 for 12kg but that is expensive I feel

http://www.waitrosepet.com/dog/dry-dog-food/hills-prescription-diet-wd-dry-dog-food?tsrc=vdna&gclid=CIudrpiyw88CFSsq0wod-GIC-A&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://fetch.co.uk/hills-prescription-diet-canine-w-d-12kg-88554011?gclid=CP3sgrGyw88CFRfjGwodzX4KHw

The savings above aren't massive, but I guess every little helps !

I find it quite ironic that your Vet doesn't appear to have a some form of "assistance" programme for those on low incomes - but was willing to sell you such an expensive food diet for your pets !

I have recently ceased paying the exorbitant Insurance premiums for my two dogs - Fortunately our Vet has an insurance scheme along with other Vets in the county - It works out for my two - £30.00 a month. They receive their flea treatment - free - they have 6 monthly check ups and their nails clipped - free, plus any treatment and prescriptions they require is discounted by 10%.

Both my hounds are 21st century dogs - allergic to just about everything and require monthly allergy jabs. One is now a very old lady and the other 5 years younger. I pay the vet monthly for their treatment (over paying slightly each time so I have a balance) and I have also started putting money aside for them both into a Credit Union account just in case they need more expensive treatment.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My Weim is 12 and the Dalmatian is 11,

got food wrong ! 1 it is HILLS, U/D not U/T , Prescription food

There's nothing about Hill's u/d that's magic for your dog's problem. There are two types of stones, one which is helped by a diet which increases the acidity of the urine and one which increases the alkalinity. Hill's first attempt at a urinary prescription diet concentrated on one type which inevitably led to a marked increase in dogs with the other - ie it caused more problems than it solved. The current u/d is therefore neutral and no particular benefit to dogs with either type of stones. They also hold onto the idea that a low protein diet is beneficial which means if you look at the ingredients it's full of cheap rubbish.

More importantly though, the biggest threat to an animal with urinary issues is lack of hydration - so why dry food?

well his ran out and I have not bought any more as too expensive, I never knew Dalmatians suffered from stones, my other dog is fine, they have always normally had Wagg complete, sometimes with gravy, other times tuns ( once a week ) and now and then they had Webbox meat.

spelling mistake in my last post as tuns should read TUNA!