Leave your bag

tiger265
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2760 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I went into a store in Birmingham today.

They are a relatively small store, two or three branches at most.

I won't name them at this stage.

I've been there many times and spent much money.

They are really good value.

When I entered today the security officer told me that they have a new policy whereby they take your bag (or in my case rucksack) from you and keep it until you leave.

I said "No thank you, I will keep it with me."

Their response was "Well, you'll have to let me look inside it then." I refused,

I continued to browse the store and make my purchases.

I expected to be followed but I don't think I was.

I saw other customers carrying their own bags (mainly women with large handbags).

I wondered, had they refused like me, or were they not questioned?

I completed my shopping trip and left.

My reason for posting is to ask:

Are they allowed to do this?

They had a branch in Walsall a few years ago and they did this there.

The fact that I simply refused and still went round suggests that they have no basis in law.

Please share your opinions.

Only a warranted individual such as a copper etc has that authority

And even then, they need reasonable grounds to conduct a search. Just because they don't like the look of your bag, dress, hair style, or whatever is insufficient reason.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I thought that was the case. Do they have to give you any reason?

No reason needs to be given to refuse entry or service, although politeness suggests that a reason should be given. For example, a restaurant may have a dress code that requires patrons to wear a shirt & tie or long dress/skirt.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

My nearest Toysrus have a notice which says 'we reserve the right to search all bags'. Never been too sure what 'right' they're referring to. It's only visible as you're leaving, after you've paid so they can't claim you've had the option not to shop there if you don't like their policy.

There are a few shops around me that have lockers where you leave your bag and keep the key.

I suppose that they've had a large loss in the past due to shoplifting if they invested in something like that.

Don't really feel like blaming them, I would be pretty upset if I had to charge customers more to cover "disappearing" stock.

My nearest Toysrus have a notice which says 'we reserve the right to search all bags'. Never been too sure what 'right' they're referring to. It's only visible as you're leaving, after you've paid so they can't claim you've had the option not to shop there if you don't like their policy.

Seen this in other countries. In one store overseas, if you went into the store with bags from other stores, they used to staple the top of bags, i guess to stop people putting items in bags.

Tends to happen in stores where they don't have security tags on all items.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

In one store overseas, if you went into the store with bags from other stores, they used to staple the top of bags, i guess to stop people putting items in bags.

I wouldn't object to that. I do object to the Toysrus notice and there's no way I'd let them conduct a search.

presume they shout in equal sized print that they reserve the right to be sued for false imprisonment when they try and assert their other "right".

Guest roaringmouse

Shops do have the right to refuse anyone entry, but must have a basis. For example you are drunk, disorderly, they have previously seen you stealing etc. They cannot refuse you entry based on your colour for example. They can ask to look in your bag and you can refuse as you quite rightly did - even upon leaving. If they think you have stolen anything whilst in the store they can again ask you to show the contents of your bag and even pockets, and again you can (and should) refuse. They then have the right to detain you using reasonable measures and await the police arrival, HOWEVER when the police find you took nothing you then have the right to sue them for wrongful imprisonment.

My policy? I never give my hard earned money to someone who treats me like a thief! Shop with your feet and don't go there again. The most important person in ANY business is ME. Without me (and all the other me's) they have no business at all.

you dont have to give a reason to refuse admission or service in a shop but you cannot discriminate on grounds of race, disability etc. I used to help out a friend who owned a shop in Brixton and we had to ask a few people to leave over the yearsbut generally they were known to us beforehand and this just prevented an escalation of problems.

All I can say is, it's just as well you didn't grow up in Belfast in the 1970's or 80's.

You've just made me realise why I have such a strong objection to it when there's no good reason :) Never did have a problem with it in Belfast, probably because everybody was searched.