David Lloyd Cancelation

Stenweb

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I recently joined my local David Lloyd gym on August 22nd. Last Friday (September 23rd), I had a letter through saying they were increasing my fees (!) up to £101 (from £95). Obviously I rang up to speak to the membership team about this to be told that "they was nothing they could do". Slightly frustrating as they'd have known about this fee increase when I joined in August!

I said to the lady on the phone that budget was an issue and this pushed it above my budget, and that I'd appreciate it if they would honour an immediate cancellation, due to the circumstances. On the phone she said, that would be fine and to reply to an email to confirm this. Her email was as below:

Steven,

As per our conversation please reply to this email confirming your request to cancel your membership. I understand from our call your level of frustration and would appreciate your feedback regarding the pending price increase from the 1st January 2017.

I await your reply.

Kind regards

Alex Smith | Member Relations Advisor | David Lloyd Worcester

I also cancelled my direct debit and haven't thought anything of it - in the mean time, signed up for a cheaper gym in the area, for 12 months.

I just had an email from them saying that they haven't received my payment this month. I'm worried now that they won't honour the verbal agreement I had with the lady on the phone and will hold me to the T&Cs.

Any thoughts?

Without seeing your particular T&Cs i couldnt say. Could be a clause in there saying if a price rise you have a right to cancel if not under contract?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Sten and welcome to CAG

Yes, we need to know what your T&C's say about any right to cancel before a price increase. Can you look it up and let us know.

Also, did you reply to her email and what exactly did you say (remove any identifiers).

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I've looked at DL's T&C's about fee increases :-

15.2 Increase in membership fees

a At any time, you can end your membership if we give you notice under A18 (‘Changing your

membership fees and this agreement’) of an increase in your membership fee of more than

either 1% above the rate of inflation or 3%, whichever is higher. The rate of inflation means the

Retail Prices Index All Items 12-month percentage change published by the Office for National

Statistics for the July before the date on which we give you notice.

b You must give us notice in writing in line with A2 ‘Notice’. The period of notice is one calendar

month for Flexible membership or three calendar months for Standard Annual and Standard

Monthly membership.

In your case, the fee increase is over 6% so you're entitled to cancel in accordance with the terms shown at a. and b. above. The notice required depends on the type of m/ship you signed for.

In your case, if you were told you could cancel by a staff member, than the comments she made would affect how and when you could cancel.

So, as well as telling us how you replied to her email, can you also let us know exactly what she said to you on the phone. In particular, did she say WHEN you could cancel the DD or HOW LONG you could continue to use the gym.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)