Missing Service History

alex495
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, first time poster looking for some advice.

I bought a used Vauxhall Astra GTC last year from Taggarts and all seemed well until I brought it home and found the service history was missing. I contacted the garage and was told it was still at the garage and would be posted out to me. Weeks went by and I never got my hands on the service history and when I contacted again I was told it was lost but that a copy could be gained from the vauxhall database. Frequent messages continued for months before I eventually complained last month and I received a reply from the manager that the service history would not be retrievable as it was not carried out at a vauxhall garage and the previous owner could not remember the garage she used for servicing.

I am to have a meeting on Saturday to discuss the resolution but I am not sure what my rights are. I would never have purchased a car without a complete service history and this will surely have an effect on the value of my car. As the sale happened so long ago am I entitled to my money back or compensation? I was not sure if it counted as being miss sold due to the fact the garage lost the history and didn't not lie about it. I am more annoyed that it took over a year for them to find out the history wasn't retrievable and that the sales agent I dealt with only gave me excuse after excuse.

I really appreciate any help as I am very in experienced with these types of situations.

"previous owner could not remember the garage she used for servicing"

This happens to all of us, surely!

Yeah I completely understand someone forgetting where they have their car serviced. My issue is with the garage not the previous owner.

I don't think this has anything to do with the previous owner. The car was advertised with service history and none was supplied. False/misleading advertising, an inducement to buy with a false claim.

Yeah it doesn't the garage had just contacted her as a last resort to see about getting a copy. I didnt mean it to sound like I was blaming the last owner nine if this is her fault.

And thanks for your advice

They haven't forgotten where they had it serviced...no way. I'll bet it's hardly been serviced.

Get the garage to buy it back from you as it is not what you bought. Bear in mind you have had a years use out of it, and expect an appropriate reduction for that (15%?)

If they won't then take them to small claim court for the difference...say you paid £5000 for the car, you would reasonably expect £4250 now after a years usage (tough on the garage that the trade price is now £3500) and claim for the £750 difference, and you keep the car.

They haven't forgotten where they had it serviced...no way. I'll bet it's hardly been serviced.

Get the garage to buy it back from you as it is not what you bought. Bear in mind you have had a years use out of it, and expect an appropriate reduction for that (15%?)

If they won't then take them to small claim court for the difference...say you paid £5000 for the car, you would reasonably expect £4250 now after a years usage (tough on the garage that the trade price is now £3500) and claim for the £750 difference, and you keep the car.

Thanks for the response, I paid £8700 including a p/x does that make any difference to how I would proceed?

Thanks for the response, I paid £8700 including a p/x does that make any difference to how I would proceed?

Yes, I would ask them to buy the car back from you for £7500...so you have paid £1200 for a years use of it.

If they wont have that (I reckon they will offer you around £6000 for it) then take them to court for £1200 on the basis that the car was worth £8700 with history or £7500 without history at the time you bought it, so you are 'owed' £1200.

They wont like it but that's tough. They knew it had no history. They always do. I am an ex car dealer. I always knew...but then again I never claimed FSH if it was untrue.

Yes, I would ask them to buy the car back from you for £7500...so you have paid £1200 for a years use of it.

If they wont have that (I reckon they will offer you around £6000 for it) then take them to court for £1200 on the basis that the car was worth £8700 with history or £7500 without history at the time you bought it, so you are 'owed' £1200.

They wont like it but that's tough. They knew it had no history. They always do. I am an ex car dealer. I always knew...but then again I never claimed FSH if it was untrue.

Cheers I really appreciate your help, i'll let you know how I get on tomorrow with them.

Cheers I really appreciate your help, i'll let you know how I get on tomorrow with them.

I spoke to the manager today and he was pretty unhelpful. He told me that it apparently wasn't a "big deal" as it wasn't a really new car although it is only four years old and he offered no sort of compensation. Instead he said he would offer me a "fair" trade in price for it but I would not be open to a trade and would rather spend the time getting a good price selling privately as I have previously been screwed over trading in a car.

After the phone call I sought more advice and sent him an email saying I would want him to buy the car back at a price I could get selling privately after I checked glass' and honest John valuation sites or to pay the difference in value between my car with and without a service history.

I wasn't sure how to proceed if he declines however, as on the lookers website it says if you are not satisfied to contact the financial ombudsmen but some people had mentioned a small claims court.

If the potential loses on the car had been only £100-200 I would have bit the bullet to avoid a fuss but I can't afford to lose as much as some of the articles I have read claim a service history is worth. I'm also pretty young and inexperienced and I don't want the manager feeling he can walk all over me.

I just feel incredibly stupid after being lied to for a full year and believing it all :/

Do you think it would be worth pursuing further if he refuses?

yes definitely.

on a 4yo £8k odd car it makes huge difference.

but be sensible.

either they buy it back for sensible money or you take them to SCC for the difference in value when you bought the car. £1200 max but anything you get is a bonus.