• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclays PPI - got spoofed by Direct Redress Limited to help me- they now want £1400 of £3700!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2706 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I had no idea that with my Barclays account I had PPi.

Barclays contacted me a few years ago and i got the odd thing in the post from them,

it always referred to the fact that 'IF' i had ppi, tbh i really didn't think i did.

The most recent form they sent me was so long!

With so many questions I could not possibly remember the answers.

This company contacted me and said they could see if they could do it for me and that they would do all the hard work, but then they sent me exactly the same questions,

I called them and explained this is why i signed with them because i thought they were going to do all this and the guy just tried to help with the answers.

Shortly after this I get a refund from Barclays for £3700 approx. AMAZING!

BUT they have sent me a bill for £1400.

I'm annoyed because all i needed to do was fill in the form like i did for this company and send it back to Barclays, like they asked me to a while ago,

now i have to pay this company £1400, so much money, for just this form...

Is there anything i can do?

I have been dealing with Barclays directly for a while on this and just hit a brick wall when the form came through with lots of questions that i couldn't remember the answer to.

did you actually sign any contract

and who is the CMC?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply DX

Yes stupidly i did, becuase i thought they would do all the work without me having to remember the information Barclays were asking me for

It is Direct Redress Limited.

When I spoke to them on the phone they said they would do everything and I would not have to do anything which led me to believe that there would be no questionnaires.

And tbh i really didnt think that i had PPi, so i was shocked to see the amount that came through, and even more horrified to see their commission was £1400 of that:shock:

don't like what i'm reading about this lot

seems they make numerous accidental mistakes on their fees..

this is one I found

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/aug/27/redress-claims-ppi-call

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ouch!!!

£1400 for basically doing what would have actually cost you is time & £0. Which is why it's always best to do your own PPI claims etc.

As cjcregg already suggested, you did sign the contract on your own free will....

Maybe someone on here with legal knowhow could read the contract you signed & it's T&Cs to see if there is a way out or not?

Otherwise your choices are limited to paying them the £1400 or not.

I hope you do manage to get this resolved. Good luck!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Hi there I filled in the form by bank redress but it was exactly the same questions as barlcays.

I feel a bit conned becuase they made out they would do all the work but really the only work to do was that questionaaire.

IF I had just completed the one Barclays had sent me and posted to them then barclays would have refunded me, now I have to pay Bank Redress £1400.

Does anyone know if bank redress would have known that I DID indeed have PPi and how much the claim would be worth

- should they not have advised me of the amount and approx fees (rather than a percentage) before I signed the contract

I realise the mistake i have made but also felt they deliberatly misled me - obviously, they wanted the £1400

http://directredress.com/terms-conditions/

were you sent these and told on the phone what their fees were?

dx

and they

Thank you for reply dx

I am not sure about the T&C's - i signed something and returned it to them, maybe that had the T&C's attached. I think i was advised of their charge and remember something like 25%

Do you know - do these companies having a way of working how much money you are owed?

Than you millions for your help

Do you have any paperwork at all from the PPI company? Such as a copy of the contract & the T&Cs.

As they must've sent you a copy for everything for your own records.

I've had a look at a contract a PPI company sent me (which I never filled in as I did my own claims) & there is enough paperwork to make your eyes roll, let alone T&Cs in teeny tiny, squint with one eye/both eyes in a day lit room whilst holding a magnifier so you can read them!! Lol

Lastly, I would say as you signed for the PPI company to act on your behalf, then your bank would've told them the £ figures involved & from that they work out their 25% that they are after.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel I have been mislead by this company - they said I would not have to do anything apart from sign an authorisation form, which I did, but then they sent me a long questionnaire. I think it is disgusting the amount they have charged for basically writing a couple of letters, and getting me to complete a form which they said they would do in the first place.

Also they probably knew how much PPI I was due to reclaim before I even did, so they probably knew what their fees would be.

On the basis they misinformed me I feel quite happy for them to take me to court and I will stand up and say that they said I would not have to do anything, I could have filled int he same form that Barclays sent me directly and got the ppi refunded without the need for this company who mislead me!

Any views on this?

I don't think that you have the basis of a defence.

You could try complaining to the Legal Ombudsman (you'd need to complain to the CMC first) but I don't think you have much of a chance refusing to pay on the basis that you had to fill in a form. The CMC couldn't possibly have got you the refund without you doing so.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks cjcregg,

I just feel they mislead me on the phone by saying i would not have to do anything they would do all the work.

I explained the situation on the phone so they would have known all i had to do was fill that form in and i would have got the refund

but instead they got me to go through them knowing i did not need to at the stage i was already at.

Sorry - what does CMC mean? Many thanks for your advice and help :)

Claim Management Company

and they

I feel I have been mislead by this company - they said I would not have to do anything apart from sign an authorisation form, which I did, but then they sent me a long questionnaire. I think it is disgusting the amount they have charged for basically writing a couple of letters, and getting me to complete a form which they said they would do in the first place.

Also they probably knew how much PPI I was due to reclaim before I even did, so they probably knew what their fees would be.

On the basis they misinformed me I feel quite happy for them to take me to court and I will stand up and say that they said I would not have to do anything, I could have filled int he same form that Barclays sent me directly and got the ppi refunded without the need for this company who mislead me!

Any views on this?

My bold above.

You admit you did sign the contract with the CMC of your own free will. Which included paying them their fees.

Can you actually prove they misled you on the phone? What proof do you have?

As you will need a defence if the CMC takes you to court.

Otherwise the choice is yours to pay them the £1400 or not.