Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • They've actually been behaving themselves for me, recently.  I'm re-signed with them on a variable tariff, meaning not tied in and can leave any time if they get up to their old tricks.  However something I noticed was that when accepting the tariff they actually showed in advance how they expected that annual total to be split into the 12 months.
    • Hi BankFodder, I will keep an eye out 🙂. . .
    • If you don't understand what you're saying then don't say it.   Yes recorded post is a good idea
    • Hi All   really need some help and advice.   i have a PayPal credit facility with a balance of £400. I owe £270 due this month. I am going to phone them and pay this and clear it as it’s a credit contract and I know they can enforce it.   however alongside that I have a negative PayPal balance of £5000 this is not through the PayPal credit. It shouldn’t have happened and I don’t plan to pay that, at least not now.   if I phone PayPal and pay the credit facility with my debit card will that be ok? Or will they use those details to try and get the money back for the 5k negative balance?   thanks for any help. Whilst I appreciate PayPal credit and the negative balance are separate with them being on 1 page on 1 account I wasn’t sure. 
    • Next says future lockdowns of non-essential stores would cost it millions of pounds before Christmas. View the full article
  • Our picks

    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.
      We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.
      After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.
      It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.
      A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?
      After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.
      The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 
      You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.
        • Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.
      I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.
      As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.
      If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.
      They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.
      If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.
      The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.
      They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.
      Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks
        • Like

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1333 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Can someone please tell me how the Council Tax Benefits are worked out when a person earns more than usual for 1 month ? It used to be the case where they had to wait 2 consecutive months before making any changes to the benefit award . Is this still the case or has it changed ?


Also if a person works for a full month but doesn’t get paid until the 15th of the following month do they go by the ‘ full months ‘ wage when working this out or do they work it out between the 15th of one month to the 15th of the next ?


My Son who is a “ non-dependant “ forwards his wage slips every month to the benefits . In April he happened to earn more than usual and in May his wage went back to normal . I have just had a CT bill to pay more from the 1st April to the 5th June . Yes that’s right June, even though his wages went back to normal in the May & his top line was even less in the June. In fact the first 5 days of June he was only at work 1 night the other 4 were nights off .


I tried ringing them about it and the woman on the other end said that they worked it out between 15th to the 15th , even though they have his Monthly wage slips which start on the first day of the Month to the last day . This still doesn’t make sense because this extra payment starts on the 1st April and not 15th .


When I questioned this she hung up on me !!! I can’t seem to get an explanation from anyone. I’ve tried emailing with facts and figures and still no response . They don’t even send an extra sheet of paper anymore with the main bill explaining the new amount or the reason why . It seems to be a case of like it or lump it .


Any help appreciated , thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Council Tax support changed in 2013, so all councils run different systems now. It's been bad for me, because where I previously qualified for some help, now I'm liable for the full amount. Council Tax in my area is pretty steep, too. Anyway, it's now called Council Tax Reduction, and your council will have its own rules regarding wages, income, etc. There's more info on the Citizen's Advice website. I can't link to it, as I've never posted before. Sorry, this probably isn't much help.

Link to post
Share on other sites


This still doesn’t make sense because this extra payment starts on the 1st April and not 15th . When I questioned this she hung up on me !!! I can’t seem to get an explanation from anyone. I’ve tried emailing with facts and figures and still no response


Some Councils are not very good with numbers.

You can write to them to make a formal complaint (the address and procedure will be on their web site) but be sure to put the heading "Formal Complaint - Council Tax Benefit Account ****" and make the first sentence "This is a formal complaint" otherwise they might treat your letter as an informal enquiry.



You should keep a copy of your letter and obtain a (free) posting receipt.

The result of a formal complaint will be that the issues get recorded and someone else will look at things but it's quite possible that, even if you escalate the complaint, it may achieve nothing more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Once you have gone through the standard complaints procedure you can make an appeal to a Valuation Tribunal if you are still not happy with how the CTR has been calculated - they can look at 1) whether the scheme is in itself within the delegated remit the government gave them and 2) whether the council have applied their own scheme correctly.


There's also the possibility of a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman - they can hear complaints about whether the council have acted appropriately and reasonably (they cannot however rule on anything which falls under the remit of the Valuation Tribunal)



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all councils are now different and set their own rules on reductions etc so you do need to speak to your council. I would def file an official complaint so it's looked at by somebody more knowledgable.


If you go to your local citizens advice they will be aware of your local council rules. Sometimes it's had to get an appointment but our local children's centres run a session and sometimes other agencies do too so that's a good way of getting an appointment quicker. They will still do appointments though. I called once to see if any cancellations ( as often people don't turn up) anyway I got the appoint r for the no show as i was just round the corner and they allowed an hour for the appointment

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...