Help - David Lloyd automatic renewal ??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I signed up to David Lloyds gym in York aprox 16 months ago

where I paid upfront, a sum of around £550,

the reason I paid up from was because I was 23 at the time and if I was to pay monthly, when I turned 24 ( half way through the membership ) the monthly price would of increased from around £45 to £70 so it made sense to pay it up front.

I was wrong to assume that after the year was up my contract would be ended.

They said I needed to give a three months notice period to leave the gym?? even though I paid a year up front.

I spoke to them to see what would be the cheapest way for me to do this and due to my age now being 24 it would cost £70 a month or an off peak rate of £52 both of which I cant afford but managed to pay for the first month.

I haven't paid the last two month which came to £107 and now I am getting letters off their debt collcectors saying I owe david Lloyd 107 and owe the £70 so in total £177.

Edited by slick132

well debt collectors are NOT BAILIFFS and have no legal powers ignore them.

and any additional penalty charges they or Lloyds add are totally unlawful too.

three months cancellation is grossly unfair.

Edited by slick132

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

you'd have to consult DL's contract/T&C's to see if they can auto roll your membership?

or did you specifically ask for only 12mts?

were you ever given any T&C's to read/keep?

and was it explained that membership wold roll if you didn't cancel?

slick132 will be around later with more q's

Edited by slick132

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no it wasn't at all explained to me that it would go in to a rolling contract, and I also read that if the circumstances change, which in this case they do because I am being asked to pay £70 a month that I shouldn't be bullied in to paying them. I will come back if they send me any further letters. Thanks

Edited by slick132

Hi and welcome to CAG

Please see my PM to you and reply.

DL are the only gym that demands 3 months notice and we always recommend that you challenge this on the basis that it's unfair. More info please :-

1. Date you joined.

2. Method of paying the years' fees.

3. Have you paid anything since, and by what method.

4. When did you last use the gym.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Also, have a look here at the Citizens Advice opinion - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...ym-membership/

They say :-

If you think your contract terms are unfair

It’s possible that the contract terms dealing with cancellation are unfair. If this is the case, those terms might not be legally binding so you should try to get the the gymicon to let you cancel.

The terms of your contract could be unfair if they, for example:

allow your contract to be automatically renewed without your permission

If you were told you had to pay beyond the 1 year's agreement because you failed to give notice to cancel, this can be challenged .

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

I think I joined in april last year, this was paid in full.

when they then said I had to give three months notice,

I decided that the only way I could pay the money monthly would have the be off peak which was still £52 per month, and not at all suited to the hours I would want to use the gym

I paid for the first of the three months but have two outstanding payment and an added charge from theif debt collectors.

I last used the gym in the first added month of my " notice period " .

also my contract isn't being renewed as they are expecting me to go in to a rolling contract which I didn't want to do originally hence why I paid up front in full. TY

Hi JL,

Thanks for the further info.

We'll help you when DL and/or ARC make further demands, which they surely will.

When the time come, I suggest you will reply to DL complaining that :-

1. Their opinion that you had to give 3 month's notice to leave was misleading and unfair, according to Citizens Advice.

2. The 1 year agreement ended without further obligation to you.

3. You will not be paying DL anything further in m/ship fees or admin charges.

4. You will make formal complaints to Trading Standards and The CMA if DL make further demand, or cause ARC or any other party to harass you for payment.

Do nothing more until DL or ARC make further demands.