Car impounded by Sainsbury's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2762 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had to walk home from Sainsbury's and leave my car in the petrol station.

Nothing wrong with the car and I haven't broken any laws.

I filled the car with petrol and went to pay using my debit card as usual.

Transaction didn't go through due to a problem with the internet.

I was told to go to the cash machnines to draw the cash to pay for the petrol.

The Sainsbury's cash machines were also not working.

I walked over to the Asda cash machines and they weren't working either.

Being unable to pay for the petrol I was not allowed to take my car from the Sainsbury's petrol station.

None of this is my fault at all.

I left my car on the Sainsbury's pertol station forecourt and walked home in disgust.

Should I return late tonight and steal my own car back and risk arrest for stealing petrol?

Or should I buy another car and send Sainsbury's the bill ?

No it's not April 1st. Why do you think it is?

Yes go get it back, as they cannot legally impound it. Just make sure that first thing in the morning or tonight if still open you pay for the fuel.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

probably a local phone exchange issue and all cards/machines were like it

probably find they work now.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think I will buy another car and send them the bill for inconvenience.

and tell me where your old one is :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

My old what?

Sorry, thought you were going to buy a new car so the one in sainsbury's would be your old one, I could take it off your hands.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I think I will buy another car and send them the bill for inconvenience.

You could try : their legal dept. will have a good chortle!

It doesn't sit well with your requirement to "mitigate your loss".

While you are at it, why not sue (by 'joining' them to any claim) the telecoms provider for the cash machines, your bank, Fred Blogs who was walking past, and the Almighty ..... you've about as much chance of a successful claim against them. So, don't be silly.

You have legitimate grounds for complaint, but being a 'drama llama' doesn't strengthen your position.

Did you 'drama llama' in the petrol station too?. Is that why they suggested leaving your car there until you had paid?.

If there was a technology fault, rather than inadequate funds in your account : Why not just leave them your name and address which is all the law requires, and make an agreement to return to pay. (+/- leaving some photo ID, if they needed further reassurance). If they weren't happy with this, and insisted on keeping your car, you should have asked for the police to be called.

What offence do you think would have been committed if you had left (with your car!), having:

a) funds in your account,

b) non-payment purely as a result of a technological fault, and

c) you had made reasonable arrangements to return to pay?.

No at at all. I am an honest person. A rare animal these days.

ahh, yes, that sits so well with:

Should I return late tonight and steal my own car back and risk arrest for stealing petrol?

Get the money to pay out, return, settle the bill and take your car back. Stop drama'ing.

Normal procedure is a form petrol stations have to complete like an iou when this type of issue occurs. Tesco does. I would write to their head office and tell them about what happened to you see what they have to say.

I think banter is being taken seriously. I'm sure Chief will/has returned and paid the bill by now.

Guest roaringmouse

I would have called the police, they could simply take your details and provided you return within a reasonable time (say 24 hours ) and pay, their is no problem. Clearly the onus is on you to have payment available, but clearly you did everything REASONABLE to pay.

I would have got a taxi not walked and would certainly bill Sainsburys for the taxi. In any case, tell Sainsburys you want £100 in vouchers by way of compensation for the humiliation and (if you are female) putting you in danger late at night.

I did go back the next morning and paid the bill with my debit card when their systems were working. I then drove my car home. The whole situation is sad and silly because I have been a regular customer of this Sainsbury's branch for over seven years. I know many of the staff and I am first name terms with many of them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Get a Formal Complaint of your experience into the Chief Executive:

Mr Mike Coupe

Chief Executive

Sainsbury's

33 Holborn

London

EC1N

Email: [email protected] (No Spaces)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Transaction didn't go through due to a problem with the internet.

I was told to go to the cash machnines to draw the cash to pay for the petrol.

The Sainsbury's cash machines were also not working.

I walked over to the Asda cash machines and they weren't working either.

How many cars did they impound? This must have been the same for everyone.

You really need to escalate this, especially as it was not your doing that they couldn't accept card payment. No doubt the garage has card symbols displayed telling you what cards are accepted, so unless they made you aware before filling that it's cash only as systems are down then they had no right to keep your car. You had every intention of paying and had the means to do so via the garages advertised accepted method of payment so in the circs they should have taken details and arranged for payment at later date. I'd have gone ballistic and no way would I have left my car but instead give them my details and invite them to call the police if they didn't like it. It's not a drive off or deliberate refusal to pay and you attempted to pay so clearly a civil matter and the police only needed to prevent a breach of the peace if some muppet tried to detain my car. For all they know you could have lived the other end of the country with no means to get home!

You really need to escalate this, especially as it was not your doing that they couldn't accept card payment. No doubt the garage has card symbols displayed telling you what cards are accepted, so unless they made you aware before filling that it's cash only as systems are down then they had no right to keep your car. You had every intention of paying and had the means to do so via the garages advertised accepted method of payment so in the circs they should have taken details and arranged for payment at later date. I'd have gone ballistic and no way would I have left my car but instead give them my details and invite them to call the police if they didn't like it. It's not a drive off or deliberate refusal to pay and you attempted to pay so clearly a civil matter and the police only needed to prevent a breach of the peace if some muppet tried to detain my car. For all they know you could have lived the other end of the country with no means to get home!

I completely agree with your posting. However, I am getting old and I don't want the blood pressure associated with disputes any more. Luckily the Sainsbury's is just half a mile from my house, just a ten minute walk home.

Resulting from this incident I have now decided to only buy petrol with cash. When electronic networks break down cash still works. When and if we end up a cashless society, god help us when things break down.

Guest roaringmouse

Cash. Oh yes. KFC last year we went for a couple of buckets for us and some friends. Came to £42 odd. I produced a £50 note and you would think I tried to pay with a dead baby. Bottom line was they refused to take £50 notes, so I have never been back since and have lost 14 stone in the process. I say 14 stone, wife left me.....:razz: