Repaying Tax Credit overpayment

Billy Bremner
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2736 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anybody give me some advice on this please?

I have been paying off an overpayment of a few hundred pounds at £20/month and have now received a demand for £2000 for an overpayment for the last tax year ( I always let them know of any changes so why they overpaid when they have up to date information god only knows).

I rang and asked if I could just keep paying until it's all paid off and they want incomings and outgoings. I said I wasn't happy to give him all these details and he told me there was nothing he could do then. I told him I was offering to pay but he didn't seem interested.

Do I need to give them my personal financial information and can they refuse my genuine offer to repay?

Thanks all,

B.B

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like your claim ended and you are asked to pay direct. They can't help you set a reasonable amount and timescale for repayment if you won't say what your financial position is. Ultimately, they are tasked with recovering public money as quickly as they reasonably can, so without evidence to support otherwise, they'll seek to get it back quicker than they might otherwise with your co-operation.

Your call.