Impending Council Tax problem

luau

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have received an overpayment of council tax benefit which has meant that i have just been issued with a new council tax bill.

This means that i now owe my full years council tax.

I cannot afford to pay their instalment plan and have written to them advising i cannot pay as requested.

I have cleared the odd amount leaving round figures and have advised i can pay £100 per month.

This would leave me owing £500 going into the new financial year.

They have written to me and said that whilst they sympathise, should i not pay as they have requested and clear the balance this year they will take recovery action and put a liability order in place which will add £120 on.

What can i do?????

It seems a little unfair when i am tackling this before any arrears arise.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Get onto your local councillors and MP NOW! via https://www.writetothem.com/

Whose oversight was this? How did this overpayment come about??

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

if you are still on CTB they will know that you dont have the means to pay any extra. The reality is that you will clear the old debt and create a new one for this years liability but they are being obstinate in not reallocating the debt. As said, speak to councillor and explain this to get the accounts redefined

if you are still on CTB they will know that you dont have the means to pay any extra. The reality is that you will clear the old debt and create a new one for this years liability but they are being obstinate in not reallocating the debt. As said, speak to councillor and explain this to get the accounts redefined

I don't get any council tax benefits nor housing benefit now. I cannot however, afford to pay £170 + per month for 6 months. £100 is all i can afford to pay which will leave a "debt" of £500 moving forward into next council tax period.

Get onto your local councillors and MP NOW! via https://www.writetothem.com/

Whose oversight was this? How did this overpayment come about??

Sadly the overpayment is correct. I have checked and double checked.

Throughout the period i have kept recieving award notices due to "a change in circumstances" - i just presumed these were correct as they were when a change had happened! I spoke to the council about this when i was setting up a DD with for my rent and the lady i spoke to just agreed they were complex to understand. I should have called the cb/hb office and asked for an explanation and i would have then realised but i didn't. I recieved a letter around 4 weeks ago asking for me to submit all income evidence - i did and then i recieved the overpayment. The council tax bill followed.

I have just contactes my local mp via email.

Just had a thought - i will need to cancel my DD as they will try and take their payment. Is there anyway i can find out their bank details so i can set up a SO to pay my £100 per month without actually phoning them? I'd rather the payment was automated so that i don't forget or miss one etc

If your council tax bills are anything like the ones I get, there should be a "How to pay" section on the back. It will include their bank details or it might even be on the direct debit mandate slip.

If there isn't any information on the reverse of the bill, you could try asking your bank for the account number & sort code previous direct debits were made to.

When you set up the standing order, make sure your CTX account number is included in the payment reference that your bank sends to their bank. With this number, the council should be able to identify any/all payments you make.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.