neighbour raised height of garden. flooding/privacy?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2738 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can you help confirm something for me regarding a back garden boundary with my neighbour of 35 years.

The boundaries were old stlye and marked out by hedges, not long after we moved in we asked the neighbours if we could cut them and put a fence in instead.

They understandably wanted to keep the hedge. So we put the fence up on our side.

Now my beautiful neighbour is moving. I have started getting anxious over the boundary because my deeds are not ckear on that side and show nothing.

I do not want the hedge row cutting down because it offers a countryside feel, height, privacy. We have been maintaining the hedge on our side throughout the 35 yrs.

If I recall correctly from the party wall act, puttung that fence up does not mean losing the shared boundary?

Is this correct? I am only interested in truth, not trying to claim anyting that is not mine or be awkard, only peaceful.

If this is correct was wondering what folk do. Ask their neighbour for a letter stating these facts? Ask them to make it clear to new owner? It is important that I minimise stress due to health and I am not bothered about a foot of boundary but the privacy the hedge currently privides if cut will make it difficult to enjoy my garden anymore.

Peace

Clear33

thanks in advance

Might it be worth a call to the Land Registry ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Btw... putting up a fence on your side should not affect the shared boundary... I had a footpath on the boundary of my property which I fenced off. Now that the path has been diverted somewhere else, I can move my fence back to it's original position and reclaim my land.

If you had maintained the hedge on both sides, you may have been able to claim adverse possession of the land it stands on. TB

You had two threads on this issue, I have merged them.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Btw... putting up a fence on your side should not affect the shared boundary... I had a footpath on the boundary of my property which I fenced off. Now that the path has been diverted somewhere else, I can move my fence back to it's original position and reclaim my land.

If you had maintained the hedge on both sides, you may have been able to claim adverse possession of the land it stands on. TB

Thankyou very much for your reply and helping me clarify this. I thought that was the case. Just needed more heads to talk it over with :)

It would be such a shame to lose the hedge... would your current neighbour transfer the land including the hedge for a small fee? TB

@ThedaBara

It would be a big loss - exactly right.

Can I ask is this a common occurence? Could it cause offence in any way? How would I know how much is appropriate? Dont know if I could summon up the courage to ask :/

I don't see how it could cause offence… It could be a 'peppercorn' amount if your neighbour is moving and is no longer affected by it, they may accept a token amount of £1. Usually where there is a dispute and there is nothing at LR, the land can be registered to whoever has maintained it for 12 years. I would definitely ask the neighbour… you've nothing to lose (but your hedge). TB

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have to hand a quote or something that the shared boundary hedge remains shared even though I have had to put up fence panels on my boundary since the neighbour did not agree to cutting the hedge down to put the fence panels in the middle, a long time ago?

I have looked but there is nothing in the party wall act.

I am only trying to protect the hedge from being cut down by a potential new neighbour and nee a reference...

It's a bit confusing.

You said that you have put the fence up because the neighbour objected to you cutting the hedge.

Now you're concerned that your new neighbor might cut the hedge.

Surely that would please you as that's what you wanted in the first place.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

I have a new neighbour. They have cleared overgrowth but failed to take the mound of soil dumped on the land (about 8 truck loads). Cowboy did damage to shared boundary hedge too. But have let that go.

Stressful.

instead of removing soil it has been levelled with no retainer wall. Now their garden will be a foot or prob. More like two foot higher than mine. It slopes towards my house and to my horror privacy is lost as a view straight onto my patio and kitchen can be seen.

I just want to be informed and either re-assured or find a win win. I am really amicable so don't need that talk and they are lovely too.

All sorts of info coming at me. Level shouldnt be above my damproof course if my house is 10ft away (it is)

May need to inform my insurance

Should be rubble, holes for drainage, retainer wall etc.

Some say should have planning permission others say not.

Also the privacy into my kitchen should have been taken into account.

All sorts of info coming at me. Level shouldnt be above my damproof course if my house is 10ft away (it is)

May need to inform my insurance

Should be rubble, holes for drainage, retainer wall etc.

Some say should have planning permission others say not.

Also the privacy into my kitchen should have been taken into account.

Much depends on whether there is a new development next door which required planning consent.

If a house is being built or they are having an extension built you have more rights. If it is just general tidying of a garden, where they have excess soil, you cannot do much.

I think you need them to see what your problems are from your point of view. If they are inadvertently causing you a problem with drainage onto your property then they are opening themselves up to being possibly liable at a future date, which you want to try to avoid.

At this stage i doubt your Home Insurers would be interested,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I am not entirely sure how the drainage will occur. I do have a fence between it and my home, but people are telling me its problematic. Obv. Better to get issue sorted now before they put the garden in etc.

We have a lot of rain here.

P.s. nice avatar :-)

I am being told raising garden by over foot does require planning consent.

Otherwise they were just supposed to be clearing all the soil that was pushed back by the owner before them to make a carpark out of a derelict garden without planning consent.