speeding advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I was pulled for speeding about 11 days ago, late in the evening when the roads were quiet.

It was about 11pm and I came across a roundabout onto a dual carriageway that was completely empty and put my foot into it a bit.

I looked in my mirror and could see what looked to be a 4x4 a bit back and immediately lifted off.

When closer I could see it was a 16 plate X5 which followed me at around 70-75 then flashed its lights.

I was pulled,

said nothing and was informed I'd been clocked at an average speed of 93.

I kept quiet and never admitted to speeding, however the officer I was dealing with stated there was nothing he could do and that I was looking at an instant ban.

I still said nothing and allowed him to grill me and I then sat in the back of the police car.

He then changed his tune and told me how he'd been caught and that it had been a large amount of hassle to himself as a police officer (he wasn't a traffic officer, only a copper on the way back from an incident report who I'd unfortunately gone speeding past) and that he was going to give me a speed awareness course, which as far as I know can only be issued by the local authority issuing the ticket dependent on previous offences.

Do you have to be issued a ticket at the time of the offence and is it likely I'll be looking at a court summons in the coming weeks?

He was adamant I'd be getting a speed awareness course,

but at that speed on the gov website it's a summons from what I can see.

He also thought a summons would bring into play any calibrated equipment they had in car and that would show I was going over 100, which is something I never do as my understanding before this was below 100 meant no ban.

And I definitely didn't that night as I was watching it flick between 98 & 99...

Cheers

was this a dual carriageway whereby both sides are dual lane and there is an actual barrier between the directions of travel?

if not its 60 not 70MPH.

not being funny

but you come across with several points that you consider this unfair?

no one else was on the road

it was 11pm

that he wasn't a true traffic officer so shouldn't be issuing speeding tickets

and no speed awareness courses are no only issued by local authority...

I was watching I only did 98 poss 99MPH...

what if something had happened ...your wife/kids/parents lose their loved one ..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Guest roaringmouse

I am going to be brutally blunt here. I think you have a right cheek driving like an idiot then, after you are caught popping on here to try and find a loophole or advise.

I hope they do ban you because I would not want to meet you on the road. It is just a matter of time before you kill someone.

Hi

I was pulled,

said nothing and was informed I'd been clocked at an average speed of 93.

I kept quiet and never admitted to speeding, however the officer I was dealing with stated there was nothing he could do and that I was looking at an instant ban.

I still said nothing and allowed him to grill me and I then sat in the back of the police car.

He then changed his tune and told me how he'd been caught and that it had been a large amount of hassle to himself as a police officer (he wasn't a traffic officer, only a copper on the way back from an incident report who I'd unfortunately gone speeding past) and that he was going to give me a speed awareness course, which as far as I know can only be issued by the local authority issuing the ticket dependent on previous offences.

Do you have to be issued a ticket at the time of the offence and is it likely I'll be looking at a court summons in the coming weeks?

He was adamant I'd be getting a speed awareness course,

but at that speed on the gov website it's a summons from what I can see.

He also thought a summons would bring into play any calibrated equipment they had in car and that would show I was going over 100, which is something I never do as my understanding before this was below 100 meant no ban.

And I definitely didn't that night as I was watching it flick between 98 & 99...

Cheers

ACPO guidelines (ACPO has been replaced, but the guidelines stand until replaced) : are at e.g.

https://www.cambs-police.co.uk/roadsafety/docs/201305-uoba-joining-forces-safer-roads.pdf

Was the limit 60, or 70 (was it a true dual carriageway, as another contributor has higlighted).

60 limit, likely summons as above 86 mph.

70 limit, speed awareness course could appropriate from 79-86 mph, but summons in 'all other cases AND if above 96'.

So, you'll be lucky to avoid a summons. Since you were stopped by an officer, they don't have to send you an NIP, just issue the summons within 6 months.

Likely sentence?

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Final-MCSG-July-2016i.pdf

If they charge you for excess speed:

for 93 in a 60 limit, the starting point is a Band B fine, together with disqualification for 7-56 days or 6 points.

for 93 in a 70 limit, the starting point is a Band B fine, together with disqualification for 7-28 days or 4-6 points.

Of course, they may not decide to charge you for the excess speed only, the penalties are more severe if they decide to (and successfully) prosecute you for careless or dangerous driving ......

70 limit, speed awareness course could appropriate from 79-86 mph, but summons in 'all other cases AND if above 96'.

So, you'll be lucky to avoid a summons.

You're misreading the guidelines (admittedly they're badly written) and missing the bit about fixed penalties.

For a 70 limit a fixed penalty will normally be offered at speeds of 95 or lower, assuming the OP is eligible for one (ie he isn't already on 9 points or more). 3 points and £100. An instant summons would only come into play at 96 or above.

The OP can only really wait and see what comes through the door. If it wasn't a traffic officer them there's always the chance that he might decide that it's not worth the paperwork, and that he'll forget about it.

You're misreading the guidelines (admittedly they're badly written) and missing the bit about fixed penalties.

For a 70 limit a fixed penalty will normally be offered at speeds of 95 or lower, assuming the OP is eligible for one (ie he isn't already on 9 points or more). 3 points and £100. An instant summons would only come into play at 96 or above.

The OP can only really wait and see what comes through the door. If it wasn't a traffic officer them there's always the chance that he might decide that it's not worth the paperwork, and that he'll forget about it.

Since the OP was stopped, if the officer felt an FPN was the best way forward would they not have issued one?.

However, I agree that the officer may just be leaving the OP to "sweat it" over a summons landing on their doormat, and might not submit any paperwork ...

Guest roaringmouse

He might have told you that, but there is not a magistrate in the country that would let 140mph go without a ban. Bike talk.