• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Special forces Spidy_em VS Ratwest ** WON **

spidy_em
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello, hope i have done this thread thing right...I have put my N1 in and now wait for Natty to get up off her chair and respond to it- they have another 14 days- which is coming up soon.

My claim is for 6K plus the pound- interest pushed me over the 5k mark. Anything I should be concerned about? I have followed the steps by plan...

Kinda feels teh calm before the storm.

:-o Spids

Not another one quoting my name in vain. There's only one Natty on the CAG and that's me!! And I do need to get off my chair and get a drink of water! Seriously, though, Good Luck, I can see you are quite advanced on the claim as many arrive here with merely the beginning of what can I claim so its good to see you at that stage. It may be worth a further reading of the NatWest successes to keep you aware of what may follow.

Don't be concerned about anything. There probably isn't anything they can throw at you now that you can't find an answer to on here.

The same advice I now give to everyone. Stick to one thread (this one) that way we have the whole picture. If you have any questions - ask. Read the FAQ's over and over again - there is so much information there.

Above all - enjoy the experience of getting your own back.

Paul

• Haha 1

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

DEFENCE

1. This Defence is filed and served without prejudice to the Defendant's case that the

Particulars of Claim do not disclose reasonable grounds for bringing a claim

against the Claimants to recover the bank charges (and interest thereon) referred

to in the Particulars of Claim or any other sum(s). In the event that the Claimants

do not properly particularise their claim then the Defendant will apply to strike out

the claim and/or for summary judgement in respect of the same.

2. On allocation the Defendant invites the Court to direct that there be a case

management conference in order for the Court to consider the making of

appropriate orders to give the Claimants the opportunity to properly particularise

their claim.

3. No admissions are made as to what charges have been debited to the Claimants'

bank account.

4. In relation to the allegation that the contractual provisions pursuant to which the

charges have been applied are unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract

Terms Act 1977 ("UCTA 1977") and/or the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer

Regulations 1999 ("the Regulations") and/or the common law, the Claimants are required to identify:

4.1 (a) the section(s) of The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 ("UCTA 1977");

(b) the regulations of The Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Regulations

1999 ("the Regulations"); and © the principles of common law relied upon

by the Claimants in alleging that the contractual provision(s) referred to are

unenforceable; and

4.2 the contractual provision(s) that the Claimants allege are invalid by

reference to UCTA 1977 and/or the Regulations.

Until such time as these sections/regulations/provisions are identified the Defendant cannot (save as appears below) plead to the allegation referred to in paragraph 4 above. The Defendant therefore reserves its right to plead further to the allegation once (and if) the Claimants identify the relevant contractual information.

5. Save as hereinbefore appears the Defendant joins issue with the Claimants on their claim(s) and denies that it is liable to the Claimant as alleged or at all.

Regulations 1999 ("the Regulations") and/or the common law, the Claimants are required to identify:

4.1 (a) the section(s) of The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 ("UCTA 1977");

(b) the regulations of The Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Regulations

1999 ("the Regulations"); and © the principles of common law relied upon

by the Claimants in alleging that the contractual provision(s) referred to are

unenforceable; and

4.2 the contractual provision(s) that the Claimants allege are invalid by

reference to UCTA 1977 and/or the Regulations.

Until such time as these sections/regulations/provisions are identified the Defendant cannot (save as appears below) plead to the allegation referred to in paragraph 4 above. The Defendant therefore reserves its right to plead further to the allegation once (and if) the Claimants identify the relevant contractual information.

5. Save as hereinbefore appears the Defendant joins issue with the Claimants on their claim(s) and denies that it is liable to the Claimant as alleged or at all.

Hello fellow troops....as you can see I have got the letter today- has anyone got this one- My eyes are fried....but I am not blind...ok just need to know the standard letter for this one and what is this case management conferance? WHA? do I bring biscuits?

It kinda feels like the softly approach- but stalling as well!

Looking forward to a reply...Your fellow comrade

Looks like a standard defense letter to me, sit back and wait for their next course of action, you may get a CPR18 or an AQ or an offer....have a look at my thread to see your defense is nothing to worry about, they send it to everyone. Bet it even had those lil posh cardboards thingies on the corners?

I presume you used the correct PoC on your claim too?

• Haha 1

Ex CAG helper ^_^

Yadda, yadda. This is all pretty standard. In fact mine had 9 points - you've only got 5! Well done.

Did you get a CPR Part 18 request for further info with this? If so you will need to write to them (and copy to court) telling them that you refuse to answer as it's intimidatory. If not, you don't need to do anything.

Next you will get an AQ from the court. There's a template for this - make sure you ask for "standard disclosure" aswell though. This means they must provide a breakdown of how they arrive at the charge figures. They hate this and will fold if a judge orders it.

• Haha 1

NatWest Charges: £3708.81. Allocated to fast track 14/10/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 23/10/06 5% donation made

HSBC Default Removal and £186 charges: N1 claim issued 28/11/06 *WON* 28/02/07 5% donation made

Egg Charges: £370. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/01/07 5% donation made

Natwest Student: £150. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 10/12/06 5% donation made

Natwest Credit card: £317.01 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INTEREST, *WON* 30/11/06 5% Donation Made

Ikano Data Protection Act deception and non-complience: N1 claim issued 28/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/12/06 5% donation made

I am not a lawyer. All advice is merely my own opinion. Nevertheless, I've won £4675 so far!

Tip my scales if you like my advice :)

Wooo, crossed posts! You're on the ball today, chedder ;)

NatWest Charges: £3708.81. Allocated to fast track 14/10/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 23/10/06 5% donation made

HSBC Default Removal and £186 charges: N1 claim issued 28/11/06 *WON* 28/02/07 5% donation made

Egg Charges: £370. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/01/07 5% donation made

Natwest Student: £150. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 10/12/06 5% donation made

Natwest Credit card: £317.01 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INTEREST, *WON* 30/11/06 5% Donation Made

Ikano Data Protection Act deception and non-complience: N1 claim issued 28/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/12/06 5% donation made

I am not a lawyer. All advice is merely my own opinion. Nevertheless, I've won £4675 so far!

What does Poc mean- tried to look in glossary- the letter is all they sent-

:o Now I feel the 'special cheddar ' moment is lost- I feel so cheap. Everyone gets the card board corners,!!!???!!!! here i thought I was special!!!

OK so just wait for the CPR18 and the AQ.

I followed the steps and timelimits as set out by my fellow comrades,

Cheers

Spids

PoC = Particulars of Claim - what you wrote on the claim form

Check that you didn't already get the CPR Part 18. Mine came with the defence. I says 'request for further information' on it and is 'persuant to part 18'.

If you didn't then just wait for the AQ

I got a defence and a CPR 18 today so ours might be in the same pile to be dealt with!

Son v Halifax settled in full £292

Another son v Halifax settled in full £30

Bigmama59 v NatWest settled in full £4739.69:)

Son v Halifax 2nd claim settled in full £130

Bigmama v Halifax settled in full £1125

Hello:

No this was all they sent, there was a covering letter just saying they were instructed by NatWest, and enclose a by way of service the defend. defence and they have filed a copy of the same with the court.

They also ask me to acknowledge the reciept.( do I? cause i have sent them the breakdown of the charges- sounds like a stalling...)

I have just called the court and they are sending out the AQ.

What i can seef rom the defence is they want me to particularise the claim. case managemnt conference...

Spids

Hey Spidy,

I had exactly the same defence from them (as have others on this forum) - mine also came without a CPR 18 request.

With me they also asked I acknowledged receipt of their defence. So, maybe do what I did - I sent a one sentance response saying I had received their defence. yours Sincerely etc etc

Mine was dated 15th November; AQ arrived in the post yesterday.

Keep us posted!

Ok - LOL oh that is good- had the AQ- I will have to sit down and have a good read as it is pretty heavy in some places- anyone walked through the paperwork and have any tips? or a guide?

Mine was dated 20 nov.

What cheesed me off was the wanting to sit around a table for a conference! WHA? Will they come back and say well you never responded to our requests....

I will read through tonight about the be on chat..

Spidy in arms!

My AQ came yesterday and I've got until 10th December to send it back

Son v Halifax settled in full £292

Another son v Halifax settled in full £30

Bigmama59 v NatWest settled in full £4739.69:)

Son v Halifax 2nd claim settled in full £130

Bigmama v Halifax settled in full £1125

Just found the AQ help in the templates- I think my AQ has to be in the 10th.I had a think about the letter and the request for me to breakdown the charges. The more I thought about it- they just turned around exaactly what I was asking them. I thought cheeky so and so's. I have read through your thread and it was helpful, to see that the feelin I am having now you went through and hey...you won..I am feeling GOOOODDDDDDDD.

Spids

Hello all, I am in the process of doing the AQ nad have filled everything out except section F- I have sent the list of charges, interest and the reason for claiming...should i be sending anything else?

section G- I do not have a sols, but have incurred costs- this was one of my points in the POC- costs and interest.

section H- documents? other than the standard POC info.

I am sending this through small claims ( £4704.65) then it puts it over with the interest. The AQ from sent to me was a N150.

I have yet to send an acknowledment to cobbits about their defense. Can i follow your line if letter cheddar? Is it a standard letter of defense ( likely it is, I just want confirmation it is)

Spidy- just needing some TLC:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Our client: National West

1'"

We refer to the above matter. ' *,

Our client considers that your challenge to its charges would fail in Court. Our client believes that its charges are fair, reasonable and transparent. It considers that the amounts debited to your account have been applied strictly in accordance with your agreement with it and its published tariff. Our client is also committed to ensuring the transparency of the information that it gives to its customers about the operation of its products. As such, our client does not believe that your claim has any prospect of succeeding.

However, as a gesture of goodwill and strictly on the basis that our client rejects any liability to you, it is willing to offer you a goodwill payment of £3,000.

Acceptance by you of this goodwill payment will be in full and final settlement of your claim against our client and strictly on the basis that:-

you agree not to disclose to any third party the fact of, or any details relating to, this payment: you write to the Court withdrawing your claim.

Whilst this letter is written without prejudice save as to costs, in the event that you decline this offer, we will draw this letter to the Court's attention on the basis that we hold the firm view that this offer is entirely reasonable in the circumstances.

We look forward to hearing from you.

I got this letter today...yawn...i have to put my AQ in by the 11th. does this deem a response? Looks pretty threatening....mind you thye said they would meet me in court...hummmm....

Its their standard 50% offer - you are getting there - try the letter below for a refusal of their offer.

Thank you for your letter dated 24th October received by myself today.

I accept your offer of £3000, as partial settlement of my claim, on the understanding that I will pursue the remainder through the court. I am confident that should this matter proceed to a hearing I will win, unconditionally.

To clarify, I will consider the claim to be settled in full and will inform the courts accordingly when I receive payment of the full amount on the claim including costs and interest. At today’s date this is £xxxx and is continuing to attract interest at a daily rate of £xx

Furthermore, I am not prepared to agree to any confidentially clauses you try to impose, unless of course your client wishes to make an offer of due consideration in addition to the amount of £xxxx in order to be afforded this privilege by myself.

I look forward to your prompt response in settling this claim

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

"unless of course your client wishes to make an offer of due consideration in addition to the amount of £xxxx in order to be afforded this privilege by myself."

so in this part I am looking at only in the case of them settling in whole plus costs- I agree to not disclose the amount to anyone- abit late no? I will respond using the same format, cheers for that. I do not understand the last bit though- am I just saying I may or may not disclose and it will beup to me whether or not I do?

Just reminder to myself- the daily interest is the used to calculate the chrages or the 8%-? or is it the same- scary I know-ok thye are the same? sorry the last bit here is doing brain fry.

Oh yes the AQ went in on Friday- Cobbits have given me till Tues- should I mentuion tis as well?

Thanks for the help!!

Spidys- chowing down on some rations

• 1 month later...