Energy Companies Offering New Customer Only Deals and Barring Exisiting Customers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2753 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have just read this article and am quite disgusted by energy companies at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37521168

Since the regulator said they weren't going to pursue this practice, energy companies have brought back in new customer only deals that are in many cases over £200 a year cheaper.

So I had a few questions about switching and how it affects other things

1: If you have applied for the Warm Home Discount (I just have), does switching mean you have to apply again with the new supplier (if they are part of the scheme).

2: What happens if you are awarded the WHD and then switch... do you still get the full amount credited to your account?

3: If you have solar panels fitted as my mum does with EON, what happens to the Feed In Tarrif... Does that stay with EON or do you have to transfer it over to the new supplier? Because my mum had so many problems with EON over the FiT and really doesn't want the hassle of that all over again.

On top of that they've just informed my mum that they're raising her DD from £59 to £70... which is a pain because all they've done is drop it to eat up the credit over the summer and then hike it for the winter... But as my dad died in July, her usage has dropped by around 30% but won't be reflected in her bills or DD until next year.

It's time energy companies were held to account for these disgusting practices... Both my mum and I want to switch and take advantage of these new customer only offers... But need to know if these obstacles will cause issues... Losing the WHD of around £140 would easily be offset by new customer deals that could save me around £200 over the next 12 months.

Heckler, I agree with your comments re New customers being offered better deals. However, if you are on a fixed contract, when it comes to an end, surely you are no longer a customer? I would take this up with the ombudsman.

Bear in mind two things on energy comparison sites though:

1. The savings they say you can make are compared to their most expensive one's so it looks like you are saving a lot of cash

2. Scrutinise all the small print. Some comparison sites offer better deals than others, like cashback, Nectar points etc.

One site stated that if you were in credit they would add on 3% monthly. It turned out that it was really 3% ANNUALLY. My existing fixed dual fuel deal is coming to an end soon, so making sure I would not be penalised (the last month of the deal usually allows this, but do check) I looked around and actually saved 10% compared to last year and they were going to raise my new deal by 15%! Incredible!

One last thing: Do look at reviews of Energy suppliers. The cheapest generally are the worst when things go wrong.

Both mine and my mums deals are not bound by an contracts, we could both switch easily enough... But it's the questions about solar panels and the FiT, and the warm home discount that I've not been able to find answers too.

I'm on the EDF blue price March 17 tariff, and switching to their Oct one... estimates that I'll save £15... but the kicker is that they say my DD will go up from £55 to £70.

All of the comparison sites compare what my annual bill would be on standard rates... which is around £300 higher than it actually is... and of all the tariffs offered the biggest saving is only £280 with £30 per fuel termination fees... EDF are good in that they don't charge them at the moment.

I reckon I'll be better of sticking to my current tariff and waiting for the WHD to be applied (I've had it the last 2 winters and my circumstances haven't changed)... I've actually had around £200 refunded to me in the last 14 months because I've radically altered my usage to save money.

I presume then that you are on a variable tariff in which you don't have any leaving fees. I would serve out your time until March then change. I'm going over to Sainsburys Energy as they gave me a good tariff although their daily charge out rate is a hefty 26p/fuel!

I am currently with E.on and they have been very good as you can agree with them what you should pay within reason so that you don't go too much in credit or debit. I think this is the fairest way to charge. You have to give them monthly readings so they can adjust accordingly. I would have stayed with them if they could have offered me the new customer tariff but hey, that's life at the moment. Incidentally, Sainsburys Energy is allied to BG but not with BG prices. I'll have to wait and see what their customer services are like after I've been with them for a few months and then offer my opinion.

Having £200 refunded seems to be a lot of money in EDF's hands. How did they accrue such an amount? It pays to regularly look at your payments vs your consumption and get in touch with the supplier to try and agree a different payment amount. I have made a chart now of my payments vs consumption which is proving very handy. I also have my yearly consumption figures for gas and electric for easy comparison for when I want to change suppliers. I believe the best time to change energy suppliers is about now before the prices go up in the New Year. Perhaps you should look at this in more detail?

Both mine and my mums deals are not bound by an contracts, we could both switch easily enough... But it's the questions about solar panels and the FiT, and the warm home discount that I've not been able to find answers too.

I'm on the EDF blue price March 17 tariff, and switching to their Oct one... estimates that I'll save £15... but the kicker is that they say my DD will go up from £55 to £70.

All of the comparison sites compare what my annual bill would be on standard rates... which is around £300 higher than it actually is... and of all the tariffs offered the biggest saving is only £280 with £30 per fuel termination fees... EDF are good in that they don't charge them at the moment.

I reckon I'll be better of sticking to my current tariff and waiting for the WHD to be applied (I've had it the last 2 winters and my circumstances haven't changed)... I've actually had around £200 refunded to me in the last 14 months because I've radically altered my usage to save money.

Exactly what I am experiencing with EDF etc

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

JUST received E-Mail from SSE in response to question:- if I paid say monies into account via Faster payments during a month and the amount exceeded standard Direct Debit amount would they still take monthly figure as well:- response basically below says yes = double payment!????

I understand you have been looking at transferring your supplies to SSE but have been unable to reach us by telephone.

I am sorry that we have not answered your call. I can confirm that if you have a Direct Debit in place on your accounts we will take the monthly amounts every month even if you make additional payments throughout that same month.

We can also check if you would be entitled to our Warm Home Discount scheme which is your supplier calls Home Front however if you were to transfer to us you would need to re-apply for this payment as it is not transferable between suppliers.

I hope the information I have provided you with has been useful however please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I've now confirmed that if you apply for the Warm Home discount and then switch suppliers before it's credited to your account... You will have to apply again with the new supplier.

I'm still none the wiser on what happens if you have solar panels and get the feed in tariff and want to switch though.